DEATH TO ALL TEMP SERVICES

Gather ye activists! What is your cause? Are you a Progressive? Are you a devoted ally to anti-privilege? Are you a feminist? Are you an anti-feminist? Are you a dedicated fighter for the rights of X group? Talk about your activism, and the issues surrounding it, here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

DEATH TO ALL TEMP SERVICES

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

...ok that's a little extreme but my goal is to bring to light the abuses that we New Yorkers are currently suffering at the hands of various large "Staffing Services."

What is the best way to get word out in such a way that it can't be traced back to me? How do I keep names/information protected so other people can be "verified" but not be caught out as complainers?

I've had enough, I've heard enough, its time to get the Government moving on this issue. Things are to the point where people are leaving the workforce and NY State just to avoid the cyclical 90-day-then-fired routine.
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: DEATH TO ALL TEMP SERVICES

Post by RJDiogenes »

Do you mean Temp services are firing their people after 90 days to avoid giving them benefits or something?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

RJDiogenes wrote:Do you mean Temp services are firing their people after 90 days to avoid giving them benefits or something?
They play games so not only do you not get hired on (temp to hire) they make it so you don't qualify for unemployment.

Imagine working for 90 days under the promise that there is a permenent job waiting for you on day 91. Imagine being fired on day 89. Then imagine being told hey you don't qualify for unemployment because you are still "employed" by the agent even though you are not collecting a wage.

Believe it or not this is just the tip of the fuckery. Excuse the language but as Assistant To The Church Employment Advisor and having experienced it first hand... this is only part of the equation...

I need to widen the net outside the confines of the church. I need a bigger sample, a sample from the entire New York population. First I need to determine if this is just a regional thing, a state thing or a country-wide thing. I'm thinking it's regional based on the data I already have. This includes diner conversations, stories overhear bowling and other anecdotal sources.

In order to get people to come forward I need to take steps to protect their identity, as well as mine. Just so there are no... shenanigans later on.
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

So they fix it so workers don't get hired so they can continue to supply temps to the company?

Why would they fix it so they can't get unemployment? Does that cost them money, too? I thought unemployment was paid through taxes based on weekly wages.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Yes, but the unemployment tax is set on the company's experience. The more people that worked for you get unemployment, the higher your tax rate. At least in New Hampshire. It's set once a year. We get our rate in early Sept that was effective July 1st. I hope LP can figure out what is going on in his region.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That explains it. Hopefully, there are some fraud laws that are designed to prevent this sort of thing.

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

In order to do that I need to get a feel for how widespread this is and to do that I need people to come forward with information.
Witty comment goes here.