Check In # 43 - Does it Really need a Name?

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

jgc
Senator
Senator

Check In # 43 - Does it Really need a Name?

Post by jgc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:41 pm

Though I start the new check in thread as the other one was over 500 posts. Feel free to come in and redecorate any way you want. Paint the walls, put up a new air freshener ... you know, stuff like that.

So, RJ, what is the cure for the plain donut? I'm curious. :unsure:

Spend over 6 hours doing school work today. That's what I get for having two "Who gives a shit" days this week. It has to be finished by midnight tomorrow, so I've got time. I've only less than one chapter to read, one easy assignment, a couple of blog replies and a test. Then it starts all over again Monday.

Well, I'm done for today. I'll just while away the evening watching vampire stuff on Sciffy. A sequel to 30 Days of Night and then Blade II are on. Not great, not entirely awful.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Re: Check In # 43 - Does it Really need a Name?

Post by Lord_Plecostomus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:46 pm

I had too much to eat for dinner... So I'm just going to sit here in the corner and quietly :as: until I feel better.
Witty comment goes here.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:39 am

gm, still :yawn:
new check in for a new month, eh....
hoping Lupes Pa/chooks are all going well.... and RJ's donut artistry did not have aftereffects....and my dad's low fluid day likewise. he should be off to his monthly church meal today, if all goes well....

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:35 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

The low-battery alert on my other smoke alarm started going off in the middle of the night and I dreamed it was a bat that had gotten in. I've been awake since about 2:30. :sleep:
jgc wrote:So, RJ, what is the cure for the plain donut? I'm curious. :unsure:
Well, my Mother always buys these boxes of donuts that she likes at the supermarket. They come with four cinnamon, four powdered and four plain. She likes the powdered and cinnamon, but always complains that the plain ones are boring. Yesterday she told me that she bought a jar of Nutella for the first time because she got a coupon. So, voila. I said she should use the Nutella to make chocolate donuts. It worked out pretty well. :D

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 am

i was right... dad in confused today. tucked his recliner remote into his collar to hide it when he went out....he goes out in the wheelchair, NOT the recliner, but.... oh and he was garbling on and on about making promises to mother about taking care of me....til i called him out on dates and he realized he was talking about his own mother and taking care of his now-dead sister! hopefully they will drown him in apple juice at lunch!

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Good morning! Whatever has been troubling me the last few days seems to have lifted. Better days ahead! :)
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Good morning!

Yesterday wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My dear mother spent the entire day here, so I wouldn't have to deal with my crazy FIL arrogance. We sold a ton of stuff at the yard sale, had dinner with all of my friends, and my husband won the cash first prize in the evening dessert contest with his chocolate butter cake.

The Old Man is not doing well. His arm is still infected. The doctors say it won't ever go away, and it is MRSA...probably going to kill him. They are talking about amputating it. :(
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life. -Jean Luc Picard

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:41 pm

^ Ewww. The poor guy. I knew someone who had that and he was on antibiotics (strong ones) for quite sometime. I think they even set him up with an IV at home. We lost touch and he passed away a few years ago from complications of diabetes.

Maddy, all I can say is hang in there. The dementia will not be getting any better. :hug:

Good going to Cayla's Husband. :thumbsup:

Morning. :coffee: :coffee:

Today I'm going to throw together a salad for lunch.

But it's time for my second :coffee: , so that comes first.

Hope you all have a good day.
Imagine by John Lennon

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Oh Cayla - that is not such good news - well most of it is, but not about the arm! :( Hopefully he comes thru the amputation safely and survives....
dad went sulky sand came back stuffed and contented - as always. as his 90th is coming up in a few weeks, they had a special cake for him and he bought a huge chunk home to share - i shant eat it as its made from 'unpleasant' ingredients, so will give my share to my son who will shovel down anything free! :lol: Dad promptly dozed right on off as soon as i persuaded him to change to the recliner....
CRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, sorry jgc, did not mean to bump into you! :D
Agreed - tho we finally got a letter confirming he is going on double strength dementia meds... which may re-control it - again temporarily... but i guess at least he sleeps more, even if when awake he is more difficult

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:22 pm

^^ When does the increased dosage begin?
emma glitch wrote:Good morning! Whatever has been troubling me the last few days seems to have lifted. Better days ahead! :)
That's good to hear. :yes:
Cayla wrote:Yesterday wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My dear mother spent the entire day here, so I wouldn't have to deal with my crazy FIL arrogance. We sold a ton of stuff at the yard sale, had dinner with all of my friends, and my husband won the cash first prize in the evening dessert contest with his chocolate butter cake.
That's great! :yum:
The Old Man is not doing well. His arm is still infected. The doctors say it won't ever go away, and it is MRSA...probably going to kill him. They are talking about amputating it. :(
Oh, the poor guy. :( I hope they can help him and maintain the quality of his life. I hate watching people spend the last few weeks or months of their lives in misery. :(

