Re: Check-In 110:sphenic supercentenarian pronic darmstadtium.

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Re: Re: Check-In 110:sphenic supercentenarian pronic darmstadtium.

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:10 pm
Gary wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:46 pm
The action on the Will shows as pending, which is very unusual considering this was back in October, 2018. The property still shows being titled in both their names, so we concluded the brother who was the Executor of the Estate skipped a step. He seems to have thought all he had to do was throw the keys at the bank and his part is done. Apparently, he needed to transfer the title to the Estate so the mortgage company could then transfer it for proper and legal clear chain of title.
Is it possible that you and your brothers already own it, or can claim it?
No, we cannot claim it. My dad played these games where he obtained a reverse mortgage. You see, unlike most other people's parents, my dad had this idea in his head that no one else had any idea what it means to have suffered in life. My siblings and I were always bombarded with stories about The Great Depression and how he suffered (my did slightly, although she grew up in backwoods Wisconsin where it wasn't that bad). Since he suffered in his life and the rest of us didn't then we didn't deserve any kind of inheritance. Now, I'm not saying we were deserving but he was an overall very selfish person with zero empathy for others. He was horrible at managing money, and we have no idea what all he blew it on with the amount of largesse he acquired with the reverse mortgage.

The house is supposed to be owned by HUD, but this is where I keep finding surprises. Second oldest brother is the primary Power of Attorney for the property with my oldest brother as the secondary. The primary is also the Executor of the Estate, which means upon their death he should have transferred ownership of the property to the Estate and then to HUD. Since he "threw the keys at the bank" he has not followed through in his fiduciary responsibilities toward the Estate. Oldest brother found the POA paperwork, which is how I know he's the second. He can assume the primary role if the current primary is unwilling or unable to execute his responsibilities. I am going to contact the Recorder's Office tomorrow to learn what action is pending on the Will, which is probably Probate. I will then pass the information to the oldest brother who will then contact the attorney who drafted the POA. He may be able to get answers and guidance since oldest brother was expressing interest in acquiring the house to fix up and sell. The problem is the other brother who kept screaming he "didn't want to deal with it" and was "going to have an estate sale" which never happened.

Meanwhile, today was a company holiday. Ran into town to get some goods from Wal Mart and the grocery store. Read some training material and took a nap. I have to wash some dishes. I am planning to make a batch of Chai Tea for tomorrow and am tempted to try cooking it in the InstaPot rather than the slow cooker.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Got led into a genealogy rabbit hole today. Some on an Ancestry stated in a comment on a photo that an ancestral aunt was an only child and not connected to the Lewis family line (despite her last name being Lewis). Spent probably too much of the day double-checking all my info.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

It was a long drive with heavier-than-normal traffic due to it being MLK Day. But we made it and now I am collapsing :sleep:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:49 pm
Have another safe trip! :palm_tree:
Thanks, we made it safely! :thumbsup:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:07 pm
Got led into a genealogy rabbit hole today. Some on an Ancestry stated in a comment on a photo that an ancestral aunt was an only child and not connected to the Lewis family line (despite her last name being Lewis). Spent probably too much of the day double-checking all my info.
Was this on Ancestry dot come? Was the person wrong who made that comment?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:48 pm
They're not allowed to cross state lines?
It is very interesting that the NC-SC border is roughly the palm tree line. You do see some scraggly, unhealthy looking palms north of the line but they look like they've been through a meat grinder. :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:48 pm
Sort of a vibrating-tongue-against-the-roof-of-my-mouth purr.
Any chance we can get a recording of this grape-growl? :lol:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. ahead, despite wind and rain, a hike with L.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

