The Mars Thread

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: The Mars Thread

Post by Lupine »

^That's an interesting analogy. Carl Sagan briefly covered the topic in his Cosmos TV series with his position being that terraforming would be all right as long as nothing lived on Mars. But he insisted that we shouldn't if there was so much as a microbe on the planet. But the thought of keeping Mars as it is for the sake of preservation is a provocative idea.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yes, terraforming will inspire some serious debates when we have the technology to do it. It actually already has, but it's just academic at this point. As it is, we go to great lengths to ensure that no Earth microbes hitch a ride to Mars (not to mention the moons of Jupiter and Saturn). The thing is, it may be a very long time before we're sure about life on Mars, because it will be buried very deeply under the surface-- maybe miles. Personally, I'm very much in favor of settling Mars and maybe terraforming-- but the thing is, in addition to the preservation angle, terraforming could be dangerous. Suppose there are a few hardy bacteria deep down under the surface, struggling to survive in the heart of a dying world. Then suppose we fix that world so that it's not dying anymore. In fact, it's pretty balmy and benign. What happens to that bacteria then? And what happens to the colonists from Earth who encounter that bacteria?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Good story materiel there. Like The Andromeda Strain in reverse.
RJDiogenes wrote:As it is, we go to great lengths to ensure that no Earth microbes hitch a ride to Mars (not to mention the moons of Jupiter and Saturn).
And according to an article I read in Popular Science a few years back we've already failed. There are several microbes that are virtually impossible to kill and probably are already on Mars.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:...But the thought of keeping Mars as it is for the sake of preservation is a provocative idea.
I would do sort of what we do here, namely, designate some particularly beautiful terrain as Martian Parkland that remains untouched. Then develop the ugly areas. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:Suppose there are a few hardy bacteria deep down under the surface, struggling to survive in the heart of a dying world. Then suppose we fix that world so that it's not dying anymore. In fact, it's pretty balmy and benign. What happens to that bacteria then? And what happens to the colonists from Earth who encounter that bacteria?
I really like this story idea. And it could come true with gruesome consequences for colonists. I think that's why I'd never volunteer to be the first generation of settlers on faraway worlds.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:I think that's why I'd never volunteer to be the first generation of settlers on faraway worlds.
I would, just because it's there.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
scottydog wrote:I think that's why I'd never volunteer to be the first generation of settlers on faraway worlds.
I would, just because it's there.
Put me in the 2nd generation who don't get tragically eaten by undetected alien parasitic crab monsters. :eek:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

My story will be about a guy who waits until the second wave of Martian colonization just to be sure that it's safe, only to find that it took a generation for the parasitic crab monsters to make it up to the surface. :D
Lupine wrote:^Good story materiel there. Like The Andromeda Strain in reverse.
Thanks. :yes:
And according to an article I read in Popular Science a few years back we've already failed. There are several microbes that are virtually impossible to kill and probably are already on Mars.
So the terraforming has already begun. We should just say the heck with it and send some lichen. :lol:
scottydog wrote:I would do sort of what we do here, namely, designate some particularly beautiful terrain as Martian Parkland that remains untouched. Then develop the ugly areas. :lol:
I suspect that this is exactly what will happen.

It makes me wonder about the psychology of the aliens at Tabby's Star, if that Dyson Sphere turns out to be real. They would not be a race of sentimental conservationists, that's for sure.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:My story will be about a guy who waits until the second wave of Martian colonization just to be sure that it's safe, only to find that it took a generation for the parasitic crab monsters to make it up to the surface. :D
I think that would be a brilliant, albeit painful, lesson for me to learn about the folly of "playing it safe". :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote: It makes me wonder about the psychology of the aliens at Tabby's Star, if that Dyson Sphere turns out to be real. They would not be a race of sentimental conservationists, that's for sure.
You'll have to explain what you mean here. I sort of know what a Dyson Sphere is. Are you saying that the people who assembled it have ruined their solar system?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yes, for two reasons. First, in order to construct something the size of a Dyson Sphere or Dyson Swarm or a Ringworld or anything similar, you would need to dismantle the planets in your system for building materials. Second, the object would be so huge that it could not miss being hit by any objects remaining in orbit around the sun at some point-- even KBOs or Oort-Cloud objects would eventually fall in-- so you'd have to sweep the system clean of anything left over. Everything would be gone.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

:D

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, the god of war has claimed yet another victim. Tough planet. :no:

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

He likes to stay mysterious :)
On the one hand it's a pity it didn't work, on the other hand it's perhaps a blessing. Mankind has almost ruined one planet already; I'd prefer if we'd not ruin yet another one. Just imagine the wars there'd be about the new territory. And the instant they find rare minerals and ores there'll be a rush to exploit the planet and leave the dead carcass.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

The problem with Mars is that it's already a bit of a dead carcass. As for territory or resources I doubt there'd be any real wars over it in the near future as it would be really impractical.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

There's probably no way that anyone on Earth can take advantage of any physical resources on Mars to any great extent, but I suppose it's possible for warring factions to develop on Mars at some point in the future. But all we can do is take whatever steps we can to prevent that and hope for the best. If we're paralyzed by fear of what bad things will happen, then no good things will ever happen.