The Mars Thread

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: The Mars Thread

Post by RJDiogenes »

Congratulations. Maybe they'll name a mons after you. :D

I'm a little surprised. Those moons sure look like asteroids. But if it's true, things must have looked very interesting in the centuries after that impact. It doesn't say when the impact might have taken place, but I wonder what effect it would have had on the Martian seas and atmosphere. It might have been the death blow to Mars's chances to be an Earth-like world.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

NASA is planning a new conference about Curiosity on Thursday.
https://www.space.com/40792-nasa-mars-r ... e=facebook
Something exciting? Or NASA over-hyping things again?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Interesting. The article says that it recently started drilling again, on the side of a three-mile high mountain. It probably found something that is intriguingly, but not definitively, indicative of an ancient fossil, but could also be explained by various geological processes, and so proves nothing conclusive and adds no additional weight to existing conjecture, but which can be discussed and debated endlessly.

And, wow, Curiosity has been at work for nearly eight years now!
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:15 pm
Interesting. The article says that it recently started drilling again, on the side of a three-mile high mountain. It probably found something that is intriguingly, but not definitively, indicative of an ancient fossil, but could also be explained by various geological processes, and so proves nothing conclusive and adds no additional weight to existing conjecture, but which can be discussed and debated endlessly.
:lol: Looks like you got an early preview!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Spoilers! :D

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, I was close. :lol:

But this is all great news-- still more evidence bolstering ancient and present life, and nothing to contraindicate it. The complex organics are a very good sign, especially close to the surface. The seasonal methane blooms are not new, so I'm not sure why that was included in the article, but I personally find that to be very strong evidence for contemporary life.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I think was was new with the methane plumes was that they are repeating in the same area. Also a positive sign. But most importantly is that life can't be excluded as a source of the carbon.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The way I understood the methane plumes was that they appeared in certain areas in the Spring, when things warmed up a bit. Maybe there's more information beyond what was summarized in the article.

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

"Organic molecules? It's a cover-up. Curiosity was burying a Martian cat he had run over.

We all knew it was inevitable... Curiosity is the nicest rover you'd ever hope to meet, unless you're a cat.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Actually it was a squirrel, but no one wants to talk about that.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

As long as it wasn't Dejah Thoris. :unsure:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Here is an interesting article about a global dust storm on Mars. The most interesting thing is the picture from Curiosity that actually shows the storm from the surface.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Looks rather like some of the dust storms out my way. I guess if you've seen some dust storm, you've seen them all. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Except on Mars they're pink-- and cover the whole planet. :eek: :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

There might be a lake on Mars! :eek: