Science Tidbits #5

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Science Tidbits #5

Post by RJDiogenes »

Where do Sub-Neptunes end and Mega-Earths begin? :lol:

It's a shame that TESS isn't that good at finding planets that are farther away from their star. That seems to rule out finding anything in the habitable zone.

This one is definitely weird, though. The star must be a Red Dwarf if the planet has an orbit of 36 days, but has a surface temperature of only 300 degrees. And that's kind of an odd temperature, too. It seems like we don't see many that are just a little bit hotter than Earth like that. And if it's three times bigger than Earth, then it's atmosphere is probably denser, so that means the boiling point of water would be higher, so it's possible that this place has wicked hot liquid oceans. I wonder if that would save it from becoming a Mega-Venus.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Where do Sub-Neptunes end and Mega-Earths begin? :lol:
That's actually a big question here. Since we have no planets in our system in that size range it is a bit of a mystery where "Earths" end and "Neptunes" begin. It might have to do with water content or the amount of heat from their primary.
RJDiogenes wrote:
It's a shame that TESS isn't that good at finding planets that are farther away from their star. That seems to rule out finding anything in the habitable zone.
TESS is using the same transiting technique as Kepler, so it will likely be years before it starts to detect planets in the Goldilocks Zone. Kepler broke down just as it was on the verge of doing so.
RJDiogenes wrote:
This one is definitely weird, though. The star must be a Red Dwarf if the planet has an orbit of 36 days, but has a surface temperature of only 300 degrees. And that's kind of an odd temperature, too. It seems like we don't see many that are just a little bit hotter than Earth like that. And if it's three times bigger than Earth, then it's atmosphere is probably denser, so that means the boiling point of water would be higher, so it's possible that this place has wicked hot liquid oceans. I wonder if that would save it from becoming a Mega-Venus.
HD 21749 is a red dwarf, but you're right about the temperature. At .68 Solar Masses you'd think that the planet would be hotter than that.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:35 pm
That's actually a big question here. Since we have no planets in our system in that size range it is a bit of a mystery where "Earths" end and "Neptunes" begin. It might have to do with water content or the amount of heat from their primary.
True. In this case, it's not just as simple as mass. It's a matter of composition.
TESS is using the same transiting technique as Kepler, so it will likely be years before it starts to detect planets in the Goldilocks Zone. Kepler broke down just as it was on the verge of doing so.
Coincidence? I think not!
HD 21749 is a red dwarf, but you're right about the temperature. At .68 Solar Masses you'd think that the planet would be hotter than that.
Yeah, that's a pretty tight orbit. Maybe they meant to say 3000.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

And here we have evidence of more Dyson structures in the galaxy. Aliens are everywhere!

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Lack of aliens aside it's interesting that they're finding so many such stars out there.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, I can't wait to find out what's going on-- and why they've never been noticed till now.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

There's cotton growing on the Moon!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I wonder how much the tee shirt they make from it will cost. :D

Actually, it sounds like the plant experiments are not doing too well so far. I wonder which of the culprits listed in the article are responsible. I think we can discount the launch and the low gravity. I'm a bit dubious about the radiation, too, although I wouldn't be surprised to see mutations if the cotton continues to grow and the other plants sprout. I think the temperature swings are probably the most likely reason, although the article doesn't specify how extreme those swings are-- and you'd think they would have done as much as possible to protect the plants from all these hazards.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Yeah, they didn't make it. :no:
Though reading the article the experiment did seem a little half-hearted as no heater was included. Plant seeds sent to Lunar orbit have done well before as many of the Moon Trees are still alive.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Aww, the poor plants. :( What did they expect to happen with no heater? They essentially sent them to their doom.

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

An interesting follow-up on the oddities of Oumuamua: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDZyI83Bj2w
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

This looks quite interesting. I'll see if I can watch it over a jug of tea in the morning.

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

Not a JUG of Twisted Tea, I hope.

Oh well, allowing for seasonal adaptation (definitely missing this year), this may be the first good snowstorm we've had since 2017. Go for it.

(However, looking at the snapshot that YouTube chose, I can't help but recall that "Thought" was my nickname from '83-'86.)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That certainly contained a lot of food for thought as to how the data can be interpreted in multiple ways, which alter the size and shape of Yomama-- even turning it into a light sail. And it's kind of weird that it can be at rest relative to the local group, but still manage escape velocity from the Solar System. I'm not sure if I quite understand that part. Unfortunately the scientist spent a lot of time making irrelevant arguments, like Einstein's reluctance to accept quantum theory, which gave him kind of a von Daniken vibe.
Orpheus wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:50 am
Not a JUG of Twisted Tea, I hope.

Oh well, allowing for seasonal adaptation (definitely missing this year), this may be the first good snowstorm we've had since 2017. Go for it.
Yeah, and I have tomorrow off. Why not? :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Some new evidence that complex life on Earth could be much older than previous thought.