Supernatural Season 14

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Supernatural Season 14

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, this was a good episode and I enjoyed it a lot-- although, for a 300th episode and the return of John, it was kind of low key.

The good part, of course, is that John returned and the boys got to talk to him and say things that they never got to say in the past-- and, fortunately, they were able to include Mary in this brief reunion. I'm glad that Sam and Dean got to resolve some of their issues, and I hope this is felt in future episodes. It was great to watch them all together, and to see John learn about everything that has happened in the past fourteen years-- he just wanted to kill Yellow Eyes, but his kids have gone on to save the world and pal around with Chuck. It was good that they didn't dwell too much on the changes to the timeline or turn it into some world-ending Apocalypse-- it was just enough to let them know that John had to go back and they had to make the most of their time together, which left them more time for the character interactions that we've been waiting all these years to see. Which brings us to the less good....

The episode spent an awful lot of time on those kids for absolutely no reason at all. They didn't figure into John's story a bit. It was almost like there were two mini stories in a single episode, like an episode of Phineas and Ferb (not that I don't love Phineas and Ferb). Maybe these kids are going to be showing up in future episodes, but I would have preferred that this entire story dwell on John being back with his wife and kids.

The other thing that disappointed me a bit is that the John they met was plucked from the past. I was hoping to find out where John disappeared to and why he wasn't found in Heaven. In fact, I was hoping for kind of a big revelation there, maybe one that figured into the Michael plotline. Well, who knows, maybe we will still find out someday that John went to the Big Empty or, better yet, some other special place reserved for the best of the best.

And I wonder if this episode might not have some other repercussions further down the road. The fact that John remembered his time trip as a dream was kind of sweet-- but what if he considered the possibility that it was more than a dream and took some sort of action as a result, something that will make itself known when Sam and Dean try to find a way around Billie's one and only solution to the Michael Crisis.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 am
Well, this was a good episode and I enjoyed it a lot-- although, for a 300th episode and the return of John, it was kind of low key.

The good part, of course, is that John returned and the boys got to talk to him and say things that they never got to say in the past-- and, fortunately, they were able to include Mary in this brief reunion. I'm glad that Sam and Dean got to resolve some of their issues, and I hope this is felt in future episodes. It was great to watch them all together, and to see John learn about everything that has happened in the past fourteen years-- he just wanted to kill Yellow Eyes, but his kids have gone on to save the world and pal around with Chuck. It was good that they didn't dwell too much on the changes to the timeline or turn it into some world-ending Apocalypse-- it was just enough to let them know that John had to go back and they had to make the most of their time together, which left them more time for the character interactions that we've been waiting all these years to see. Which brings us to the less good....

The episode spent an awful lot of time on those kids for absolutely no reason at all. They didn't figure into John's story a bit. It was almost like there were two mini stories in a single episode, like an episode of Phineas and Ferb (not that I don't love Phineas and Ferb). Maybe these kids are going to be showing up in future episodes, but I would have preferred that this entire story dwell on John being back with his wife and kids.

The other thing that disappointed me a bit is that the John they met was plucked from the past. I was hoping to find out where John disappeared to and why he wasn't found in Heaven. In fact, I was hoping for kind of a big revelation there, maybe one that figured into the Michael plotline. Well, who knows, maybe we will still find out someday that John went to the Big Empty or, better yet, some other special place reserved for the best of the best.

And I wonder if this episode might not have some other repercussions further down the road. The fact that John remembered his time trip as a dream was kind of sweet-- but what if he considered the possibility that it was more than a dream and took some sort of action as a result, something that will make itself known when Sam and Dean try to find a way around Billie's one and only solution to the Michael Crisis.
Once again, you've summed up what has been rolling around in my brain. I've never been good at written summarizations because my brain goes all over the place and the words don't make it to the keyboard (or paper). Where in the universe is John Winchester??? Also, will Michael eventually escape? Are there more consequences for Sam's, Dean's, and Castiel's actions?
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 am
Where in the universe is John Winchester???
Where in the universe indeed? You'd think this would be a bigger deal. Maybe Castiel knows something that he's not telling.
Also, will Michael eventually escape? Are there more consequences for Sam's, Dean's, and Castiel's actions?
I'm pretty sure that the Michael and Nick storylines are going to come together, but I'm not as sure about Heaven and the Big Empty. They haven't touched on the crisis of Heaven falling apart in a while, but the only solution that I can think of is bringing back Angels from the Big Empty. Maybe they'll get to trade Michael for a host of regular Angels or something. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

No more Supernatural until March 7th.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:38 pm
No more Supernatural until March 7th.
:(
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Almost forgot! The boys are back in town! :ghost:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Well, it was interesting to see a gorgon as the type of monster they're fighting. Dean's reference to Clash of the Titans was humorous, but I don't understand Sam and Roweena's disapproval of his referencing Medusa turning people into stone since that's what I remember from all the Greek mythology I had to read in high school. After all that, Michael received a brief respite before being taken out by Jack, and now Jack is restored to his full power. However, this leads to a new question regarding Jack's new status -- is he the chicken, or is he the snake? Will Michael's grace end up changing Jack since, as Rowena pointed out, he's held together with a mish-mash of magic and powers Sam and Dean cannot possibly comprehend. Yet again another example of Billie's warning that there are consequences for their actions, not to mention the one book which has the ending written for Michael's demise.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I definitely do not believe that the Michael storyline is over yet, and not just because there are a few episodes left in the season. There is still Billie's warning, and nothing has happened to imply that it has been invalidated somehow-- unless she was just lying to begin with. Either Michael has tricked everyone somehow (perhaps by slipping into Jack hidden in the Grace like a Trojan), or Jack will be corrupted by Michael's grace. I don't think the Lucifer-Nick story is over yet either, and I still believe they will be tied together by season's end.

But as far as this episode goes, I got a big kick out of Sam and Rowena playing a married couple-- Rowena really got into her roleplaying. :lol: And how did Jack manage to keep his clothes when changing back and forth into a puppy? I know of one person who was very disappointed in that, and I'm sure there were many others. I also liked the fact that the Gorgon was a connoisseur cannibal. I've always wondered why monsters are such messy eaters. Werewolves I can understand, but why do Vampires always have to make a mess?

I was very disappointed to see the alternate-world Hunters slaughtered. I'm hoping that Jack can save them with his newly restored powers.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

New episode tonight! :ghost:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

This is great. I can go straight to https://www.cwtv.com/shows/supernatural/ and watch the episode the day after it has aired. WOOT WOOT!

Meanwhile, it does appear Michael's grace has tainted Jack. Castiel is dubious there was no after-effect, which he witnessed at the end of the episode. It makes me wonder if Michael died, or merely changed form and might take control of Jack. We don't know how much of Jack's soul was burned off in the battle, which really puts things into perspective.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Jack has definitely been damaged by everything that's happened to him, but it remains to be seen exactly how and what the consequences will be. Is his entire soul gone or just part of it? And what does that mean? Donatello has no soul and he's not evil-- just kind of sad. When Jack killed his pet, he demonstrated that he still has compassion, but seems to lack any empathy (of course, he would be considered a Millennial, based on his apparent age :lol:). And it still seems to me that the Michael storyline was wrapped up too quickly, so I'm still considering the possibility that Michael is secretly possessing Jack or that he had Evil Grace that is corrupting Jack. But I still feel like we must see both Michael and Lucifer-- or at least Nick-- before season's end.

Overall, this was a good episode, with lots of Supernatural character humor. I loved Dean awkwardly trying to be paternal and testing out Jack with the Angel and Devil snacks. :lol: And Sam and Cass partnered up in the 1950s town was hilarious. Cass is not quite the naive bumpkin that he used to be, but he is still not the go-to guy for sensitive social situations-- and it seems like he has no Angel powers at all now for some reason.

And it looks like all the interdimensional Hunters are dead forever. I'm surprised that Jack did not have Archangel resurrection powers-- I wish they had at least mentioned it or addressed it somehow.
Gary wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:15 pm
This is great. I can go straight to https://www.cwtv.com/shows/supernatural/ and watch the episode the day after it has aired. WOOT WOOT!
Cool. That might come in handy for me the next time Supernatural fails to appear on On Demand.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Castiel has some kind of powers, because his angel eyes glowed when he was confronting the girl on his suspicions she knew what was happening in the town.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's true, I forgot about that. And he threatened to pull the information from her brain. But in the fight with Sam and the others he didn't seem to have any more than normal human strength.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

New episode tonight! :ghost:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »