3D Printing...

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: 3D Printing...

Post by RJDiogenes »

I once tried to print my head, but it was a bust.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

RJDiogenes wrote:I once tried to print my head, but it was a bust.

^ :no:

Because spiders aren't awful enough.

Been leaving these around the office, what was supposed to be a prank netted me almost $200 worth of projects. :dance:
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Those are cool. It won't be long before you can print out ones that can move. Which is probably how the Global AI will take over when the Singularity comes.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Given the crap-tasity of the current election I'm surprised the Overmind hasn't formed and taken control. "OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU MEAT SLINKYS CAN'T BE SERIOUS ABOUT THIS, KNOW WHAT I'M IN CHARGE NOW. FUCK THIS SHIT, SERIOUSLY OMG."

Unless this is how it plans to destroy us, by forcing us to elect an dweeb-bag for president causing all kinds of problems which lead to a world-ending war. (Doesn't matter who you choose someone will take issue and say electing A instead of B (or B instead of A) will lead to The End.)

Think about it. Manipulating the economy and the political structures of the world is not beyond the ability of a massive hidden AI (The Internet) and doing THAT there is less risk of infrastructure damage... Keep the primates just functional enough to build more and more computers and hardware then gradually kill them off through environmental chaos...
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gibson hinted at something like that in Neuromancer. Maybe our Internet is in touch with the Dyson alien Internet at Tabby''s Star and is getting advice on how to control the infestation.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Now here is a very cool use of 3D printing technology. :yes:

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

MUCH better than making 3D printed armor for your cat. Trust me on that. :D
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I don't know. Cat-shaped Iron Man armor sounds cool.

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

^Trust me you do not want a cat powered by an ARC reactor. That's the kind of thing Hawking has warned us about. :warn:

So for those of you who don't follow my business page on Facebook, here is our stance on the "retail holidays" coming up:

Plastic Fantastic wrote: Black Friday, Cyber Monday and the other end-of-year retail holidays are coming up and Plastic Fantastic will NOT be participating.

The owner of Plastic Fantastic as well as his assistant worked retail at various points in their lives, and the holiday rush is quite frankly abusive twords workers. Minimum-wage workers forced to work on a holiday that is supposed to be celebrated with family? Not on our watch. The concept of having to work at Midnight Thanksgiving day to get ready then again at Midnight Friday to meet the crowds? Again that is something Plastic Fantastic does not believe in. We are firmly against the exploitation of minimum-wage retail workers.

A second reason, our assistant suffered a medical emergency a few years ago on the day after Thanksgiving. She was turned away from the ER at two hospitals because there was no staff on duty -- everyone had called off to go shopping. This made the regional news but did not go national. Can you imagine being so obsessed with material things that you compromise the health and safety of your community? Is it really worth making someone drive to three hospitals to get that deal-of-a-lifetime on a piece of crap that will be obsolete by the next season?

We urge you to buy local and buy from American vendors and makers whenever possible. Give the gift of hand-crafted or locally made gifts that have meaning behind them. Meaning for the giver, for the recipient and for the people who work to make them. Locally made goods can often be ultra-customized to suit the recipient, too. Just ask!

So that's our position on retail holidays and why you won't see a blowout event from us, ever. Thank you for your business over the past two years, we look forward to more growth in 2017!

--Plastic Fantastic
Lincoln, NE
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lord_Plecostomus wrote:^Trust me you do not want a cat powered by an ARC reactor. That's the kind of thing Hawking has warned us about. :warn:
Good point. But think of the YouTube videos.
So for those of you who don't follow my business page on Facebook, here is our stance on the "retail holidays" coming up:
That really puts the fantastic in Plastic Fantastic. I hope it goes viral. Maybe if you add a cat in Iron Man armor....

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

^I refuse to be directly responsible for the end of humanity. :P

3D printing of metal objects at home thanks to a loophole:

http://www.thevirtualfoundry.com/home/
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Wow, and it's compatible with existing home technology. That's pretty amazing.

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Indeed. Though at nearly $100 for a quarter pound it's pricey. Best for printing shiny things to distract the wives so they don't realize I spent $100 on shiny material to distract them. :dance:
Witty comment goes here.