Check-in #32: Are You OK?

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Check-in #32: Are You OK?

Post by Lupine » Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Good Morning, all!

A new day and a new thread for your entertainment.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Re: Check-in #32: Are You OK?

Post by scottydog » Tue May 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Big inhale.... ahhhhh.... fresh thread meat.... mmmmm.... :drool:

Thanks, Lupy!

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Tue May 15, 2012 3:45 pm

well dad is clear of uti - but i really think there is something going on that is not right. He seems confused, anxious, agitated, cannot sleep, on edge, doing silly things, convincing himself he is right when it is impossible for what he says to be right, etc - I may try to persaude him to see the doc friday if he isnt better by then.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Tue May 15, 2012 3:53 pm

^Good idea. :no:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 pm

I hope he sees a doctor, Madeliaette. It doesn't sound good at all.

Thena
Censor
Censor

Post by Thena » Tue May 15, 2012 8:02 pm

^^I'll second that.

Well, guess what I did? I was checking the alumni association's site for information on a job fair next month when I saw that they have a free networking seminar tonight. Guess who just changed her plans to go downtown for seminar? But first, I need to change out of my sweats and find something decent to wear.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 pm

^Cool beans. But what exactly is a networking seminar? Does it focus on how to network using social and nonsocial media? Just curious.

Going out to dinner with a group of friends. No stepchildren in sight. Life is good. :)

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue May 15, 2012 10:28 pm

^^ Good luck. :thumbsup:

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Maddie, is there a nurse or something at the doctor's office who you can call to run the situation by them?

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Tue May 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Good evening.

Nice new thread to greet us this fine evening. :thumbsup:

Today is my son's 37th birthday. That shows you youngins just how old I really am! :lol:

Got lots done at work today. Our supervisor was at a meeting almost all day - well, different meetings. That means no interruptions getting in the way of getting our regular stuff done.

Hope to get another good night of sleep tonight. three more days of work, and then....vacation!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

Thena
Censor
Censor

Post by Thena » Wed May 16, 2012 1:29 am

scottydog wrote:But what exactly is a networking seminar? Does it focus on how to network using social and nonsocial media? Just curious.
The title of the session was "Building Your Professional Brand Using Social Media." The confirmation email I received this afternoon included:
If you are attending any of the web-panels in this series in person, at the downtown Chicago Illini Center, arrive at 6:30 for in-person networking! Be sure to have your elevator speech prepared and bring plenty of business cards and resumes.
When I got there at 6:15, I noticed that the conference room was locked. I took a walk outside, popped into a coffee shop, went online and double-checked that I had the right day, etc. I went back at 6:30 and it was still locked. So I found a security guard and asked if they moved to a different conference room. He wasn't aware of any events in the building, and neither was his supervisor. Then another guy showed up looking for the same seminar, and he had the confirmation email on his phone. We called the contact listed in the email and were told that it was an online presentation only. :wallbash:

So no networking with alumni (which was what I was primarily interested in) and, of course, by the time I got on the train and got home, the presentation would be over. The woman in the office said that she'd put the information online for us to access tomorrow, but I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope. At least I got the fee waived for being a university alum. They were charging $45 to attend the seminar.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Wed May 16, 2012 2:07 am

^Yikes! They really deceived you. I hope you get the materials and get something out of all this.

Tomorrow I leave for Myrtle Beach for a few days. Should be fun! Y'all be good while I'm gone. I'll try to check in when I can. :hello:

Thena
Censor
Censor

Post by Thena » Wed May 16, 2012 3:40 am

^^Sounds like fun! Have a good time.

What really irritated me was the attitude of the woman from the alumni association. She kept telling me, "The email wasn't supposed to say that!" Well, how was I supposed to know?

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Wed May 16, 2012 4:31 am

not looking forward to going down to give dad his cuppa today in 20 mins.... i hope he isnt as confused/agitated as the past 2-3 days, but.... There isnt anyone at th docs i can double check with - but i will put it out at the carers forum and see if anyone has had similar experiences/suiggestions there if he isnt any better today.
grocery delivery this am. his church social annual minibus outing in the pm....
while the title sounds like an online thing - the email notification definitely makes it sound like a place to go to Thena.
have fun SD!

