Unusual Two-Headed Snake

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Unusual Two-Headed Snake

Post by Gary » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Click the link to see the embedded video of the snake.

Kids keep 2-headed snake as pet
It sounds like something out of science fiction, but for a family in Greenwood County, South Carolina, this two-headed snake is real, and really fascinating.

The most bizarre thing about this creature: The heads aren't side by side. The snake has one head on each end of its slender, slithery body, and both heads seem able to control it. Two heads. Two tongues. Four eyes. That'll keep you up at night.

Workers found the smallish snake with the freakish look near the home of Savanna Logan and her brother Preston, and handed it over to them. The two have been showing it to their classmates, according to Fox 8 News.

Two-headed snakes are not unheard of. According to National Geographic, the heads are formed similarly to the way Siamese twins develop. Typically, two-headed snakes have side-by-side heads, not like the snake cared for by these kids.

The high school biology department at Ware Shoals High School identified the creature as a rough earth snake. Luckily, even with two heads, this kind of snake, which grows to about 10 inches at most, is considered relatively harmless, feasting on slugs and snails.

The kids told Fox 8 they each had a name they wanted for the snake. Preston thought Billy Bob. Savanna wants to call it Oreo.

With two heads, two names may be in order.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Unusual Two-Headed Snake

Post by Lupine » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Like some of the comments on the page I'm wondering where the animal's vent is at. How, biologically, is this working?

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Re: Unusual Two-Headed Snake

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:50 pm

That was my question as well. My first thought was rather disgusting. :lol: After looking at a snake anatomy chart, I'm guessing it's about a quarter of the way down away from the secondary head.

My other question would be if it can reproduce, and if the two-headed trait could be passed on.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape: