Check-In 108: Abundant Palindromic Tetranacci

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-In 108: Abundant Palindromic Tetranacci

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, compadres. :coffee:

Nothing expected for today.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Looks like the heat in my car has quit again. Sigh. :mellow:
scottydog wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:50 am
I'd like to help my students become better writers. Do any of you know of any strategies for accomplishing that?
Read incessantly, and pay attention to everything the writer does and why.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:30 am
and amazed myself as scoring better in m ath than engish - usually the reverse - winder if age or menopause or coffee was why? or maybe im used to aussie english not english english... lol
I wouldn't be surprised these days if they're making the tests easier.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:43 pm
Nothing is the best that can happen these days. :lol:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:40 pm
Oh no. I told you that when it comes to cars. you are cursed. :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Read incessantly, and pay attention to everything the writer does and why.
That's fantastic advice. Everyone says reading makes for better writing. But you've improved that to say that we should pay attention. Look at sentence structure, word choice, transitions, flow, structure, etc.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
:no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:43 pm
Nothing is the best that can happen these days. :lol:
The quiet beauty of boredom. :lol:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. a dead monday lies ahead - empty of content and of L. i may go to the plot, rustington, cbn, store, or just do chores and sulk.
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

For a change, my absence was just me. I'd swear it wasn't that many days ago, but then I get here and check and it's been about two weeks. Let's see, what have I done? Well, first I tried to save what was left of my gardens, but that was a waste of time as the temps fell, so then I had to pull all the tarps out and clear out whatever I could salvage.
We did some work on the disaster areas. They still look like we had a disaster.
I took the car in, finally, to have it checked over for the insurance guy, for repair costs. $3,900 and some change. Amazing how much damage shingles can do.
We got the roof covering completed... okay, my son did, but I helped a little. Then I went about picking up sticks. That will be a year long job in itself, especially when we had another storm that blew down some of the damaged limbs that were still up in the trees.
Then some work on the horse shelters. Which I did more today and about froze my fingers off. There is more to go, but this was to close them off to keep the old mare warmer.
Started work on the fireplace insert. The glass was broken out years ago, so I opened it up to see what it will take to pull it out of there and close it up for now.
Made a ton of calls. One of which was to speak to the banker again, find out what is going on. That got interesting. I have the abstract, I have always had the abstract since my mother's passing. The first meeting with the lawyer, I had it with me and he took copies, but in a recent call to my banker, he said that I told him it was lost. So, I went in to see her and give her the abstract and she called him. He again told her how I said it was lost and she told him that it was funny because she had it right in front of her. He insisted that I said it was lost (so it clearly wasn't his error).
I had to leave it with her to give to him, and let me just say, I don't trust him to not lose it, or to possibly refuse to hand it back over. So before I left I told her that I am trusting her to keep it safe and to return it. She actually looked briefly worried, but promised she would make sure it didn't get lost.
This lawyer gives out apparently important information in dribs and drabs. This all should have been done last February, but instead, we are still nowhere near done with buying the place. Last Feb. it was the total that he didn't send to the banker, even though he and I spoke and it was going to be done, he swore it. Finally, in May he got that done. Then in July... I don't remember what that was he didn't give to the banker, but I waited and then we had the storm. And the most recent was the abstract. This can't be new to him, so why all the delays? Well, I have my theory and that is that a neighbor desperately wants the place, and he is clearly more important than I am. I got news for them.
One of the calls was how voting was going to be done this year. It was easy, mask, ID, vote, all done. I think they should do it this way for every election. Have an election week or two, instead of day.
And the highlight of this week. A parade for trump. It consisted at the start, of three pick-ups and a car, plus some insane woman in an SUV who actually pulled in front of another vehicle, blocking them at the stoplight. It was red, they couldn't go anyway, so that just upped the stupidity factor, but she was jumping up and down, and cheering and taking a video of them as they went by. Pretty sure they didn't have a permit for their parade, so her stopping traffic was plenty illegal. If I had been in the vehicle she blocked, I'd have crept right up to her SUV, laid on the horn and told her to f'ing move. Unfortunately, I was on the opposite side and had to wait for the light, but I did not wait for them to finish going through, when the light turned, I went (the car had to stop and they honked at me for going through on GREEN). As they drove around, their number grew, but not by much.
Even if it had been a parade for Biden, I wouldn't have been happy. This isn't Toyland, we still have laws, and there should be respect for others, which was not shown.
RJ wrote in last thread: All through that story, I was expecting you to fall to the ground and get trampled or something. That is a very atypical Elara story. :lol:
Fall, maybe (probably). Trampled, never. Bucky was very careful with us kids when we were little. He'd fire right up when Dad got on him, then completely shut down if one of us got up there. Just the perfect horse. I adored him. :sweetlove:
scottydog wrote in last thread: Wow, you were only five at the time? You're really drawn to animals, and they can sense when someone is friend or foe. You definitely are high in naturalistic intelligence :yes: Plus it sounds like you had a great dad :oldman:
If you had asked my mother, my hanging out with animals was annoying. Probably because there was no telling which animal. She was positive I was going to get worms. :lol: I've just always loved being around them, even had a wild coyote for a short while.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:52 pm
Lizzie is bringing in a rat per night now. Looks like we're making headway in the rat wars.
Wow, that's great. Rats aren't common here, but the neighbor years ago had lots of them because he didn't cover his grain. And once a year, he'd put out some kind of poison or something, and the surviving rats would leave for awhile. One year I found this huge (body length about 7 inches, so huge to me) rat in my barn. I ran and grabbed the cat, to be fair, she wasn't a big cat, and took her down to the barn. The rat, not being the slightest bit afraid, came out of the hay and strolled right by us. Fuzz (the cat) looked at the rat, looked at me, back at the rat and ran out of the barn. :lol:
Desperate, I called my dog, who was about the size of a beagle (his mommy was a Weimaraner, his daddy a mini dachshund, and no, I don't know how that was accomplished). Anyway, the rat came out, the dog pounced, he shook the heck out of it and my rat problem was done.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Back to work, but it's just a three-day week before my Halloween vacation begins.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:56 pm
Oh no. I told you that when it comes to cars. you are cursed. :no:
It would seem so.
That's fantastic advice. Everyone says reading makes for better writing. But you've improved that to say that we should pay attention. Look at sentence structure, word choice, transitions, flow, structure, etc.
Exactly. All that stuff and more.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:56 pm
Boredom is my favorite hobby. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:08 am
GM. a dead monday lies ahead - empty of content and of L. i may go to the plot, rustington, cbn, store, or just do chores and sulk.
You should think happy thoughts instead of sulk. :yes:
Elara wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:33 am
For a change, my absence was just me.
The Internet has actually been working? :eek:
I took the car in, finally, to have it checked over for the insurance guy, for repair costs. $3,900 and some change. Amazing how much damage shingles can do.
Too bad they don't have a Shingles vaccine for cars. :(
I had to leave it with her to give to him, and let me just say, I don't trust him to not lose it, or to possibly refuse to hand it back over.
I have no idea what an abstract is, but why does he have to have the original?
This lawyer gives out apparently important information in dribs and drabs.
And can't you get a different lawyer?
Well, I have my theory and that is that a neighbor desperately wants the place, and he is clearly more important than I am.
You think the neighbor bought him off?
I've just always loved being around them, even had a wild coyote for a short while.
That's interesting. Was he always falling into canyons? :D
Anyway, the rat came out, the dog pounced, he shook the heck out of it and my rat problem was done.
That's good. You would have had to go for the horse next. :lol:

