2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: 2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Post by Gary »

I came to the realization several years ago that the GOP are always manufacturing some boogeyman -- immigrants, gay marriage, women's rights, etc. Their outlook of the world is always close-minded and bleak, yet they always claim to be forthright and optimistic.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

What does a screwed country look like? :uk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDxBN1y5C8o
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"We want breakfast! Make it so!"
Gary wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:26 am
I came to the realization several years ago that the GOP are always manufacturing some boogeyman -- immigrants, gay marriage, women's rights, etc. Their outlook of the world is always close-minded and bleak, yet they always claim to be forthright and optimistic.
Which also sounds remarkably like the 21st century Left Wing.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Judge keeps opioid trial on track

Changing gears a bit as this is taking place where I live. This may drag on for years, but it's high time someone were held responsible for the Opioid Epidemic which has been a plague on our country.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

The New Deal Wasn’t What You Think

Wow. My ultra-Conservative father was wrong with his Fox News type beliefs regarding the New Deal.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Rewriting history is worse than ignorance of history. I think the key phrase in that summary was "not ideologues but practical men and women." How do we find people like that these days, both in government and society in general?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:00 pm
Rewriting history is worse than ignorance of history. I think the key phrase in that summary was "not ideologues but practical men and women." How do we find people like that these days, both in government and society in general?

The biggest problem is pointed out by Robert Reich when Reagan said government is the problem. The far right have eaten that up for 35 years and absolutely will not face reality.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was the only one doing her job during Michael Cohen's hearing

Unlike the Republicans, who kept screaming "Liar, liar, pants on fire!" at Cohen. Yes, AOC was very composed and professional.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Gary wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:57 pm
The biggest problem is pointed out by Robert Reich when Reagan said government is the problem.
Every time I hear him (or anyone else) say that, I think "and you want to be in it because...?"
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Or, "That's because you're in it." :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Mass shooting in New Zealand - Announcement within hours, "We're going to change our gun laws."
Mass shooting in the US - Announcement within hours, "It's too soon to talk about changing the gun laws."
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

We'll see what they actually do, though.

As much as I've been enamored of Bernie the last couple of years, I've found myself leaning toward Cory Booker in the current crop of Democratic candidates. This week, there was an article about him dating Rosario Dawson. Aside from being bitterly jealous, it got me thinking about the chances of an unmarried candidate in the current political climate, where much is usually made of the candidate's family life (The Donald aside, of course). As far as I can remember, there's only been one unmarried president in American history so far, so if he were to win we'd have yet another presidency of historic note.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I'm not yet overly excited by any of the candidates. I had been leaning towards Kamala Harris, but as of late I have found her to be a little too eager to jump onto any passing bandwagon. People call on Al Franken to resign- she calls on him to resign. Governor Newsom declares a moratorium on the death penalty- she calls for a moratorium on the death penalty. She seems to be chasing trends more than actual leadership.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I was a bit disappointed in Beto O'Rourke. He apparently has been joking about how his wife handles most of the family stuff while he is busy being a senator and campaigning and stuff and some PC busybodies complained and he fell all over himself apologizing. I think a president needs more backbone than that. He was complimenting her. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^There's also some bizarre writings from his youth that will likely come back to haunt him.