Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Post by RJDiogenes »

I should have knocked on wood. I'm getting timeouts again. :no:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ I get them constantly. :mad:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Today was certainly a Monday. :as:

While entering I40 at a construction area where it's being widened and new ramps installed, I nailed the absolute snot out of a chuckhole. Sure enough, I felt it in the steering and vibrations of the vehicle -- flat tire. I called my insurance company about getting my car towed home and, after a lot of back and forth, I was told: 1) it would be close to 2 hours, and 2) it would cost $95. Heck with that, so I called to see if I could get someone to take me home, because I have keyed lug nuts which require a special socket that I don't carry at all times.

So, my friend, Fred, met me. We went to my house where I grabbed a small floor jack, sockets, breaker bar, and torque wrench before heading back to my car. Once back at the car, we changed out the tire quickly while I noticed the tread on the donut spare was worn, but I didn't think it would be that bad. Fred decided to follow me to work, since my plan was to get to work before heading to the tire shop afterward. Ten miles later, the donut let loose. So, I had to park at the side of the road again at which time we threw my flat into the back of his truck.

At the tire shop, we discovered the rim was badly bent while the sidewall and rest of the tire were fine. I called one salvage yard to see about a used rim, but the lady informed me they don't sell aluminum rims. :wtf: The tire shop dismounted the tire, after which Fred and I headed to a rim repair shop. Turned out the repair shop was backed up with two people not having arrived for work. The service tech stated it would be at least two days before my rim would be ready. :no:

So, Fred and I head back to the tire store thinking they might be able to get me a cheap, steel rim I can use in the interim. Nope. The steel rim is some kind of special order, oddball style that would take days to arrive. Fortunately, another tech head of my plight and suggested another salvage yard. I called and, sure enough, they had several 17" rims for a Mazda 3 :)

We had to drive 25 miles, but it was worth it. The rim is stock silver with no curb rash. A previous owner of my vehicle blacked out the emblems and also the rims, not to mention hitting just about everything imaginable because I had to have the rims straightened and trued about eight or nine years ago. So, back to the tire store where, for $20, the tire was mounted and the wheel balanced. I've been a customer of this particular store for almost 19 years as they provide fantastic service. Many times they've saved my bacon with great prices on tires I'd never considered.

I finally got to work just after 12:00pm. I almost considered skipping work for the rest of the day; however, I had a 2:00pm meeting to attend which I had scheduled! :lol: I picked up the damaged rim after work, explaining to the tech I'd changed my mind and found a salvage rim. He was very understanding, and I was smart not to mention I picked up the salvage rim for the same price it would have cost to have my old rim repaired. The old rim will go with the rest of my scrap aluminum while my remaining challenge is sourcing a replacement donut spare. It's no surprise that thing died considering I used it several times back when I kept blowing the original "rubber band" tires the car comes with stock.

One guy at work had this to say, "At least the weather is nice." :lol: I had to agree with him, stating I'd been telling everyone that "nobody died". Had it been raining like it was this past weekend, then I probably would have wanted to shoot myself.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM.
Notre Dame is burning down.
i heard that on the news program on the tv at the Indian take out last night whiule waiting on my order. wow....they were talking about how the wood would burn and the stone fall but not burn and only the two towers would remain sat that stage....its one of the famed buildings i have actually seen IRL and photographed on my trip to Paris back in 2014.
my yesterday began with observing grandkids playing computer games, a trip to maccas where we had coffee and they had soda, a trip to a garden center and a trip to a store. i then hit the plot and pplanted out the first 3 brussels sprotu seedlings fo the year and dug over the next patch to fill. i then discusseed tadpoles at work - theyre coming home to my pond next week.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Hopefully the timeouts will not plague us today.... :unsure:
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:25 am
Mine actually have a pattern. I can't get through for thirty minutes, then I have about four or five minutes when I can get through. Last night I just opened up posting windows for every thread, wrote my replies, and posted (most of) them all together thirty minutes later. The weird thing is that I don't get timeouts when I check from my phone during the day or at night-- it's like posting actually triggers them.
Gary wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:47 am
I finally got to work just after 12:00pm.
Man, that was a lot of grief just for a tire. :no: But you don't have AAA?
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:23 am
i heard that on the news program on the tv at the Indian take out last night whiule waiting on my order. wow....they were talking about how the wood would burn and the stone fall but not burn and only the two towers would remain sat that stage....its one of the famed buildings i have actually seen IRL and photographed on my trip to Paris back in 2014.
It sounds like they save the stone part, but everything made of wood burned. They managed to save some of the stuff inside, but I don't think they know how much yet.
i then discusseed tadpoles at work - theyre coming home to my pond next week.
You should have a party. :D

