Science Tidbits #5

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Science Tidbits #5

Post by RJDiogenes »

Clearly, the IAU needs to be far more specific in their planetary definitions. :warn:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^They can't even handle that in our own solar system. Any day now Uranus will be redefined as a snow-globe.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, according to their definition, planets don't exist anyway so it might as well be. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Speaking of planets, Zooniverse has a new project where you can help look for planets using TESS data.
I toyed with it yesterday though I'm still not entirely sure how this works. At times it seems too easy and it seems like some of the data fields are repeats, but who knows? Maybe we can find a planet.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Interesting. I wonder if we can name the planets we find.

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

would that be similar to SETI? Downloading a data package, analyzing it and sending it back?

a bit off-topic: by the end of this week comet 46P Wirtanen will reach its closest point relatively to both the Earth and the Sun. Unfortunately, its tail will point away from us, so that it won't be visible. But the comet iself should be visible with the unaided eye.
To see its current position go to https://www.heavens-above.com/comet.asp ... t=0&tz=UCT
At the top right corner you can switch languages. Above it is a link that'll allow you to enter your location and display the comet in the exact angle from your place. The database covers even small villages so that everyone should find their homes :)
Once you entered your location and clicked update, you'll be rerouted to the start page. There, scroll down to Astronomy, click on Comets and then select 46P Wirtanen to get back to the map with the comet's current position. It'll now display your local time and correct angle.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

huggle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:06 pm
would that be similar to SETI? Downloading a data package, analyzing it and sending it back?
You mean that screen saver? I don't know, but I think this involves more user interaction, like examining light curves visually or something.
a bit off-topic: by the end of this week comet 46P Wirtanen will reach its closest point relatively to both the Earth and the Sun. Unfortunately, its tail will point away from us, so that it won't be visible. But the comet iself should be visible with the unaided eye.
Cool. I was able to use that to find where the comet should be using my Sky Map app. Unfortunately, the traffic lights next to my house are exactly in the way at the moment, but it should move higher in the sky as the night wears on.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Yeah I've been waiting for the comet and wondering if I'll be able to get a pic of it. :camera:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 pm
huggle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:06 pm
You mean that screen saver? I don't know, but I think this involves more user interaction, like examining light curves visually or something.
Yeah, no downloads. Just looking at light curves.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And Ultima Thule is coming into sight of the New Horizon's probe. :yes:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

And the flyby will be right on New Year's Day. This should be very interesting. I hope it's a contact binary. That would be really cool.

And here is something pretty amazing that I came across today. Ancient, almost immortal, bacteria deep in the Earth, with implications not only for the origins of life here, but for the likelihood of finding life on other worlds. It would surprise if there's not something like this on Mars, and maybe even some other bodies in the Solar System.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^For all we know these guys might be from Mars. If something like this is found elsewhere in the solar system it will be interesting to compare the DNA. If they're life-spans are as long as is supposed they should be nearly identical to their Martian or Venusian cousins if they are in fact related.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good point. Living things of that vintage could certainly prove the panspermia theory-- although it might be a while before we can dig that deep on Mars.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Far out!

A record breaker for sure, but one that probably won't last long.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oh, yeah, I meant to post this and forgot. "Encounter at Farout." :D It's because of little guys like this that the IAU created such a restrictive definition of planet. There's got to be hundreds, if not thousands, of them out there. And the discovery was made as part of the search for Planet X-Large, so they might be closing in on it.

I also meant to post this. The first private spaceplane successfully crossed the threshold of space. We're getting closer to economical spaceflight. :cooldude:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Though with the price tag it will be awhile before the average joe can have a go at it.