humph so much fr a hike wth L - been postponed from 930am to2pm de to rain.....sulksulk
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Today we will pay the price for the three-day weekend.
Gary wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:09 pm
Now, I'm not saying we were deserving but he was an overall very selfish person with zero empathy for others. He was horrible at managing money, and we have no idea what all he blew it on with the amount of largesse he acquired with the reverse mortgage.
It sounds like you're describing my Father. :lol:
I am going to contact the Recorder's Office tomorrow to learn what action is pending on the Will, which is probably Probate. I will then pass the information to the oldest brother who will then contact the attorney who drafted the POA.
Hopefully this will all work out in your favor when the dust settles.
Lupine wrote:
That's weird. Was this a relative or complete stranger who made the comment?
scottydog wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:58 pm
It is very interesting that the NC-SC border is roughly the palm tree line. You do see some scraggly, unhealthy looking palms north of the line but they look like they've been through a meat grinder. :no:
Strange. I wonder if it's just a coincidence or has something to do with the way the different States maintain their land.
Any chance we can get a recording of this grape-growl? :lol:
Now there's an idea for a thread: Weird noises that ReNexters make with their mouths. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:47 am
GM. ahead, despite wind and rain, a hike with L.
A walk in the rain can be fun if it's not too cold. :yes:

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Happy Chewsday, all :hello:

And the Spring semester begins.... It will be my final spring semester :D. I have no Tuesday classes so it's prepping for tomorrow's classes and attending a few Zoom meetings. That's about it.
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:31 am
humph so much fr a hike wth L - been postponed from 930am to2pm de to rain.....sulksulk
I hope you can go on this hike this afternoon :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 am
Gary wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:09 pm
Now, I'm not saying we were deserving but he was an overall very selfish person with zero empathy for others. He was horrible at managing money, and we have no idea what all he blew it on with the amount of largesse he acquired with the reverse mortgage.
It sounds like you're describing my Father. :lol:
Good men seem to be in short supply -- especially good fathers. Sigh.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Now there's an idea for a thread: Weird noises that ReNexters make with their mouths. :lol:
My weird noises are my stomach growls. The Wife can hardly believe what she hears :lol:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

It is a long story why I did not check in, yesterday. I purchased a kitchen island for my bedroom. It wasn't suppose to arrive until Jan 26. It arrived Sunday. I'm glad it did, because it came in 2 boxes, and both were too heavy for me to get it into the house and up the steps to my room. Aaron was home to do this for me. In my excitement, I spent the rest of Sunday organizing all of the parts, and disposing of the packaging. I wanted to prove to myself, that I can be a big girl and put this thing together myself. Sunday night, I got to step 8 of 16. This was the middle section of inside shelves, already attached to the flimsy back, needing to be attached to the base. It fell apart. I decided to go to bed and begin again in the morning. Needless to say, yesterday was fill with a lot of frustration and tears. I put too much pressure on myself to prove I can do things on my own. I felt like a complete failure. Kelly kept intervening to give me pep talks, and to tell me to let Aaron do it. When Aaron arrived home from work, I asked him to help me. It took him 4 tries to get this section attached to the base. He said it was stupid. :lol: I felt better knowing it wasn't just me being helpless and a failure. It took him 3 hours to get steps 8-16 done...2 hours just on step 8. I spent the rest of the evening organizing my room, which I plan to finish this morning. It looks great, and was just what I needed for more storage. It also has shelves on both sides. I'm going to pull my books out of the bins in my closet for the books. My microwave and coffee maker are on top of the island.

When I moved in, Ron mounted my tv to the wall above where the island is now. He ran an extension cord behind my dresser to the outlet. I pulled the extension cord out, and found that he plugged a 3 prong cord, into a two prong extension cord. What the F was he thinking? It could have started a fire.

Today, after I finish organizing and cleaning my room, I am going to work at the church.

Gary, what a nightmare! I hope this gets sorted out for you.

scottydog welcome back to reality. How exciting for you, to know this will be your last Spring semester!
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, survivors and welcome to the last full day of Trump-Hell. :fire: :hello: :fire:

Variable plans today depending on the weather.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:58 pm
Lupine wrote:
Was this on Ancestry dot come? Was the person wrong who made that comment?
It was on Ancestry, she made the comment on one of the photos (for some reason). As if she's right or not: I can't be 100% certain. Too often in genealogy you do find yourself making estimations due to spotty record keeping. But the people in question came from the same state, were literally living next door to each other from 1854 to 1856, and were keeping the same naming traditions. Since the question has been brought up though I did notice that I can't find (yet) any DNA matches from that branch so I can't resoundingly dismiss the notion. :conf: :unsure:
RJDiogenes wrote:
That's weird. Was this a relative or complete stranger who made the comment?
I don't know her, though she probably is a relative as 90% of the Lewis's from that time and place were related in some fashion (both my grandmother and grandfather descend from them).
Cayla wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:07 pm
Needless to say, yesterday was fill with a lot of frustration and tears. I put too much pressure on myself to prove I can do things on my own. I felt like a complete failure.
You should have seen me installing the garbage disposal. I spent nearly an hour fighting with an O-ring.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

no hike...still raining,... :( covid test negative - apparently the client is due home again tomorrow...(how long before we next call the ambulance??)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

I hate it when Monday falls on a Tuesday. :coma:
scottydog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 am
And the Spring semester begins.... It will be my final spring semester :D.
Wow. Pretty exciting, huh? :D
Good men seem to be in short supply -- especially good fathers. Sigh.
Like everything else, there's more good ones than bad ones.
My weird noises are my stomach growls. The Wife can hardly believe what she hears :lol:
See if this works.
Cayla wrote:
I purchased a kitchen island for my bedroom.
Nice. I think that means you can officially call it an apartment. :D
I wanted to prove to myself, that I can be a big girl and put this thing together myself.
You're a bigger girl than I am, because I wouldn't have even tried. :lol:
Kelly kept intervening to give me pep talks, and to tell me to let Aaron do it.
That's really not a good pep talk. :lol:
It took him 4 tries to get this section attached to the base. He said it was stupid. :lol:
Those assembly required things are always stupid. Half the time all the parts aren't even there. The computer desk that I'm sitting at now is the last thing that I assembled, because I got it for Christmas when I moved in here, which was 31 years ago. Never again, I said. :lol:
It looks great, and was just what I needed for more storage. It also has shelves on both sides. I'm going to pull my books out of the bins in my closet for the books. My microwave and coffee maker are on top of the island.
That sounds great. We want pictures.
I pulled the extension cord out, and found that he plugged a 3 prong cord, into a two prong extension cord.
Yikes. It's not like adapters are hard to come by.
Lupine wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:58 pm
Good morning, survivors and welcome to the last full day of Trump-Hell. :fire: :hello: :fire:
I can't wait to see if he tries to use the military. That would be full-on Third World. :lol:
I don't know her, though she probably is a relative as 90% of the Lewis's from that time and place were related in some fashion (both my grandmother and grandfather descend from them).
Maybe she can share whatever evidence she has of her claim.
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:45 pm
no hike...still raining,... :( covid test negative
Bad news about the hike, but great news about the test. :yes:
apparently the client is due home again tomorrow...(how long before we next call the ambulance??)
I hope everything is uneventful for her this time.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:40 pm
Maybe she can share whatever evidence she has of her claim.
I am thinking of contacting her at some point, but I want to get some of my own research in just in case she's just an Expert Troll.
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

The elusive detective work on the house continues. I spoke with a clerk at the Courthouse who said there is no pending action for my mom's Will. It has been filed and that's it. I spoke with an attorney I know in Oklahoma who said my thought process is correct in that a Probate action should have been filed on the Will for the clear chain of title to occur. So, it seems the title is clouded right now. Also, the brother who was the Executor of the Estate had no legal right for shutting any of us out from trying to purchase the house regardless of his not wanting to deal with it. We should have had every opportunity to discuss the possibility of acquiring the property from the mortgagor. My other brother is going to speak with the lawyer who drafted the Will (and conference me into the call) to review our options.

