The Orville - Season Two -- SPOILERS

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Re: The Orville - Season Two -- SPOILERS

Post by scottydog » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:38 pm

^^ You're absolutely right.

No episode tonight. Nor is there one next Thursday. :sob:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Something to tide us over:

Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Attachments
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (49.13 KiB) Viewed 225 times

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:29 pm

Yeah. :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:16 pm

^^ I just rewatched that episode. It really is a sweet love story between Gordon and Laura. His shipmates tried to rain on his parade, which was both understandable yet also cruel.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Yeah, that was one thing that was odd about the episode. The rest of the gang was uncharacteristically intolerant. I guess they had to move the plot along and that was the only way to do it, but that Pictionary scene was kind of unpleasant. Except for Talla with her long hair and glasses, which was pretty cool.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 pm
Yeah, that was one thing that was odd about the episode. The rest of the gang was uncharacteristically intolerant.
Since The Orville is not shy about commenting on social issues, maybe the crew's intolerance was Seth McFarlane's way of warning us about the dangers of being addicted to our "devices". We do need to be grounded in reality and have "real" connections with people.

Interestingly, I thought Gordon's rebuttal to Ed Mercer's arguments were pretty strong. In some ways, Laura is every bit as real as Isaac -- and maybe more so.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:04 pm

That would really open up a can of worms. If she was real, then she would have the same rights as everyone else. So, for starters, she couldn't be shut off. She would have to be told that she is a hologram in the 24th century. She would have to be given the same freedoms to travel and so forth as anyone else in the Union. And then what about all those other people in the simulation?

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 pm

^^ Yeah, I remember TNG grappling with those issues. Didn't Picard decide to allow Moriarty to live in perpetuity in a simulation? It's been many years since I've seen TNG and I should go back and revisit all their arguments for and against holodeck characters being real people with real human rights.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:41 pm

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Moriarty. I think they whipped up a device to keep his simulation going even when the holodeck was shut down. Presumably, by that point in time, they would have some criteria or test to definitively establish if a hologram is sentient. It might even be illegal to create sentient holograms (although one wonders how that would stand up in court, given that people create sentient beings all the time), or at least safeguards to prevent it from happening willy-nilly.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:33 am

^^ Yeah, that Moriarty episode is begging for a sequel or follow-up.

Do we have a new Orville episode coming up this coming Thursday or do we have to wait another week?

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Yes, the next episode is on Thursday. There are three left all together.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:57 am

Good. They still haven't announced that there will be a Season 3. I'm getting nervous. :no:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:30 pm

I'm worried, too, but I'm reading optimistic predictions online, in part because of the huge tax break they're getting (the same one that the Picard show is getting).

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 pm

I'm very much pro-tax-break
Attachments
GUEST_714d6c9a-be14-40ce-8bca-4a959097133d.jpeg

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:01 pm

I have to confess to being baffled. That looks like a multi-tamborine pile up.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:01 pm
That looks like a multi-tamborine pile up.
I was thinking drumset cymbals myself :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Or those little bells that jesters wear.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:51 pm

I think it might be back tonight!

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:18 pm

Indeed, The Orville returns tonight! :bounce:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 am

Good episode. Who knew Dolly Parton could be put to such good use in the 25th century?

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:57 pm

^ :lol:
It was a little predictable but good. However even with a bit of a predictable setup the ending was rather unexpected. An imperfect solution but one that was believable and plausible. Two steps forward, one step back. And a surprise to see Marina Sirtis! That's another Trek alum to appear in this show.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Dolly Parton? :mellow:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Well, this was not exactly the best episode of Orville, although many of the pieces of it were good. But the Moclans are beginning to remind me more of Odo than Worf in that they obviously didn't think through the concept before going forward. From an SF standpoint, the interesting concept of a single-sex species has been pretty much lost-- if so many females are born, they are not a single-sex species and if they have females why do the males lay eggs? Do females also lay eggs, or are they capable of reproducing like humans? Are males who lay eggs capable of impregnating females? Do males lay eggs and females have live births? How do the concepts of male and female even apply to this species? Ow, my head. And from a storytelling standpoint, with this episode in particular, rather than promoting a more subversive perspective as they usually do, they're not only feeding on pre-60s gender stereotypes, but validating them. In retrospect, if they weren't going to accept or explore the concept, it might have been better to either turn the concept on its head and go with a female-dominant species (which also would have made the egg-laying more sensible) or just go with an arbitrary SF division, like the half-moon people in "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield."

But the discovery of the Underground and sanctuary colony, followed by the rapid deterioration of relations between the Union and the Moclans, then the debate and ultimate compromise, were done really well. The previous episodes with the Kaylons made it all the more imperative that the Union find a way to keep the Moclans on board-- although, after this, they better be smart and start finding a backup source of weaponry. The Moclans are clearly not on board with Union values and act more like enemies than allies in debate-- although Bortus and the others represent the potential for change-- and there's only so far moral compromise can go. I loved the team of Admirals and the struggle between principle and practicality, and the acknowledgment of other points of view. While it seems like a pretty cut-and-dried situation, the show didn't make it easy with the Moclans painting the situation as child abduction and trafficking.

And the team of Admirals was pretty amazing. I love Victor Garber and Kelly Hu, and I'm surprised at the gravitas that Ted Danson has attained with age. F Murray Abraham as the president, or whatever, was cool, too. The entire Union Council sequence was both cinematic and stunning with its wide array of alien species-- classic SF on a Golden Age level there. I want to know more about all those alien people.

In terms of our own people, most everybody got to shine in this one. Ed, despite starting the series as a broken man, is now hobnobbing with the Admiralty and addressing the Union Council. Kelly got to take command and put her career on the line for a matter of principle-- as did Bortus, followed by Talla, who also took command and took the ship into battle with a superior enemy. Gordon got to save the day with his superior piloting skills, which haven't been mentioned in a while. Claire didn't get to do much, but Isaac got to speak, which he hasn't done since the Kaylon skirmish. But where was poor John? I don't think he even showed his face.

And then there's Dolly Parton. Not exactly my favorite artist, but the bit in the shuttle was cute, as was the dramatic reading in council. But playing "9 to 5" over the space battle was just wrong. I suppose it was better than all those contemporary action trailers that give us slo-mo hyper-violence overlaid with reedy Millennial vocals, but not much.

And just so we remember that it's The Orville, we had-- what? Ed's moment of misunderstanding Halsey's hint. Dolly Parton. I think that was it. This may have been the most serious episode of Orville to date.

But, seriously, Dolly Parton? They couldn't have gotten Melissa Etheridege or someone? :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:54 pm
if so many females are born, they are not a single-sex species and if they have females why do the males lay eggs? Do females also lay eggs, or are they capable of reproducing like humans? Are males who lay eggs capable of impregnating females? Do males lay eggs and females have live births? How do the concepts of male and female even apply to this species?
I agree, Moclan reproductive biology is confusing and needs explaining. My theory is that half of all Moclans are born female, that most of those females undergo the corrective procedure, and that these "corrected" Moclans still retain the ability to reproduce. Or something like that :conf:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:54 pm
And just so we remember that it's The Orville, we had-- what? Ed's moment of misunderstanding Halsey's hint. Dolly Parton. I think that was it. This may have been the most serious episode of Orville to date.
Yes, this was a serious episode. It was great seeing Marina Sirtis as the schoolteacher, too :taptap: