Author's Check-in #11

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Author's Check-in #11

Post by australis »

So, o Authors!

What is your experience with self-publishing?

Do you prefer Amazon/Kindle? Or maybe Kobo? Or another? Do you have a preference? Who would you run to? Who would you run from?

Trying to snare an agent but:
a) it's hard any time;
b) it's even harder here;
c) no one wants to represent a short story collection (though, as I pointed out, many famous authors started their life with same);
d) or SF.

SO, what crowd y'all run with?
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

What few sales I get tend to be from Amazon. I also published with Smashwords (which I think is linked with Kobo), but I get virtually no sales there. After a glitchy start Amazon's interface is pretty easy to use and their print-on-demand feature is easy to use as well and produces a well made hard copy- if not entirely economical.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

My paperbacks are through Lulu at the moment, although my sales there have tapered off to pretty much nothing. My ebooks are with Amazon and I get a few pennies deposited in my account either from the US or the UK most months. I think when I do paperbacks in the future, though, I will go through Amazon. I really liked how Lupy's books turned out.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
blablover5
Centurion
Centurion

Post by blablover5 »

Just two more scenes and this book is done! Losing that week to a stupid illness really set me back on finishing this thing.
Arisen from the ashes of many burned asunder accounts I come to fill your heart with blackest ink and glitter!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

What stupid illness? What happened?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

blablover5
Centurion
Centurion

Post by blablover5 »

It was a weird cold and allergy attack that just compounded into causing me to stay awake all night two nights in a row. That really messed me up. I don't recommend it.

I tried whipping up a quick cover for my Son of Krampus novel.
Arisen from the ashes of many burned asunder accounts I come to fill your heart with blackest ink and glitter!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Krampus has a good-looking kid. Must take after his mother's side of the family. :D

I'm glad you're feeling better. :thumbsup:

blablover5
Centurion
Centurion

Post by blablover5 »

Time to start getting ready for Power, I guess.

It's just been such a long Christmas season, I am burned out for marketing.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Happy Holidays, blab. :yes:

That's a great ad, though. It captures the mood of the novel pretty well.

blablover5
Centurion
Centurion

Post by blablover5 »

Thanks. Time to start begging for reviews, I guess. Probably should have done it a few months back but I just couldn't find the energy. Even now I'm dragging my feet. WHY DOES THIS SUCK SO MUCH?!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

You need an administrative assistant. Some handsome young intern willing to do anything for job experience.

I assume you need the review on Amazon, so I will do that when I have a moment.

I'm also thinking of signing up for Ko-fi. My New Year's Resolution is to monetize anything I can. Do you use the free account or the paid account, and how is it working out for you?

blablover5
Centurion
Centurion

Post by blablover5 »

I use the free account. I get all of my coffees through people I know. It doesn't really bring in anyone new.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, it's worth a try, I guess. I'm going to see if I can embed it in my webcomic posts. I've got a few hundred followers on Tumblr, so who knows?

Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

My run-through of the Dragon Age series is complete, so I shall be resuming work on Hyperlight 9 next. :)
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I'm in the middle of a massive drought.