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:35 pm

basically, whenever the regular dr gets the letter they sent him, puts in for the new tablets, and the chemist delivers them.... however, we have 2 boxes half dose pills left, so i shall start tomorrow by giving him 2 x 5mg instead of 1 x 10mg, til the newbies arrive. my math cannot be so bad that half a dose to be doubled cannot be doubled to give the same ammount!!!! :lol:

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Lord_Plecostomus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Madeliaette wrote:
basically, whenever the regular dr gets the letter they sent him, puts in for the new tablets, and the chemist delivers them.... however, we have 2 boxes half dose pills left, so i shall start tomorrow by giving him 2 x 5mg instead of 1 x 10mg, til the newbies arrive. my math cannot be so bad that half a dose to be doubled cannot be doubled to give the same ammount!!!! :lol:

Ok but don't come crying to us when he develops super-powers . :labexplosion: :peekaboo:
Witty comment goes here.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:42 pm

:yawn: :coffee: :coffee2:

Visited dad in the hospital again yesterday. They have him in the Heart Center now and seem to be running a battery of tests. He seems to be doing fairly well though. The congestive heart failure has been scaled back to just heart failure, though honestly I don't know what the difference is- if there is one. But at least we got to speak with a doctor. But I think dad got the message that he really has to stay until they say otherwise.
Madeliaette wrote:i was right... dad in confused today. tucked his recliner remote into his collar to hide it when he went out....he goes out in the wheelchair, NOT the recliner, but.... oh and he was garbling on and on about making promises to mother about taking care of me....til i called him out on dates and he realized he was talking about his own mother and taking care of his now-dead sister! hopefully they will drown him in apple juice at lunch!
Cayla wrote:The Old Man is not doing well. His arm is still infected. The doctors say it won't ever go away, and it is MRSA...probably going to kill him. They are talking about amputating it. :(
Definitely not a good week for older family members. :no:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:17 pm

my son was out 11 hours - strolls in and states he walked along the Thames from London to Kingston.... :eek:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:29 pm

^^ Well, it's good exercise and a nice view. :D
Lupine wrote:The congestive heart failure has been scaled back to just heart failure, though honestly I don't know what the difference is- if there is one.
I don't know the difference, either, but I like the "scaled back" part.
Madeliaette wrote:basically, whenever the regular dr gets the letter they sent him, puts in for the new tablets, and the chemist delivers them.... however, we have 2 boxes half dose pills left, so i shall start tomorrow by giving him 2 x 5mg instead of 1 x 10mg, til the newbies arrive. my math cannot be so bad that half a dose to be doubled cannot be doubled to give the same ammount!!!! :lol:
Makes sense to me, as long as doubling it doesn't mean you run out before the new stuff arrives.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:46 pm

I have another 'repeat script' for the old ones, if it does take more than 4 weeks..... :)

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:04 pm

^^ That's good. But if it works the way it does here, the refill date is based on 75% of the supply specified in the prescription. So if the prescription is for 30 days, you're allowed to fill it again in about 23 days. So if the medicine is used up in 15 days, there would still be an eight-day wait. But the doctor's office should be able to arrange an override with the pharmacy if that happens.

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Got caught up on a few things today and I have all of tomorrow to catch up on more things. :D

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Speaking of catch up, I have got to get myself out of this chair and over to the one without the lure of the Internet so I can get back to sorting and filing papers. Later! :D :hello:
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Howdy.

RJ, wouldn't it be different if they're replacing an old script with a new one?

We just hod one of those pop up rain showers due to the humid weather. Of course, I went out in it. :stormy: :rainstorm:

Hope everyone has a nice evening!
Imagine by John Lennon

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Hello, everyone. :hello:

Just got back from the mountains. We had a nice time hiking, antiquing, sight-seeing, and relaxing.

And I also found out that my sister, who has stomach cancer, just had her stomach successfully removed. I didn't even realize that a person could survive without a stomach, but I guess you can as long as you eat 6-8 very small, mushy meals per day.
Lupine wrote: Visited dad in the hospital again yesterday. They have him in the Heart Center now and seem to be running a battery of tests. He seems to be doing fairly well though. The congestive heart failure has been scaled back to just heart failure, though honestly I don't know what the difference is- if there is one.
Lupy, I'm sorry to hear the news about your dad. Is there anything than can be done in terms of medications or treatment?

Cayla, I'm sorry to hear about The Old Man. That's gotta be so tough for him, and for the whole family.

