Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Post by scottydog »

Happy Wednesday, everyone :hello:

I finally finished grading this huge stack of papers. Only it was a metaphorical huge stack because for several years now student papers are electronically graded. I figure I've personally save several forests :tree: :forest:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 am
the tadpoles are already home in the pond since they were eating each other at work...
Nothing like cannibalism to kickstart my appetite for breakfast this morning :loopy:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 am
Why is it not Friday yet?
In retirement, every day will be Saturday. :bounce:

Arghh. It took me 30 minutes to post this :Ahhh:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Have a dentist appointment later today, though I'm not sure why. :conf:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Why is it not Friday yet?
Because it's Wednesday. :calendar:
Cayla wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 am
I would like to get a few more tadpoles for the pond, but I am afraid that my koi will eat them.
My aunt tried getting them in her ponds but her turtles ate them.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

happy wednesday, in spite of all timeouts.

So far I encountered only one timeout, this morning at 6 am CET / midnight EST / 9 pm PST which lasted about half an hour.
I did some work on the server yesterday between 5 and 6 pm CET / 11-12 am EST / 8-9 am PST and the server reacted as fast as always. Possibly that time window is safe. The problem seams to occur mainly at those times when most people in the US are online (before breakfast, after supper).
I have no idea what causes the timeouts. However, it might give the technitians a clue if we can provide them with more data. Could you log at which times you encounter timeouts and either post them or mail them to me? (huggle [at] sdg3.com). I'd then collect the data into a table and give that to the techs so that they can compare with the server logs and see what happened at those times on the server. If it's really a server prob it should be fixable. I hope it's not a net problem or DOS attacks on other domains on the same server. Those would be very hard to get under control.

RJD, have you tried using a proxy? Maybe that works. There are a few good online ones where you just insert the target url. Also, did you try emptying your browser cache and the cookie folder?
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I think the chicks are getting close to leaving. The oldest has been standing on the edge of the nest this morning. I think later today or tomorrow the first might bail.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

test
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

huggle wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:27 pm
test
I give your test a passing grade :taptap: :thumbsup:
Lupine wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:33 pm
I think the chicks are getting close to leaving.
I hope your adjustment to the empty nest goes better than mine did :lol:
huggle wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm
it might give the technitians a clue if we can provide them with more data. Could you log at which times you encounter timeouts and either post them or mail them to me? (huggle [at] sdg3.com).
I get the timeouts at the beginning of our day on the US east coast (6-7am EST) and also at the end of the dinner around dinner time (6-7pm).
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I think every single supervisor call came to me today. I need a vacation. :dead:
Cayla wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 am
We no longer pay for AAA, as our auto insurance has roadside assistance included in it. They seem to be quicker and cheaper, than AAA.
Yeah, I've heard that a few of them do that these days. AAA also has a lot of good travel assistance and savings, although I haven't used that in a long time.
I would like to get a few more tadpoles for the pond, but I am afraid that my koi will eat them.
Can you put them in a fish tank or something until they turn into frogs and then put them in the pond?
scottydog wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 pm
In retirement, every day will be Saturday. :bounce:
I can't wait for that day to come.
It took me 30 minutes to post this :Ahhh:
I logged in at 5:55pm, at which time I opened a new tab for every thread I need to respond to. The timeouts started at 6pm, and I had a three-window to post what I could until the timeouts started again. I'll post this post in my next window, which will be slight more than an hour after I first got here. Sigh. :mellow:
Lupine wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:50 pm
Just a regular checkup?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Because it's Wednesday. :calendar:
I always overlook the obvious answer. :mellow:
huggle wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm
So far I encountered only one timeout, this morning at 6 am CET / midnight EST / 9 pm PST which lasted about half an hour.
That's how long mine last, except they're continuous with only short windows between them.
RJD, have you tried using a proxy? Maybe that works. There are a few good online ones where you just insert the target url. Also, did you try emptying your browser cache and the cookie folder?
I haven't tried a proxy, because I have no idea what that is or how it works, but I did clear my cache and run Ccleaner.
Lupine wrote:
I think the chicks are getting close to leaving. The oldest has been standing on the edge of the nest this morning. I think later today or tomorrow the first might bail.
Wow, I wonder what they'll do when they go out into the world. Disappear forever or hang around?
huggle wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:27 pm
test
Check. Roger Wilco. :announcer:
scottydog wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:20 pm
I hope your adjustment to the empty nest goes better than mine did :lol:
Maybe the Roadrunner Chicks will become international Rock stars. :cooldude:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I struggled to post again tonight. Will the timeout problems be over by April 30th? Hope so.

I will now go have some chocolate chip cookies to cheer myself up. :yum:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. might have a new cleaning job. 2 x work done yesterday - 2 x work ahead today. then 'vacation' for an event i dont celebrate but the country i live in does.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Hopefully today will be an easier day than yesterday. At least there is a long meeting that I can sleep through. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:15 am
I struggled to post again tonight. Will the timeout problems be over by April 30th? Hope so.
I sure hope so. This is pretty painful.
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:27 am
might have a new cleaning job.
Congratulations. When will you know for sure?

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Thursday, everyone :hello:

Just the usual teaching today, alone with a meeting or two with cranky students who will grovel for higher grades. :ohno:
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:27 am
then 'vacation' for an event i dont celebrate but the country i live in does.
Easter is another wonderful excuse to gorge on chocolate. Isn't that the purpose of a lot of these holidays, e.g., Halloween, Christmas, etc.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:05 pm
I think every single supervisor call came to me today. I need a vacation. :dead:
That's what you get for being so good at your job. You need to become a slacker. Then they'll leave you alone.

Hope y'all have a great day :cooldude:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

Mom will spend the day with me. We will finish making the plans for our road trip. This evening, we have my nephew's 11th birthday party. I'm not understanding how it is possible for him to already be 11-years-old. :conf:
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :coffee: :yawn:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:50 pm
Just a regular checkup?
Yeah. Turns out it's been six months already.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Wow, I wonder what they'll do when they go out into the world. Disappear forever or hang around?
I'm wondering that myself. The parents have been here for months now so I'm hoping the kids will hang around for at least a while.
Cayla wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41 am
This evening, we have my nephew's 11th birthday party. I'm not understanding how it is possible for him to already be 11-years-old. :conf:
They grow fast.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

The oldest of the roadrunner chicks has been out of the nest this morning, though he's not going far just hopping around on the rack the nest sits on.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

There may be a job change for me in the near future. Internal transfer, not a different company. Fingers crossed.
scottydog wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:48 am
Easter is another wonderful excuse to gorge on chocolate. Isn't that the purpose of a lot of these holidays, e.g., Halloween, Christmas, etc.
I'll celebrate any holiday where I get presents and/or fed.
That's what you get for being so good at your job. You need to become a slacker. Then they'll leave you alone.
I've been trying to think of ways to just coast until I can retire. :lol: The next best thing may be coming....
Cayla wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41 am
This evening, we have my nephew's 11th birthday party. I'm not understanding how it is possible for him to already be 11-years-old. :conf:
Time just keeps on speeding up. My Niece and Nephew are adults. My youngest Brother is an old, old man. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 pm
Yeah. Turns out it's been six months already.
See? You turn around and your teeth are six months older. :no:
I'm wondering that myself. The parents have been here for months now so I'm hoping the kids will hang around for at least a while.
Hopefully they will consider the porch their home base, where they at least come back for birthdays and holidays.
Lupine wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:19 pm
The oldest of the roadrunner chicks has been out of the nest this morning, though he's not going far just hopping around on the rack the nest sits on.
The moment of truth is almost upon us....