General announcements.

Moderator: Renie

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

welcome and bug list

Post by huggle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Welcome to the new server!

For those of you who are curious: this server is called Phoenix. It belongs to Lunarpages, a company in Los Angeles. They name all their servers after objects in space instead of giving them a number.
The server is physically located about 2 miles northwest of Disneyland Ca. In the 17 years I've rented a server segment from Lunarpages there was only one single hour that my domain was offline, that was when the server was moved from downtown LA to Anaheim. Theoretically, it may go offline if there's a major earthquake in LA but so far it has experienced several 4.6 quakes without even slowing down.

Every day around midnight PST (8:00 GMT) the board will get a little slow for 5 minutes. That's the time they make the daily server backup. The board will stay online during the backup, it will just be a bit sluggish.

The domain name SDG3 dates back to 2001 when friends of mine were looking for a new server for their board called SDG. I volunteered to host it and since it was the third incarnation of that board the domain was called SDG3. The first board was nicknamed "socially disturbed galaxy", hence the SDG, but later we decided that the abbreviation stood for "simply damned good" :D. The board does still exist but has been inactive for a decade. It's about the size of ReNext but apart from the index page it is invisible to non-members. (If you'd like to have a look you'll have to register there http://sdg3.com/forum ).

New/changed features:
the server doesn't run the software necessary to automatically resize images. As a substitute, there is a new button labelled "rs". With that one you can resize large images to a width of 600 pixels. If you click on the small picture, you will get rerouted to the large picture. Use the back button in your browser to return to the thread.
Alternatively to the button you can also use rs-tags:

Code: Select all

[rs]http://address of large picture[/rs]

[Bug list:
  • board refuses to accept attachments larger than 2 MB (status: under examination, not yet solved, possibly just wrong settings)
  • copy BBcode for videos from old board (status: fixed)
  • posting options format buttons not showing (status: fixed)
  • third coloured text in post not properly displayed in spite of correct tags! (status: fixed apparently it was just a board hickup)
  • image resize (status: fixed YAY!!! (by whom???)
  • youtube brackets don't work (status: not yet solved, very likely just wrong settings)
Please report all bugs you encounter. I'll list them here and update their status as I work on them.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

Jim Gamma
Centurion
Centurion

Re: welcome and bug list

Post by Jim Gamma » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Not so much a board-related bug, but something for those with accounts on multiple SDG3 hosted boards. The password auto-entry features of most domains only remember one password per domain/username - so the first time I signed in here it tried to use my TerranBBS password for example. Just something to be aware of. :)

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:58 pm

I wasn't aware of that as always enter my password manually, for security reasons. Do auto-entry features only look for the domain, not for the subdomain?

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Hmm, I wonder if that means I'll have to sign in here and at Terran manually each time. No biggie, and it would only effect Jim and me.

I haven't encountered any bugs so far. Everything looks great.

And I've reset the pointer at http://www.RenaissanceNext.com to here. :yes:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Cool :) thank you!
I was thinking of joining Terranchat tonight but frankly, I am too tired. Must catch up with last week's sleep. :sleep:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Yeah, it's too bad Chat is so late for you. I'll be tired, too. The last time I was there, two weeks ago, I fell asleep. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Ah, I found my first bug: The embedded videos have turned into links. We don't seem to have the video code anymore. And come to notice it, the buttons are all text with no icons. That's probably a setting in the Admin CP that I can change.

Jim Gamma
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:38 pm

huggle wrote:I wasn't aware of that as always enter my password manually, for security reasons. Do auto-entry features only look for the domain, not for the subdomain?
Yes, usually just the domain and account name. (I could for instance set my login here as Jim instead, and make sure I always select that account from the drop-down list I get, which would allow me two separate login records in my browser.)

No biggie, just have to remember to tell Chrome not to update my password. :D

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:39 pm

added to list (the videos are just a bbcode, that should be easy). But I see no text-only-buttons. Did you fix that already??