My elderly mother with Alzheimer's FINALLY had her drivers license taken away. I was dreading that she would kill someone before this would happen, but it turns out that the deciding incident was her getting lost near home. She got confused, abandoned her car, and started walking down the busy highway. A friend driving by saw her and gave her a ride home.

On a happy note, I just finished a large Hershey bar.

Hope y'all are hanging in there. :)

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:59 pm

jgc wrote:RJ, wouldn't it be different if they're replacing an old script with a new one?
I'm not sure about the UK, but here the old refill date would still apply. This is actually one of the things I do in my job-- give people overrides when the system won't let them fill their prescriptions because of changes like that (and other reasons). Sometimes even if you get a prescription for a different medication, you won't be able to fill it if it's in the same category. Especially if it's a controlled substance.
scottydog wrote:Just got back from the mountains. We had a nice time hiking, antiquing, sight-seeing, and relaxing.
Welcome back.
And I also found out that my sister, who has stomach cancer, just had her stomach successfully removed. I didn't even realize that a person could survive without a stomach, but I guess you can as long as you eat 6-8 very small, mushy meals per day.
Yeah, I imagine that would work, since you do most of your digesting in the intestines. How is she doing? What's her prognosis? Is there going to be a transplant of some kind, or is this her new status quo?
My elderly mother with Alzheimer's FINALLY had her drivers license taken away. I was dreading that she would kill someone before this would happen, but it turns out that the deciding incident was her getting lost near home. She got confused, abandoned her car, and started walking down the busy highway. A friend driving by saw her and gave her a ride home.
I remember you telling us about that. It must be a load off your mind knowing that she won't be driving. How is her emotional state these days?

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:55 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:And I also found out that my sister, who has stomach cancer, just had her stomach successfully removed. I didn't even realize that a person could survive without a stomach, but I guess you can as long as you eat 6-8 very small, mushy meals per day.
Yeah, I imagine that would work, since you do most of your digesting in the intestines. How is she doing? What's her prognosis? Is there going to be a transplant of some kind, or is this her new status quo?
No transplant, just a permanent dietary change. The long-term prognosis isn't very encouraging. She has about a 50:50 chance of surviving the next 3 to 5 years. The tough thing for me is that my sister is just about the sweetest person you'd ever want to meet. She has a heart of gold. Every year she mails The Evil Ones a nice Christmas gift, even though she knows they are evil. She's just so loving.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I remember you telling us about that. It must be a load off your mind knowing that she won't be driving. How is her emotional state these days?
She's still emotionally in good spirits. That's such a blessing. Many Alzheimer's patients turn nasty and bitter, but not my sweet mother. At least not yet.

jgc, it sounds like you had a nice birthday. Good! You deserve it. :)

RJ, how have you spent your free time on this Labor Day weekend?

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:39 am

gm
well HERE you get a repeat script with a date stamped n it when the next lot are due, but if you get the same meds in a diff dose they ignore the old scriptand any old meds altogether. so the old script would work til the next script is transferred from doctor to chemist - which would be 1-2 days before delivery. as dad has enough for 28 days of double dose already (he had an extra pack given him when he got out of hospital and he only just finished that, the old script is renewed much soner than needs be as he had extra... so he still has 28 days of double dose and only about 2 weeks before new meds can be ordered even if they screw things up...
anyways today i am off to town, hopefully

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:29 am

** Well, that's good. It sounds like it will be fine.

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Ah, I love Mondays. This week, anyway. :D
scottydog wrote:No transplant, just a permanent dietary change. The long-term prognosis isn't very encouraging. She has about a 50:50 chance of surviving the next 3 to 5 years. The tough thing for me is that my sister is just about the sweetest person you'd ever want to meet. She has a heart of gold. Every year she mails The Evil Ones a nice Christmas gift, even though she knows they are evil. She's just so loving.
There ain't no justice. I wish her the very best luck. I wish there was something I could do. :(
RJDiogenes wrote:She's still emotionally in good spirits. That's such a blessing. Many Alzheimer's patients turn nasty and bitter, but not my sweet mother. At least not yet.
As long as she's happy and in no discomfort, that counts for a lot.
RJ, how have you spent your free time on this Labor Day weekend?
Puttering around with some writing and cartoons and stuff. Watching TV (there was an Alfred Hitchcock Marathon on TCM yesterday). Walks and naps. Surfing the Internet and adding to my collection of Pulp cover scans. Stuff like that.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:22 am

well i got to town - only to find they dont do western union transfers anymore. (I had promised to make a payment today) i got most of the stuff i needed, but did not buy much- next week i will stock up for dad's 50th. i sent out a couple more invites this morning en route...
i can 'imagine' the changes in diet needed for someone with no stomach.... doubt i would enjoy them much!
still waiting on the dentist to get back to me.....re dad's appt.