What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post your original works of fiction here.
RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Re: What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 pm

I want to see you on YouTube. :D
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:35 pm

emma glitch wrote:Huggle, I'm working on my repertoire, gonna compete next year in a contest have been meaning to for years, but never found an accompanist, so will learn to play guitar and accompany myself. Have two songs nneed a third. I will be singing Air Force Blue and a french rock and roller chansons de blue, so I'm thinking a German folk or any kind of popular song with lots of blue in it, can you help me out?
Sorry about the delayed reply - busy week at work :as:
We have folk songs galore. What exactly were you thinking of? Something romantic, a marching song, someting religious, humourous, a children's song, one that gets longer all the time (like the 12 days of Christmas or This Old Man)? Or a classical Bavarian one? (At my home region we have a specialty we call Zwiefacher [double one]. It keeps changing between 3/4 and 2/4 beat - unusual to foreign ears yet it somehow goes into your feet :D [youtube][/youtube]
(the text translates as: our old [maidservant] Katherine wants one [man], too. Just wait a bit, she'll get one yet.)

By "lots of blue in it" do you mean blues-like (in minor key) or literally with something blue in the text or title?

============

currently reading (or hearing, rather - I usually ave audiobooks nowadays) : The Empire Striketh Back - Star Wars in Shakespearean style. What sounds incompatible at first goes together surprisingly well. The excellent actors prevent it from slipping into the ridiculous or overly pompous and make that one a real pleasure to listen to :)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:15 pm

huggle wrote:
emma glitch wrote:Huggle, I'm working on my repertoire, gonna compete next year in a contest have been meaning to for years, but never found an accompanist, so will learn to play guitar and accompany myself. Have two songs nneed a third. I will be singing Air Force Blue and a french rock and roller chansons de blue, so I'm thinking a German folk or any kind of popular song with lots of blue in it, can you help me out?
Sorry about the delayed reply - busy week at work :as:
No problem. and I could have been more specific. :)
We have folk songs galore. What exactly were you thinking of? Something romantic, a marching song, someting religious, humourous, a children's song, one that gets longer all the time (like the 12 days of Christmas or This Old Man)? Or a classical Bavarian one?
Al; good, I'd l ike a good song with the word blue prominent in it.
(At my home region we have a specialty we call Zwiefacher [double one]. It keeps changing between 3/4 and 2/4 beat - unusual to foreign ears yet it somehow goes into your feet :D [youtube]http://www.youtube.com
I seem to remember zwiefacher from dancing. :dance:
/watch?v=2SM8WL9Q_BE[/youtube]
(the text translates as: our old [maidservant] Katherine wants one [man], too. Just wait a bit, she'll get one yet.)

By "lots of blue in it" do you mean blues-like (in minor key) or literally with something blue in the text or title? blue in text and title good.

============

currently reading (or hearing, rather - I usually ave audiobooks nowadays) : The Empire Striketh Back - Star Wars in Shakespearean style. What sounds incompatible at first goes together surprisingly well. The excellent actors prevent it from slipping into the ridiculous or overly pompous and make that one a real pleasure to listen to :)
Wow that sounds good, I'll have to see if I can get it from audible,com
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:11 pm

I have the whole trilogy from Audible and converted them to ordinary mp3 because my mp3 player can not read the special audible format. If you like, I can copy them for you to CD and snail mail them. This way you can get them for free and in a format that every player or computer can read :)
Or perhaps I can find a way to put them online for you to comfortably download them.

I'll go through my old sheet music and see if I can find something blue. :)

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 pm

would you like this one? Basically the old-fashioned version of "Wake up, little Suzie" ;) It's called "wach auf mein' Herzens Schöne" (wake up my heart's pretty one). The only blue thing in there is the sky, though.
[youtube][/youtube]

Or how about this one? It's very old (16th century) and celebrates spring. It's called "Nun will der Lenz uns grüßen" )Now spring is greeting us". Here, the blue thing is the flowers
[youtube][/youtube]
If you don't like either, I have a few more in reserve, mainly about blue flowers. The prob is that in German blue has only one second meaning: being drunk. Otherwise, it's simply a colour - no feelings or images attached to it. Hence we have no songs based only on blue things. Blue always just figures as a decoration (and we have very few words that rhyme with it, which might add to the problem)
Don't worry about getting the text right - I shall record it for you in speech so that you get the exact pronounciation.