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

OMG! I forgot all about the Halloween party thread!!!!! I'll create one this evening.

Good morning!

Yesterday, my family had a clam bake for my niece, Ruby's, 2nd birthday. I enjoyed seeing my mom, and playing with the kids.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Monday, everyone :hello:

Today's a very busy day of teaching and zoom meetings. One of my favorite students emailed me last night to say she's been fighting some really bad anxiety and depression. That makes me sad, as she's such a good kid. I'll let her turn in her assignments late.
Elara wrote:
For a change, my absence was just me. I'd swear it wasn't that many days ago, but then I get here and check and it's been about two weeks.
Wow, and you've done A LOT in those two weeks! It's hard for me to wrap my mind around how much storm damage you had. What would you do without your son's help?

And that Trump parade -- ughh. We need to 'Make Fascism Unpopular Again'.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:44 am
Back to work, but it's just a three-day week before my Halloween vacation begins.
Woohoo! I know this is your favorite time of year. :skull:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:44 am
Lupine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:56 pm
Boredom is my favorite hobby. :lol:
Hmm. I actually fear boredom :lol:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

You should think happy thoughts instead of sulk.
i choose to sulk.i prefer to sulk. i d not want to enjoy unenjoyable time. i have a purpose to live for and not being able to live it means i am NOT content whatver false sm iles i shove on my face - therefore i prefer to SULK!

done chores. dne laun dry. walked to rustington b ut the swans have left the lake. hit two stores. making food/drinking wine and |SULKING!
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, fellow citizens. :coffee:
Elara wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:52 pm
Lizzie is bringing in a rat per night now. Looks like we're making headway in the rat wars.
Wow, that's great. Rats aren't common here, but the neighbor years ago had lots of them because he didn't cover his grain. And once a year, he'd put out some kind of poison or something, and the surviving rats would leave for awhile. One year I found this huge (body length about 7 inches, so huge to me) rat in my barn. I ran and grabbed the cat, to be fair, she wasn't a big cat, and took her down to the barn. The rat, not being the slightest bit afraid, came out of the hay and strolled right by us. Fuzz (the cat) looked at the rat, looked at me, back at the rat and ran out of the barn. :lol:
:lol: My mother had a ferret who'd just look at the mice that would get into his cage.
Cayla wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:53 am
OMG! I forgot all about the Halloween party thread!!!!! I'll create one this evening.
Better late than never! :jack_o_lantern:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I have to remember to bring my car in tomorrow morning. One good thing about this car is that it gives me a lot exercise.
Cayla wrote:
I was just thinking about that today. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:03 am
Hmm. I actually fear boredom :lol:
Funnily enough, I'm going Trick or Treating as Boredom this year.
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 pm
i choose to sulk.i prefer to sulk. i d not want to enjoy unenjoyable time. i have a purpose to live for and not being able to live it means i am NOT content whatver false sm iles i shove on my face - therefore i prefer to SULK!
Okay, well hopefully sulking will end soon. :yes:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:58 pm
:lol: My mother had a ferret who'd just look at the mice that would get into his cage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikm3o5hDks

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :lol:
Great hunter.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today's teaching went well. We talked about villainy and what causes it. Students really love discussing what causes people to become either heroes or villains. It still blows my mind that the latest film version of The Joker portrays him as a hero.
Cayla wrote:

I see you just created it. Be there in a sec.
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 pm
making food/drinking wine and |SULKING!
For me, red wine helps me sulk whereas white wine brings me out of my sulking.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:15 pm
I have to remember to bring my car in tomorrow morning. One good thing about this car is that it gives me a lot exercise.
Hmmm. Somehow I think cars are supposed to reduce exercising :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:15 pm
Rat Loves Cat Video
That's not love -- that's OBSESSION! :lol: :rat:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM ^ i dont have enough wine for an effect - just a flavor.
ahead cleaning for J and rain