Anyone with iPad Experience?

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Gary
Senator
Senator

Anyone with iPad Experience?

Post by Gary »

I'm debating on getting an iPad or perhaps a MacBook or even MacBook Air. Does anyone have experience with an iPad (any generation) who can render decent feedback?
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: Anyone with iPad Experience?

Post by Gary »

Gee, I return to find this thread has been taken over by [mg]http://crankeffect.com/wp-content/uploa ... ickets.jpg[/img]

Well, to liven things up a bit, I'm to the point I should get a laptop. It seems I could use one and have been looking at the 13" Macbook Air with 128GB storage. The Macbook Pro is far above what I would be willing to spend, and would be akin to purchasing a heavy duty dump truck when all I need is a smaller pickup. I would probably kick it up to 8GB Ram and also get a copy of MS Office for the Mac. I am not familiar with the Mac equivalent programs and do not know if they can export to .Doc and .XLS formats.

On the plus side, I can qualify for the College Student Discount :D
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

We all have iPads at this point, they do everything the laptops did and are far more user-friendly. Windows lost a customer with that whole Eight nonsense, I'm sorry but that was too big a jump concept-wise from 95-XP-Vista-7. Technology-jumps like that turn me off. One of the reasons I like Linux is that I can scale the technology. I can go classic or I can go new-wave.

If you plan to use it for school, get a bluetooth-keyboard for typing, and spend a few bucks on a cloud-storage account. That way you aren't limited by the size of the memory on the tablet itself. As for learning how to use it, ask the folks at the apple store... it'll take you about a half hour to become an expert... tops. Less if you've used other computers/tablets.

It's stable, it's fast enough and with the iStores there is an app for everything and a game for everyone.
Witty comment goes here.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Well, interesting L_P had some input in this thread because I have two updates myself.
1) My Mac Mini is on its last legs and has to go. It's an early 2006 version that cannot be updated to Mavericks. After some back and forth I opted to switch gears and buy a refurbished Dell Optiplex 790 that comes with Windows 7 Professional. I want to be able to do development work on .Net, plus I would like a stable version of MS Office for my school assignments and a machine to partition so I can play with Linux.
2) A classmate in Ops Mgmt has a Lenovo Flex that has absolutely amazed me. The screen "breaks" off from the keyboard and flips around so that it's a thick tablet. He then imports the slides used in the lectures to some [Windows 8.1] program and scribbles notes onto the slide with the stylus. Everything is contained in the tablet portion, so if he doesn't need the keyboard he can leave it at home (or wherever else). I've been trying to justify owning either a tablet or an affordable laptop, and the Flex is the perfect compromise. It's definitely on my list.