Science Tidbits #5

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Science Tidbits #5

Post by RJDiogenes »

And they have successfully imaged the shadow of the event horizon of the gravity of the Black Hole. Our universe at work. :cooldude:
Lupine wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:44 pm
There appears to be a new species of human. Since it seems to share some characteristics with Homo floriensis I imagine that they're both descended off the same ancestors.
It's kind of amazing to think of human-like hominids populating the Philippines more than 700,000 years ago. Three quarters of a million. I wonder what the islands were like then. I kind of didn't even realize they were that old.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^With sea levels lower due to the Ice Age they would actually have been larger.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:57 pm
And they have successfully imaged the shadow of the event horizon of the gravity of the Black Hole. Our universe at work. :cooldude:
We can image a black hole here even. :hole:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:51 pm
^With sea levels lower due to the Ice Age they would actually have been larger.
Good point. And it's very likely that most of the settlements would have been along the shorelines, which means that all evidence is lost forever now. :(
We can image a black hole here even. :hole:
Watch your step on the accretion disk. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Another possible planet orbiting Proxima Centauri- with emphasis on the word "possible". However judging by the descriptions it sound like it will be a small gas giant or maybe an ice giant.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And in other news (well, not news per se but just really cool) here's a family tree for the Dromaeosauridae!
:dragon:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 pm
Another possible planet orbiting Proxima Centauri- with emphasis on the word "possible". However judging by the descriptions it sound like it will be a small gas giant or maybe an ice giant.
I would be shocked if there are any stars that have only one planet-- or no planets. Except maybe very near the galactic core. Planets are basically dust and debris around the star, and I can't imagine any star being so clean that it has no planets.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^True, but just the act of finding them is the amazing part. I have an old book about life on other planets from the 40s where the author is insisting that we'd never be able to detect planets around other stars. Look where we are now.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, it wasn't that long enough that we were barely detecting hints after years of research. Now they're imaging storm systems on alien gas giants.

Here's kind of an interesting and grisly discovery. Human sacrifice in the Iron Age. Definitely some story material there. :book:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Yeah, a lot of the Bog People appeared to be the victims of human sacrifice. It probably wasn't fun period to be alive. :no:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Talk about great free advertising. Too bad there's not a Star Trek show on to take advantage of it. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I saw that! :lol: It would make a great plot device for a time travel ep.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

There's still time to work it into the Picard series....

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Happy Asteroid Day. :hello:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Oh! I missed it.

.... or did it miss me? :tomato:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

There's been a couple of close calls lately. :lol:

In other news, the Planetary Society's solar sail experiment is making good progress. The first attempt was destroyed in a launch failure a few years ago, but this one seems to be doing well.