What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post your original works of fiction here.
RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Re: What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:20 pm

I don't remember which one that is, but I love all the Alex Benedict books.

I've still got to read The Long Sunset, which is in the Priscilla Hutchins series. I'll get to that as soon as I finish blab's book.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 am

I've got hooked atm on the "Her Royal Spyness" series by Rhys Bowen. I read vol #2, A Royal Pain, a few years ago while on a vacation but found it a bit boring. This time I started with vol #6, The Twelve Clues of Christmas, which is a good deal better. The minor characters are fleshed out very nicely and the action goes at a much faster pace than in the novel I had read previousely. Imagine a crossover between Georgette Heyer's Regency novels and Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey series and you are getting pretty close to the style in which this series is written.
I switched from the printed book to the audiobooks read by Katherine Kellgren and she manages to liven the more lengthy passages up quite nicely. Atm I am at vol #10 and am now really curious what else will happen to keep the two heroes from finally getting married (propably a certain megalomaniac Austrian turned German chancellor since the series is set in the 1930s..)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:05 pm

"Her Royal Spyness" is a clever pun. :lol: And it's set in the 1930s-- I like that. :yes:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:43 pm

I finished The Devil’s Eye by Jack McDevitt. The one thing McDivitt better than anything is pull together a great mystery that generally keeps a book going. Here Alex Benedict and Chase Kolpath are drawn into a mystery by a famous novelist who asks for their help but then opts to have her memory erased leaving them to wonder what event could have drove the poor woman to take just drastic measures. The quest eventually leads them to a remote world just outside the galaxy that is recovering from a oppressive regime and has now become something of a planet wide tourist trap.
The book zips along pretty good as the pair re-trace the novelist’s steps in order to find out what had happened and run afoul with local officials. The narrative does as the mystery is resolved only to reveal a threat of global dimensions. This does give the book a slight anti-climatic feel not to mention a depressive one. The crisis is resolved in a pleasant, if somewhat predictable, fashion.
Still this is an enjoyable book that keeps one’s interest throughout.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:23 pm

I started Coming Home also by Jack McDevitt.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:10 pm

^^ Oh, I think that's the one with the ship that winks in and out. I especially liked that one.

I'm working on blab's Squire Hayseed. I got in three chapters today at the courthouse while waiting to be called up.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:41 pm

I finished Coming Home by Jack McDevitt. This was a good and needed follow up to the events in his previous novel, Firebird, concerning all the ships that had been presumed lost but had merely been caught in a space anomaly. The start of this novel was a bit more unfocused than most of McDevitt’s Alex Benedict series. There’s the disappearance and subsequent of one of Alex’s prominent critics starts the story off but that’s quickly resolved and forgotten as a new mystery concerning ancient artifacts from humanity’s early spaceflight days arises. All while they must prepare for the immanent return of the Capella and Alex’s uncle.
The book alternate’s between the two story threads, with a first attempt at the rescue of the Capella’s passengers and Alex and Chase’s search for missing artifacts. The book did deviate from my expectations. I had expected a rousing success with the latter search, but in the end only a few of the relics are found intact. And with Alex’s uncle, Gabe, I had assumed that the rescue would fail as it would presumably change the dynamics of later books. And as the first attempt does in fact fail to retrieve Gabe I assumed that the story’s focus would fall back on the b-plot. But in the end he is miraculously giving a good ending in what was looking like a melancholy ending.
I don’t think this was the sharpest of the Alex Benedict series but it was still better than most novels I’ve read lately.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:00 am

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Gabe fits into things in future novels-- if there are any. But I was pleased with the happy ending.

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 am

huggle wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 am
I've got hooked atm on the "Her Royal Spyness" series by Rhys Bowen. I read vol #2, A Royal Pain, a few years ago while on a vacation but found it a bit boring. This time I started with vol #6, The Twelve Clues of Christmas, which is a good deal better. The minor characters are fleshed out very nicely and the action goes at a much faster pace than in the novel I had read previousely. Imagine a crossover between Georgette Heyer's Regency novels and Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey series and you are getting pretty close to the style in which this series is written.
I should check this out, I rstarted reading Georgette. Heyer to help me transition from an airman to an officer's wife. she kept me sane during a very rough time of my life, And I havve enjoyed the Peter Wimsey books very much too. I like Ngaio Marsh better and am rereading her right now, A Scotland Yard chief detective inspectter from the gentry is Roderick Alleyn.
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:15 am

emma glitch wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 am
huggle wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 am
I should check this out, I rstarted reading Georgette. Heyer to help me transition from an airman to an officer's wife. she kept me sane during a very rough time of my life, And I havve enjoyed the Peter Wimsey books very much too. I like Ngaio Marsh better and am rereading her right now, A Scotland Yard chief detective inspectter from the gentry is Roderick Alleyn.
I may have listened to a Rhys Bowen or two. As soon as I recover access to my audible library I'll check.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:36 am

Today I finished blab's Squire Hayseed, which was fantastic. Any publisher would be stupid not to grab this one. Then I began McDevitt's Long Sunset, which is his latest Priscilla Hutchins novel (I think it's kind of funny that they're still calling it the Academy Series when the Academy has been disbanded). It's starting off a bit depressing-- in a mirror of the current political climate, the public mood has turned negative and opposes interstellar exploration. The presidential candidate is running on a platform of fear that explorers will turn up a more advanced and hostile species that will follow them home and destroy Earth.