The next best thing that happened is a representative from FHA called me about the case. She said the file showed my call with gentleman from last week had been cut off. I still feel bad about that. She said she was escalating the case regarding a door to the domicile being ajar and that I should hear back from someone in the Atlanta property management office in a few days. She did say that I can keep rattling people's cages about the possibility of my purchasing the property; however, the typical path is it would have to go to auction. I made a comment along the lines of, "..and with my luck some slime bag flipper will pick it up." She said, "Nope. Flippers can't buy these homes, because they have to live in them for 12-months; otherwise, the list of penalties is very long." WHOA.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this could be a good thing.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Today was busy but fulfilling.
Cayla wrote:
I felt better knowing it wasn't just me being helpless and a failure. It took him 3 hours to get steps 8-16 done...2 hours just on step 8.
Ughh, this is exactly why I hate building or fixing anything. The instructions always make it seem easier than it really is.
Cayla wrote:
scottydog welcome back to reality. How exciting for you, to know this will be your last Spring semester!
Yes! :bounce: What will I do with myself? :D
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wow. Pretty exciting, huh? :D
Yes. It's hard to believe that I'll soon be able to do whatever the hell I want to do. I wonder if this will be a Twilight Zone episode where I discover that doing whatever I want is the worst thing that ever happened to me....
RJDiogenes wrote:
See if this works.
Holy crap, you have Oscillating Snore Syndrome :lol: :guffaw:
Gary wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:33 pm
Keeping my fingers crossed that this could be a good thing.
I'd say it's more likely to be a good thing than a total disaster :yes:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Howdy! :hello:

I missed Tuesday, but only because it's just a quarter after midnight.

Cayla, congrats on getting at least half the putting together done by yourself! I can't tell you the number of pieces of furniture I've put together over the years. But it's a nice feeling when you're done.

And Scotty, seeing you talk about spring semester always seems odd to me,especially when I was still in NH and would read that with a raging blizzard outside. And I would think, "Spring? :wtf: "

I had a relatively busy day today. Of course, compared to my normal day, anything would be relatively busy. :lol: Tomorrow is also shaping up to be relatively busy.

It seemed as if Dr J agreed with me about the political goings on. He certainly agreed with me when I complained about being surrounded by Republicans.

I forgot Monday was a holiday. When I got to the drug store, it looked like everyone and his brother were all there. I didn't stop. And the people who weren't at CVS were all out driving somewhere. I was lucky to get back home in one piece! So I ended up going early Tuesday morning. Egad!

Tomorrow starts out with a haircut and then coffee with Chris. :yes:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm...runs off to work
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Somehow short weeks are always longer....
Lupine wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 pm
I am thinking of contacting her at some point, but I want to get some of my own research in just in case she's just an Expert Troll.
A Troll on the Internet? Surely not!
Gary wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:33 pm
We should have had every opportunity to discuss the possibility of acquiring the property from the mortgagor.
This sounds promising.
She said, "Nope. Flippers can't buy these homes, because they have to live in them for 12-months; otherwise, the list of penalties is very long." WHOA.
Also promising. It sounds like this will work out.
scottydog wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:35 am
Yes. It's hard to believe that I'll soon be able to do whatever the hell I want to do. I wonder if this will be a Twilight Zone episode where I discover that doing whatever I want is the worst thing that ever happened to me....
Or you'll break your glasses or something. :lol:
Holy crap, you have Oscillating Snore Syndrome :lol: :guffaw:
I just wish I could make use of it more often. :sleep:
jgc wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:38 am
It seemed as if Dr J agreed with me about the political goings on. He certainly agreed with me when I complained about being surrounded by Republicans.
Being surrounded is not as bad as being overrun. :lol:
Tomorrow starts out with a haircut and then coffee with Chris. :yes:
Be careful. Haircuts are dangerous.
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:59 am
gm...runs off to work
Jumps out of the way....

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

2 r coffee break after 3 calls....then 2 calls at lunch - including the lady who went in with covid last week...... and 5 calls this evening.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Happy Wednesday, everyone :hello:

Today I'll teach my two classes and then be home by 1pm for lunch. This is my last light teaching load due to my heading up the IRB. I told them I'm done with the IRB as of May 15th. My last semester in the Fall will be a full teaching load but still not too bad.
jgc wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:38 am
And Scotty, seeing you talk about spring semester always seems odd to me,especially when I was still in NH and would read that with a raging blizzard outside. And I would think, "Spring? :wtf: "
I know, right? The seasonally named academic terms only made sense when I was at the University of California which used the "quarter" system. Fall quarter was Sept-Dec, Winter quarter was Jan-March, and Spring quarter was April-June. The 2-semester system most schools use, Fall & Spring, is seasonally challenged :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 am
Or you'll break your glasses or something. :lol:
Or a bus will hit me the day after I retire. I actually did know a guy who died a few months after he retired at 65.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Be careful. Haircuts are dangerous.
Have you ever considered going full Bruce Willis and shaving your head cleanly? It's actually a good look for most men. I'll probably go that route soon, mostly out of necessity :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 am
...then 2 calls at lunch - including the lady who went in with covid last week....
I assume she's tested negative? Be safe, Maddie.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

It is vaccination day! Never in my life have I been excited about receiving a vaccine as I am today! :lol:

I complied with everything the Ohio Dept. of The Board of Health told me to do, and now the Cruella is telling me I am not allowed back to work, unless all 3 of my housemates can provide them with a negative COVID test. This is not going to happen.

Yesterday, I completed photographing one out of four record books. All have been edited, uploaded, and grouped into folders by decade on my laptop. In the next few days, I will label each photo, and then upload them onto an external hard drive. The hard drive will be a back up. Once, I am finished with all of the records, I will upload the photos from each book onto four flash drives, for anyone to use to search the records.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

I assume she's tested negative? Be safe, Maddie.
i dont know her current status- but she had covid when she went in, last week.... and is now back home. i dont think its clear for a further week though - so our tests this friday may also show positive if we pick it up from her...
i am not concerned about myself though. Now we have the tests, i can better protect others, though i also take my temp daily before work - just in case. she is so happy to be home with her dog back and real food again....
5 done, 5 to go....
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :us:

Might pick up some firewood today as it's expected to cool over the next week.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 pm
A Troll on the Internet? Surely not!
Inconceivable!
Cayla wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:27 pm
It is vaccination day! Never in my life have I been excited about receiving a vaccine as I am today! :lol:
Woohoo!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

Well, today was a good day. Starting at about noontime. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 am
including the lady who went in with covid last week......
How is she? Did they send her home because she's okay or because they have no room for her?
scottydog wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:25 am
Or a bus will hit me the day after I retire. I actually did know a guy who died a few months after he retired at 65.
That would be just my luck. I should become a hermit when I retire. :lol:
Have you ever considered going full Bruce Willis and shaving your head cleanly? It's actually a good look for most men. I'll probably go that route soon, mostly out of necessity :lol:
Nah. The world needs more Hippies. :cooldude:
Cayla wrote:
How'd it go?
Yesterday, I completed photographing one out of four record books. All have been edited, uploaded, and grouped into folders by decade on my laptop. In the next few days, I will label each photo, and then upload them onto an external hard drive. The hard drive will be a back up. Once, I am finished with all of the records, I will upload the photos from each book onto four flash drives, for anyone to use to search the records.
That's great. I wonder if they'll be able to put them online once you're all finished.
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:32 pm
she is so happy to be home with her dog back and real food again....
Yes, it's always nicer to be at home, as long as she isn't too sick.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Good evening. :hello:

Got the haircut. No blood was spilled. Then Chris and I tried to schedule appointments for vaccinations. The site went live at 11:00am. All appointments were booked by 11:05am. 😒 No, we didn't get one.
Lupine wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:53 pm

Inconceivable!
:guffaw: :guffaw:

So that was my day.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Today was great! We have a new President who is nice and normal. We have a Vice-President who is Black and female. We have an amazing poet laureate, and WOW-YOWZER what a national anthem performed by the extraordinary Lady Gaga! :dance:

And my first day of classes went well. I really like my students. They participated in discussion and seemed very nice :yes:
Cayla wrote:
I saw on Facebook that you got vaccinated. How does your arm feel?
Lupine wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:53 pm
Might pick up some firewood today as it's expected to cool over the next week.
Might you get a dusting of snow?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:21 pm
I should become a hermit when I retire. :lol:
Do you have any grand plans for retirement? Or will your life be just like one of your long weekends? (and there's nothing wrong with that)