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:47 pm

No, I couldn't find the settings yet. But come to notice it, the whole menu is quite different:
Menu.jpg
This is how it looks over at the old board. Something probably just needs to be enabled, but I can't find it.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 pm

now I see what you mean. That's a difference in the template, I, think. I had difficulties sorting the two intertwined and heavily customized templates of the old board. This might take a while to fix.

(edited: or perhaps not :) )

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Ah, I see. No wonder I couldn't find it. :lol:

I did find the BBCode settings, though. It's weird, because the BBVideo code is enabled, but still won't work-- I enabled the YouTube code, and it worked when I tested it. :conf:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Well, it beats me. The custom settings in BBVideo seem fine, but it won't work. No biggie, though. We can just use the youtube code from now on.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Looks like you fixed it. :lol:

And then some-- all of the custom codes have buttons now, including the old ones that I wrote a while ago.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Utter coincidence! They were all there and active but the board hadn't realized that. I simply had to call them up once and now the board remembers them.
And by pure coincidence I found the resize feature (YAY! but who'd have thought that it hides in ABBC3 settings??) It seems that I only have to download and install a few additional files to give us that function back.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:44 pm

^^ I noticed that resize thing and wondered if there was a connection. There seems to be also a bunch of other codes available to look at to see if they would be useful.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 pm

indeed. I activated the Youtube button which was set to "inactive". And for some reason the font type button still refuses to show. But we're getting there :)

LOL and now it's almost time for Terranchat! Usually I'm in bed by 7 and now it's almost 10. I'll just grab a bit to eat and then join you there :)

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:53 pm

huggle wrote:indeed. I activated the Youtube button which was set to "inactive". And for some reason the font type button still refuses to show. But we're getting there :)
That's weird. I had already activated the YouTube button a while ago (and used it in Hargil's and Sea Creature Lounge). Also, I can see the font type dropdown up there where it belongs. :conf:
LOL and now it's almost time for Terranchat! Usually I'm in bed by 7 and now it's almost 10. I'll just grab a bit to eat and then join you there :)
Cool. It will be nice to see you there. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Oh, the BBVideo code is working now! Did you do something?

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 pm

yes, it was deactivated

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Strange, it was enabled when I looked at it. And I even disabled it and then re-enabled it. :mellow:

Also, I figured out the zoom thing I experienced. Somehow I inherited by Terran settings, because we're on the same server now.

Orpheus
Augur
Augur

Post by Orpheus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:19 am

Anopheles
Drosophila
Coleoptera
Lepidoptera...

Oh wait. I see what you mean.

The "one password per domain" thing is browser specific. I don't have that issue in firefox, which remembers password by context. l different passwords for different password-protected areas on Ex Isle. On some browsers it's "one password per username per domain", so you can get by by having different usernames for different boards in the same domain. Clicking a blank username field yields a drop-down menu of known usernames for that domain, choosing one will auto-fill the corresponding password.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 am

Anopheles falls under the jurisdiction of my colleague. But Drosophila belongs to me - we've both been appointed Bavaria's uppermost experts for Diptera last year. She does the Nematocera (midges) and I do the Brachycera (flies) :D
As for the Coleoptera (beetles) and Lepidoptera (butterflies), the first have many aquatic species (some of whom are unable to swim, interestingly) and there is even one butterfly who counts as aquatic since its caterpillars mine the leaves of pond lillies. To make up for it, there's one species of caddis flies who lives on land while all other species of that family are strictly aquatic.

Off-topic or rather back to the thread's topic: which of you earned a huge hug for reinstalling the image resize? I was just going to do it but see it already does work. :thumbsup: :dance:

Orpheus
Augur
Augur

Post by Orpheus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:07 am

[youtube][/youtube]

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 am

You get a big hug anyway :) {{{{{{{Orpheus}}}}}}}

all bugs fixed except for that attachments >2 MB problem. It must be a wrong setting but not one of the obvious suspects. I'll go over the settings line by line the next days.
Right now I'll take a break - it's Föhn weather and I have a mean migraine which interferes with my concentration.