Science Tidbits #6

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Science Tidbits #6

Post by RJDiogenes »

Not to mention Forrest Gump. It's amazing how seamlessly and easily they can do it. Also nice that they're using it to remind or inform the audience of a classic performer.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:37 pm
^Re-watch DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations".
Yes, that's true, and that's the 1990s, too :eek:
Here's the conjunction from the Hubble telescope
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Not really, but pretty anyway.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:42 pm
^Not really, but pretty anyway.
Is it an artist's rendition?

Are these legit?
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Some are, some aren't. The one by the pyramid and sphinx is fake (Jupiter and Saturn are too close and oriented the wrong way).
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Now we need Fact Checkers for Hubble. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

^ Definitely some Hubble Trouble :lol:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Really more of an educated guess than a real study however. You see things like this from time to time to try and explain why we're not being visited every other Tuesday. It may be right, but we really won't know until we can study exo-planets in more detail.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's hard to take an article seriously that has at least two grammatical errors just in their bullet points. :lol:

I think the primary solution to the Fermi Paradox is just rarity and distance. Only a small amount of life-bearing worlds will give rise to a technological civilization and interstellar travel is going to be a very difficult and expensive undertaking. But there is also validity to the idea of time scales. It would be the ultimate coincidence if the nearest civilizations were anywhere close to our level of development-- more likely they existed a long time ago or they are still pending. And even if the closest civilization is approximately at our level of development, they're probably ten thousand light years away, so we're seeing each other as we were ten thousand years ago.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Some data on what Luhman 16B might look like.
Of particular interest to me since the book (I should really start working on more diligently) will probably have scenes that take place in the Luhman system.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's some pretty fancy research. So the Brown Dwarfs are basically Gas Giants on steroids. They'll still look pretty weird, though-- no nearby star to illuminate them, they just glow from within like a Halloween pumpkin.

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

Brown dwarves are now hypothesized to be more common than all other stellar types put together, and they can be much less warm than a jack o'lantern -- even room temperature, give or take 100 degrees. Despite a toasty surface temperature of over 900 C, and being one of our closest neighbors (after the Alpha Centauri complex and Barnard's star), Luhman AB was only discovered in the last decade -- and it seems to have a planet.

I've long speculated that they would make excellent refueling stations, potentially cutting the difficulty of interstellar travel by a factor of ten. A cool brown dwarf roughly in the direction of Alpha Centauri would be much harder to spot, but would provide a much nearer destination (by Tsiolkovsky standards and transit life support time). It would be a reasonable site for initial colonization (as a orbiting colony and refueling station) letting us later reach Alpha Centauri as we cross a river by hop-scotching over fortuitously situated rocks -- or use mid-stream rocks/isles as footings for a bridge.

The ones that glow like orange Halloween pumpkins are Oompa Loompas, which are sometimes mistaken for brown dwarves.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Orpheus wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:53 am
Brown dwarves are now hypothesized to be more common than all other stellar types put together,
Backyard Worlds was initially intended to locate Planet 9- but most of their finds have been brown dwarves.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good to see you, Orph.
Orpheus wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:53 am
Brown dwarves are now hypothesized to be more common than all other stellar types put together, and they can be much less warm than a jack o'lantern -- even room temperature, give or take 100 degrees.
Asimov once wrote a book or article where he wrote about what he called The Law of the Numerous Small, or something like that. Basically, the smaller a class of object is, the more of them there are. Makes sense.
I've long speculated that they would make excellent refueling stations, potentially cutting the difficulty of interstellar travel by a factor of ten. A cool brown dwarf roughly in the direction of Alpha Centauri would be much harder to spot, but would provide a much nearer destination (by Tsiolkovsky standards and transit life support time). It would be a reasonable site for initial colonization (as a orbiting colony and refueling station) letting us later reach Alpha Centauri as we cross a river by hop-scotching over fortuitously situated rocks -- or use mid-stream rocks/isles as footings for a bridge.
That's an idea with a lot of potential, especially in an SF scenario.
The ones that glow like orange Halloween pumpkins are Oompa Loompas, which are sometimes mistaken for brown dwarves.
"Captain, sensors are detecting a class Oompa-Loompa substellar object."
Lupine wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:31 pm
Backyard Worlds was initially intended to locate Planet 9- but most of their finds have been brown dwarves.
That's pretty sweet.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

An interesting tidbit suggesting that Dire Wolves weren't wolves. :wolf:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

As long as they're still dire, that's the important thing. :lol:

It's amazing, though, the little surprises that genetic analysis brings. Morphology can be deceiving. But I'm wondering why they can't be canus anymore, if they belong to a dog lineage.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I think it might be because there is no current evidence of inter-breeding with the wolf population. Dogs, wolves, and coyotes can interbreed (mostly), but no evidence of dire wolf DNA has been found indicating that cross-breeding may not have been possible.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Hmm. Maybe not all dogs are canus.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Might be analogous to apes as humans and chimps can't interbreed despite being so similar that some scientists refer to humans as the "third chimp".
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Some could be considered "The Fourth Chimp."