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean » Wed May 16, 2012 5:57 am

Whew. After spending some time catching up on the past few pages of the last check in thread, I feel suitably up to date with everyone. Howdy. Sorry for my absence...but the last few weeks have just been a tad hectic. Between the end of the semester, exams, a pair of fantastic concerts (including one at my own school...it's funny. I joined BCAS to avoid ever performing on stage at BSC. ANd I ended up doing so anyway. :lol: ), and reacquainting with friends who have come home, I've just been going from one thing to another. The good news is that I'm done with Buff State forever, except for one more possible trip downtown there to to grab a copy of my final transcript. I'm ironing out the final things I need to do to get things in order with Fredonia...which is also good. Mainly arranging affairs with Disability Services.

At the moment I'm concerned that I won't get a single occupancy room in a residence hall. My doctor didn't provide anything explicitly stating that I need one...just that I need a room alone for exams. The director of DS at my BSC assures me that between the stuff she sent and anything my doc could send, I'll be fine (I also sing with her), but I'm still unsure. I tend to worry about these things.

I've also convinced a possible 4 people to audition for the choir in June, which is exciting. Having sung with all of them, I know they'll be just fine. And that they'll love it. :yes:

My director's cousin posted some videos of the last concert (at Buff State) to the choir's YouTube account..I'll post them in the Performing Arts forum. I'll have to have a talk with one of them about how to properly title videos...the current titles don't jive with the theme of the page as a whole, and don't lend a "professional" look to things. And that just bugs me. I'm a bit of a control freak like that... :shrug:

Have a good evening everyone! I'll have to get back into the swing of checking in!

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed May 16, 2012 8:25 am

^^ Good to see you. I'm glad you're finally done with Buff State and all set with Fredonia and, best of all, on your way to moving out of the house.

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

And that "good luck" up there was intended for Thena. Looks like scotty posted while I was typing. :lol:
jgc wrote:Today is my son's 37th birthday. That shows you youngins just how old I really am! :lol:
Happy Birthday to him and you're not old. :D Image
Thena wrote:So no networking with alumni (which was what I was primarily interested in) and, of course, by the time I got on the train and got home, the presentation would be over. The woman in the office said that she'd put the information online for us to access tomorrow, but I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope. At least I got the fee waived for being a university alum. They were charging $45 to attend the seminar.
That's a shame. I hope their presentation shows more competency than their organizational skills. :no:
scottydog wrote:Tomorrow I leave for Myrtle Beach for a few days. Should be fun! Y'all be good while I'm gone. I'll try to check in when I can. :hello:
Have a good time. :hello:
Madeliaette wrote:There isnt anyone at th docs i can double check with - but i will put it out at the carers forum and see if anyone has had similar experiences/suiggestions there if he isnt any better today.
That's a good idea. I'm surprised the doctor's office doesn't have a hotline or consulting nurse or someone like that to talk to. Maybe his insurance company offers something like that. We have a 24-hour nursing line for people to call for help.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Wed May 16, 2012 10:16 am

Good morning.

I did not want to get up this morning. Possibly the fact that it is still overcast and wet outside might have something to do with that. Or the fact that I don't go to bed early enough at night.

Gotta get back to my :coffee: .

Y'all have a good day.
Imagine by John Lennon

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Wed May 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Good morning!

I am looking forward to reading about Sean's new life at the new college this fall.

scottydog, have fun in Myrtle Beach!

Today, I have banking and grocery shopping to do. After, I plan to spend the afternoon working in the garden.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life. -Jean Luc Picard

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Wed May 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Glad to see you stop by Sean. :yes:

Have fun at the beach, Scotty!

As usual not much happening here. But I did get an email yesterday stating that a new tunic my aunt ordered for me for my birthday was shipped. If it fits it'll be part of a new Renaissance Faire outfit. I'm going to be trying for an English archer look.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Wed May 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Grocery shopping, banking, and 1/2 of the laundry is done. I also, stop at the nursery and pick up my pepper plants.