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:34 am

huggle wrote:would you like this one? Basically the old-fashioned version of "Wake up, little Suzie" ;) It's called "wach auf mein' Herzens Schöne" (wake up my heart's pretty one). The only blue thing in there is the sky, though.
[youtube][/youtube]

Or how about this one? It's very old (16th century) and celebrates spring. It's called "Nun will der Lenz uns grüßen" )Now spring is greeting us". Here, the blue thing is the flowers
[youtube][/youtube]
If you don't like either, I have a few more in reserve, mainly about blue flowers. The prob is that in German blue has only one second meaning: being drunk. Otherwise, it's simply a colour - no feelings or images attached to it. Hence we have no songs based only on blue things. Blue always just figures as a decoration (and we have very few words that rhyme with it, which might add to the problem)
Don't worry about getting the text right - I shall record it for you in speech so that you get the exact pronounciation.
WEll I like them, but I'm thinking blue and drunk might be a better choice :D :veryhappy:

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Sorry - I've seareched the internet up and down but we really seem to have only song in which the connection blue/drunk is even mentioned and that one is very vulgar (and that's putting it mildly).
On the other hand, we do have a lot of traditional drinking songs, particularly many in praise of wine. But that wouldn't fit in with your blue scheme.

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:35 pm

huggle wrote:Sorry - I've seareched the internet up and down but we really seem to have only song in which the connection blue/drunk is even mentioned and that one is very vulgar (and that's putting it mildly).
On the other hand, we do have a lot of traditional drinking songs, particularly many in praise of wine. But that wouldn't fit in with your blue scheme.
Vulgar might be okay if the audience goesn't underdtand. :D But they will all be military so it would be okay anyway.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm

^^ :veryhappy:

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:58 pm

LOL good point.
Here is the text: https://www.festgestaltung.de/allgemein ... orgen_blau
It is the original from the early 40s and differs widely from the vulgar text I had found with a "modern" recording.
Here's a recording from the early 50s:
[youtube][/youtube]
There is some nautical vocabulary in the song. As far as I now it's from a movie. The hero was propably a sailor.

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks. We used to sing Bier here in German class in high school. :D :veryhappy:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm reminded of a song we learned in German class. Something like:

"Ein prosit, ein prosit
De gemerre lich keit...."

And there my memory fails as much as my spelling. :lol:

Speaking of books, I just got the third volume of Seabury Quinn's Jules de Grandin stories in the mail. Of course, I haven't even finished the first one. :lol:

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit :) It's a classic in every beer tent. :toast:

I'm currently "reading" Mythos by Stephen Fry (I got the audiobook, read by the author). He retells almost all Greek myths in a very British and highly amusing style. The audiobook is particularly entertaining as once again he proves to be an excellent actor and does all the dialogues in a way that imo should earn him an Oscar.

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:33 pm

huggle wrote:Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit :) It's a classic in every beer tent. :toast:

I'm currently "reading" Mythos by Stephen Fry (I got the audiobook, read by the author). He retells almost all Greek myths in a very British and highly amusing style. The audiobook is particularly entertaining as once again he proves to be an excellent actor and does all the dialogues in a way that imo should earn him an Oscar.
Sounds good.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:33 pm

huggle wrote:Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit :) It's a classic in every beer tent. :toast:
That's it! I wasn't too far off. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 pm

The other say I started reading Almost Adam by Petru Popescu. Big book, small print. This will probably take awhile.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Interesting. I've never heard of the book or the writer and it's twenty years old.

Me, I'm cruising toward the climax of a book called Fallen Masks. :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 pm

^That sounds familiar.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 pm

It's new. :D

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Thu May 31, 2018 1:56 pm

huggle wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm
Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit :) It's a classic in every beer tent. :toast:

I had to sign in again, well I'm here so I can tell you that I have found a third song with blue in it to learn for the contest, and you helped me huggle. I got the dvd of Some Like It Hot from the library and watched it. When Sugar comes on camera and sings Running Wild, I thought that's a good song, and then I heard "blue" and I like it. :thumbsup: :D :dance:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu May 31, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm glad you got back in okay. :hello:

I probably haven't seen Some Like It Hot since the 70s. Not the whole thing, anyway.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:00 pm

I finished Almost Adam by Petru Popescu. This is a rather strange book. The premise is quite good with an anthropologist, Ken Lauder, finding evidence of a surviving Australopithecine in a remote region of Africa. He mounts and expedition and finds not one but two species in the area (one gracile and the other robust). But the expedition is sabotaged by shadowy forces and Ken is forced to flee into the bush after an attempt on his life. There he befriends a young gracile he names Long Toes.
And here the book starts to meander a bit as the two join forces to survive the rigors of wild Africa and his friends in Nairobi deal with an imminent coup. There is also a side plot involving a rival researcher who apparently loses his minds and embarks on a murder spree. And a lot of the book is taken up with the political and social drama in Nairobi and with the unhinged scientist. That was part of the problem with the book as the author had scientists acting like militant capitalists looking for various, somewhat far-fetched, ways of exploiting the hominids. He also had the odd habit of frequently describing the australopithecine's genitals, practically every page at one point.
The story does pick up once Ken and Long Toes find his tribe and steps are taken to find a way of preserving the hominids and the ending is satisfying.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:20 pm

I take it there's something very special about Australopithecine genitalia. :unsure:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Only that they're like humans, therefor larger than other apes.

I think this guy has issues.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 pm

I started reading The Devil's Eye by Jack McDevitt.