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yup, it took me about thirty minutes to post that. :(

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Chewsday, all :hello:

Today's my heavy teaching day. But I might be able to get home by 4pm for a late-afternoon nap :sleep:
Gary wrote:
Had it been raining like it was this past weekend, then I probably would have wanted to shoot myself.
Ughh. It was painful just reading about your tire adventures. This is why I admired The Flintstones -- their tires were just rocks, so they never got a flat.
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:23 am
its one of the famed buildings i have actually seen IRL and photographed on my trip to Paris back in 2014.
The Wife and I will be in Paris in just 3 weeks, so I'll get to see the charred remains :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 am
Yup, it took me about thirty minutes to post that. :(
Yup, that's been happening to me every day. How much longer until things are back to normal? Two more weeks perhaps? :headbash:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :yawn:
RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:
Mine actually have a pattern. I can't get through for thirty minutes, then I have about four or five minutes when I can get through. Last night I just opened up posting windows for every thread, wrote my replies, and posted (most of) them all together thirty minutes later. The weird thing is that I don't get timeouts when I check from my phone during the day or at night-- it's like posting actually triggers them.
I'm wondering if they're time sensitive. I haven't gotten any timeouts during this. :conf:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:44 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:
I can't get through for thirty minutes, then I have about four or five minutes when I can get through. Last night I just opened up posting windows for every thread, wrote my replies, and posted (most of) them all together thirty minutes later. The weird thing is that I don't get timeouts when I check from my phone during the day or at night.
I'm wondering if they're time sensitive. I haven't gotten any timeouts during this. :conf:
Consider yourself lucky! It's been a pain in the posterior posting lately.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Gary wrote:
I finally got to work just after 12:00pm.
Man, that was a lot of grief just for a tire. :no: But you don't have AAA?
I never bothered renewing AAA several years ago but may change my mind about that. I would have been out of luck, no matter what, considering the donut spare let go at 10 miles. I'm wondering if I can file a claim with insurance or the State (the latter is doubtful).
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I almost forgot that I had to go to HQ today. :blush:
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am
This is why I admired The Flintstones -- their tires were just rocks, so they never got a flat.
I seem to remember Fred getting a flat.
The Wife and I will be in Paris in just 3 weeks, so I'll get to see the charred remains :no:
Looks like they managed to save a lot, and they will begin rebuilding soon. Probably not in three weeks, but you may see the beginnings of the restoration.
Yup, that's been happening to me every day. How much longer until things are back to normal? Two more weeks perhaps? :headbash:
I don't know. I'll email huggle with details. This is the third day that it's been this bad.
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:44 pm
That occurred to me, too, but it's too precise. As soon as I post here, it starts. The weird thing is that posting at Terran (which is on the same server) doesn't trigger any timeouts, but if I try to go back there after posting here, I get the timeouts. :wtf:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 pm
I seem to remember Fred getting a flat.
A flat rock -- now that would be interesting. We should start a Flintstones thread in the Television forum :lol:

Maddy, I hope you get some good brussel sprouts this year. The Wife and I are not going to plant them this time. Maybe next year.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. the tadpoles are already home in the pond since they were eating each other at work... at the mo the sprouts are 2 inch high seedlings, but....more going in this morning after i drop off a card/note/gift on L. double work today and tom, double walk fri and double empty at the weekend, coming up. yesterday I walked thru the next town along, thru mewsbrook park where i grabbed a coffee, along the seafront/river into littlehampton then along the railway to the out of town shops to grab a hinge to fix the bike alley dsoor with, then walked back - took me 4.5 hours as i stopped off to 2 stores in small town.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Why is it not Friday yet?
scottydog wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:08 am
A flat rock -- now that would be interesting. We should start a Flintstones thread in the Television forum :lol:
Well, I guess it was more of a fracture than a flat. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 am
GM. the tadpoles are already home in the pond since they were eating each other at work...
Whaaat?! :eek:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

We no longer pay for AAA, as our auto insurance has roadside assistance included in it. They seem to be quicker and cheaper, than AAA.

I would like to get a few more tadpoles for the pond, but I am afraid that my koi will eat them.

It is my long day at work, today. It is also one of the busiest days of the week.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.