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:23 am

I am rereading Ute Ranke-Heinemann;s Eunuchs for trhe Kingdon of Heaven.
Sje is the first female CAtholic theologian and she tells how the Catholic church came to hate women so much. I would like to know what she has to say about the same priests who declared women evil because of sex, having heir evil way with children.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:59 pm

^^ That's interesting.

I'm almost done with McDevitt's The Long Sunset. I'm enjoying it, though I have a couple of problems with it....

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 am

Paul made it in today and he says. he's working on finiishing up his second novel.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Cool. I hope you get it to beta read soon.

I finished up The Long Sunset. It was great, but not as great as McDevitt's other stuff. A scientist receives a brief transmission from outer space that is just a few seconds long, showing a waterfall and some alien music-- basically a jazzed-up version of the "Wow" signal. This sets off a conflict over whether to track it down or abandon interstellar exploration altogether. There is a growing movement on Earth promoting fear of the universe, saying that meeting an advanced and hostile race is inevitable. In the Academy Series Universe, humans have found mostly just ruins of extinct civilizations, and just one living intelligent race, which is primitive and warlike. This changes in this volume, though, as Priscilla Hutchins and her crew discover two new alien species, neither one of which is the one that sent the signal-- although one of them was relocated by those aliens to avoid the destruction of their homeworld. The big problem I had with the book was that first contact with both of these planets was far too casual. On one world, Priscilla and her crew crash land and are saved by the local aliens, who accept them pretty easily, and language and cultural barriers fall pretty easily. The alien culture and technology is way too similar to Earth of the 20th century. The aliens are humanoid but dolphin-like. On the other world, Priscilla and crew land, thinking that they've found the source of the alien signal, but these aliens-- humanoid but canine-like-- don't have interstellar travel anymore, having abandoned it for cultural reasons (along with a cranky AI that lives on their moon). The crew meets with a mid-level government functionary and arranges for help for the other aliens (whose new world is doomed by the same Black Hole) and then leave, never even meeting the planet's leader. They also explore ruins on a dead ice world, where everything is also far too similar to Earth. I kind of expected more imagination from Jack McDevitt.

But now I have begun Hyperlight 8, which has exotic aliens galore. :saucer:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 pm

^I remember the extinct aliens in The Engines of God were culturally rather human-like as well.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:10 pm

And the Noks, that previously known primitive race in the Academy Universe, was fairly humanoid, too.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:22 pm

I pre-ordered Jack McDevitt's new Alex Benedict novel, Octavia Gone, which is due out next May. Amusingly, the capsule description of the plot still uses the book's original title, apparently, which is Blame It On The Aliens. I kind of like that one better. It would make a good name for a sitcom. :lol:

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:14 pm

emma glitch wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 am
Paul made it in today and he says. he's working on finiishing up his second novel.
he ia interested in the book I have been reading, The complete book OF NOVEL WRITING, which has informaton about becoming a hybrid: self publishing, then getting a conract to have his books printed but he will still be allowed to self publish ebooks. Sounds good to me.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Nice. I'd like to know more about that. I think we'd all like to have a deal like that. :book:

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am

Current reading: 'Good Omens', Pratchett/Gaiman, because miniseries next year. Have a couple library books, but thinking I should read 'Hogfather' for Xmas.

And if anyone is up for it, I have a PDF of Catching Light. Granted, it's in A4, Courier New 12 point, and 374 pages... but it is short stories, in easy to read format, there is an index (so you can use the GoToPage function), and (he sez, getting up on his figjam box) some of them are pretty damn good and a couple of them controversial. If anyone wants in, let me know.
"... times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:47 pm

^^ Do you mean for beta reading? Otherwise I'd rather buy it and make you some money (and pump your sales figures). :D

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:50 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:47 pm
^^ Do you mean for beta reading? Otherwise I'd rather buy it and make you some money (and pump your sales figures). :D
Either way, I'm in.

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:59 am

The book I'm currently reading is Anne Hillerman's Song OF THE Lion, a continuation of her father's Chee, Maneulito and Leaphorn mysteries. It is good and reading it I have been thinking aoubt his memoir, SEldom Dissapointed, which I have in my li brary, okay it is my guest bedroom but so full of books that nobody can sleep there. One of these days I'll find it and enjoy it again, it's about having low expecttions and his WWII experiences.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:51 pm

^I've read the first book in Hellerman's Navajo series, Skinwalkers, but never got around to reading the rest. They made a couple of good movies based off them as well. Hopefully his daughter can continue the series as children taking over their parent's novels don't exactly have a good track record.