I have a wedding next weekend, and I was hoping to buy a new dress for it, but alas, I only dropped two dress sizes since I begain my weight loss in early March. This means I fit into the 3 dresses I already have in my closet. I am not going to buy another dress until I lose more weight. I highly doubt I can drop another size by next week.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life. -Jean Luc Picard

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Wed May 16, 2012 4:30 pm

grocery delivery DONE. dads trip out DONE. he stuffed a cream tea, then i wheeled him round the workshop exteriors, gift shop, woodland trail, up to the farm, and thru the greenhouses....before the minibus trip home. half the peeps hadnt found the animals - we didnt have a ticket but saw the goats. othrs hadnt found the woodland trail - we did and Dad had bumpy wheelie ride past the pond and trees and stuff.... he didnt speak much, but i guess he enjoyed it - and came back with some cookies and marmalade.

Thena
Censor
Censor

Post by Thena » Wed May 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Finally managed to access the presentation slides from last night's "seminar" but not the audio portion. Guess what? The first two slides were basically a sales pitch for a paid membership to the alumni association plus all the other paid services they offered. I don't think I'll be paying for their services anytime soon. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 pm

^^ Doesn't sound like they're going to much help to you.

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

We're more than halfway there....
Lupine wrote:As usual not much happening here. But I did get an email yesterday stating that a new tunic my aunt ordered for me for my birthday was shipped. If it fits it'll be part of a new Renaissance Faire outfit. I'm going to be trying for an English archer look.
That sounds cool. All you need now is some merry men. :D
Madeliaette wrote:he stuffed a cream tea, then i wheeled him round the workshop exteriors, gift shop, woodland trail, up to the farm, and thru the greenhouses....before the minibus trip home. half the peeps hadnt found the animals - we didnt have a ticket but saw the goats. othrs hadnt found the woodland trail - we did and Dad had bumpy wheelie ride past the pond and trees and stuff.... he didnt speak much, but i guess he enjoyed it - and came back with some cookies and marmalade.
That sounds like a good day. I'm sure he enjoyed it.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Wed May 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Finally! Jen216 and I found time in our busy schedules to hike the zoo. It's been 6 weeks, since we last went. I found I am in much better shape than I was then....I made it up the huge hill without being winded. :lol: Unfortunately, I feel I am losing my walking friend soon...she is 14 weeks pregnant, and was having a hard time tackling the huge hill, and the distance we went today.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu May 17, 2012 12:10 am

Good evening.

Another day closer to my vacation.

Sean, it sounds like you're making great strides forward in your life. I'm looking forward to your posts after you move to the dorm!

Dad had his first cataract surgery today and is doing great! My sister took him. They were back to Dad's house by 8:45 a.m. My turn in next week for eye number 2.

Other than that, not much is going on besides work.

Hope scotty is have a great time at Myrtle Beach. You doing any golfing, scotty!

You all have a nice evening! :thumbsup:
Imagine by John Lennon

Thena
Censor
Censor

Post by Thena » Thu May 17, 2012 1:32 am

Got my hair cut today, but I'm not sure I'm all that happy with how it turned out. I ended up leaving the salon and heading straight to Target to get a hat. On the plus side, I found some really cute hats on sale.
Sean wrote:At the moment I'm concerned that I won't get a single occupancy room in a residence hall. My doctor didn't provide anything explicitly stating that I need one...just that I need a room alone for exams. The director of DS at my BSC assures me that between the stuff she sent and anything my doc could send, I'll be fine (I also sing with her), but I'm still unsure. I tend to worry about these things.
Hopefully it works out. I had roommates without too much of a problem, but one of my friends requested a single and got a roommate. However, three weeks into freshman year, it was clear that things were not going to work out with her roommate. The residence hall was able to find her a single room in the same building. Another of my friends was unhappy with the residence she got since she was pretty quiet and studious but ended up in the party dorm. She was able to get a room in the girls-only dorm that also had retired nuns living on the top floor. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:^^ Doesn't sound like they're going to much help to you.
I've been making jokes all day about how that's what you get for a state school and why I went in a different direction for grad school. Fortunately, the career services department from my graduate school seems a little more on the ball.