Board upgrade next weekend

General announcements.

Moderator: Renie

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Board upgrade next weekend

Post by huggle »

I just tried to upgrade the board to the newest version which was released only yesterday and unfortunately it turned out that that version was very buggy.
Therefore, I attempted to downgrade the board to the version 1 number before the buggy one (we are atm running a version that is 4 numbers beneath the buggy one) but didn't succeed. Due to a database bug I was forced to restore the board from the backup I made this morning. Unfortunately, that means we have lost all posts made in the last 8 hours. On the positive side we have a functioning (though slightly outdated) board again.

I apologize for the inconvenience :(

Coming Saturday I'll try to manually upgrade the board to the highest bug-free version. The manual update takes longer than the automatic one but as the automatic offers only the buggy version, I have no choice. The board will very likely be offline all Saturday.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Board upgrade next weekend

Post by Lupine »

I was wondering why there were so few new posts this morning. I did notice when I tried to peak in at around 11:00 last night that the board was offline.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

yep. That was between 7:30 and 17:00 my time.
The core of the problem was that my server offers an auto-update function which installs the newest version of the board software but only that one, no older version. Unfortunately, yesterday a new one was released, so I had to pick that one. Turned out it was rather buggy and one particular bug kept everyone (including myself) from logging on.
It took me roughly 3 hours to find and eliminate that bug but in the meantime I got more bug alerts from other phpBB admins so that I decided to manually downgrade the board to phpBB 3.2.5, the last properly running version. That downgrade was more complicated as I had feared and when the board vanished completely for half an hour I gave up and restored the board from a backup I had made at 7:30 am CET / 10:30 pm PST. So atm we are back to version 3.2.2.
As I had already prepared the files for an upgrade to 3.2.5, that upgrade should go rather smoothly. But as I can't use the automatic update tool I shall have to do the upgrade manually which takes several hours. The upgrade itself takes only a few minutes if all goes well but there are many files to upload and that is time-consuming.
A bit annoying, but I have always liked a challenge :)
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Once again, welcome back to version 3.2.2. :hello:

As you may have read, version 3.2.6 is so buggy we can't possibly use it. Therefore I just tried to upgrade semi-manually to version 3.2.5 but the stupid installer-programme sniffed out that there is a newer version and insisted in installing that one - no chance to override it. So I once again restored the board from the latest backup and therefore we are still and again on version 3.2.2.

However, there is a tiny spark on the horizon: about half an hour ago version 3.2.7 was released and is supposed to contain the fixes for at least 4 bugs version '6 had. But with #6 being only 1 week old, there might be a number of further bugs still waiting to be discovered and fixed...
Hence, I'd rather wait a few weeks to see how this newest version behaves and which bugs it might develop. The next upgrade attempt will be in August, I'd estimate, since until then I have lots of weekend appointments that leave me little time for editing the board's software (class meeting, boss' birthday, secret preparations for nice team mate's 60est birthday, parents' wedding anniversary, press conferences, international Danube sampling, and garden- and cat-sitting for my neighbour who's going on a premature honeymoon with his BF - a sort of test run for their impending marriage :yes: )