Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

Post by scottydog » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Lupine wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 pm
Same nest.
That's very economical of them. But just one? Didn't they lay 4 or 5 last time?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:58 pm
I'm definitely not loving the 10-6 shift. Of course, being zombified from losing a couple nights sleep isn't helping. :mellow:
How many days a week are you stuck with this shift? I hope you can switch out of it soon.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 am

Good evening!

scottydog, the doctor I work for is a narcissist. I cannot stand him, but I do love my coworkers and patients. He is only in 3 days per week. He comes in 2 hours late, and takes an hour nap after lunch, so I do not have to deal with him often.

RJ, my uncle is a retired Air Force Major. I'm sure he could get someone through the VA, but just like my grandmother, he does not want strangers in his house. My aunt is active in the church, too, but he doesn't want their help, either.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:14 am

scottydog wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 pm
How many days a week are you stuck with this shift? I hope you can switch out of it soon.
I think it will be fairly random. I share the job with two other people, so it should average out to a third of the time, and also a third of the time for the 9-5 shift.
Cayla wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 am
RJ, my uncle is a retired Air Force Major. I'm sure he could get someone through the VA, but just like my grandmother, he does not want strangers in his house. My aunt is active in the church, too, but he doesn't want their help, either.
Oh, I see. I can certainly understand that. It's a shame, though, because there are some really nice people who would be happy to give them a break. I hope I remember this advice when I need to listen to it. :lol:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 am

Cayla wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 am
scottydog, the doctor I work for is a narcissist.
Seems like a lot of doctors are narcissists. I'm glad he's not around much.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 am

Tomorrow, after work, I begin the process of moving back home. Not certain at which point I'll move the cats back. I've already switched the power to my name over there (sadly, I couldn't reactivate my old account number). Had I known better, I probably could have transferred service to the city house and then back again.

Anyway, Blake is coming out tomorrow so we can haul my refrigerator and washing machine with his truck. I'll be able to pack my car with loads of boxes. He's heading out of town on Saturday, so I'll spend Friday and the weekend moving boxes, most food staples, and other items. Fred is bringing his implemented of destruction (and his helper) to handle trimming trees, bushes, and shrubs. Chances are he will be able to haul my large, rolling toolbox to the old house. He'll be headed there anyway since he'll need someplace to deposit the brush (he does that a lot anyway). Blake and I will use his truck and a borrowed trailer to move the remaining large, heavy items the following weekend. After that, I'll clean as necessary and make arrangements with my agent to list the city house.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 am

GM. I know how difficult it can be - L's hub had Parkinsons, but was still able to 'wobble walk' holding on to a wheelchair and bounced back from multiple falls, and it was something else that got him in the end - but she found it difficult to manage and towards the end wasnt able to safely leave him alone - yet had to also help with B...

yesterdays gardening and todays cleaning swapped due to weather - yesterday cloudy today sunny - so today i have a cleaning job, gardening job, cleaning job - all after 2 delivieres.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 am

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

I did not sleep as well as I hoped last night. :yawn:
Gary wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 am
Tomorrow, after work, I begin the process of moving back home.
That's great. :yes:
Not certain at which point I'll move the cats back.
I wonder what the cats are thinking about this adventure. How are they behaving?
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 am
I know how difficult it can be - L's hub had Parkinsons, but was still able to 'wobble walk' holding on to a wheelchair and bounced back from multiple falls, and it was something else that got him in the end - but she found it difficult to manage and towards the end wasnt able to safely leave him alone - yet had to also help with B...
That's terrible. At least they were both able to mostly stay in their own homes until the end. That's better than being in a facility.

:tea:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 am

Happy Thursday, all. :hello:

Today my university is flying me to Panama City for 4 days to help teach a summer class there. I don't really want to do this but I'm doing it as a favor. Hopefully the 2 flights I have to take will go smoothly. I should be able to check-in tomorrow morning.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 am
I did not sleep as well as I hoped last night. :yawn:
That's a shame. How are you feeling overall?
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 am
today i have a cleaning job, gardening job, cleaning job - all after 2 delivieres.
What are you delivering? Groceries?
Gary wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 am
Tomorrow, after work, I begin the process of moving back home.
Home sweet home! :love: Who will be happier, you or your cats? :wiggle:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am

Good morning!

I was in Panama City, about a week and a half ago. I wish I was still there. *sigh*

My plans for today are to clean the house, and finish the laundry I had started last night. If the weather gets better, I may pull some weeds.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Good morning, all. :yawn:

A little warm last night to sleep well. Poppy's blood work came back OK and she got her rabies vaccine with no problems (though she did see some big dogs she wanted to kill). As for today plans are a bit fluid, but I might end up back at the Faire site for more work.
scottydog wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 pm
Lupine wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 pm
Same nest.
That's very economical of them. But just one? Didn't they lay 4 or 5 last time?
They didn't lay all the eggs at the same time, but spaced them out. I suspect others will be coming (though nothing so far).

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 pm

So, it seems my AC has been leaking for a couple of days. My carpet isn't wet, but the downstairs apt ceiling is. The maintenance guy cut a hold in the wall beneath the AC unit, and it is wet in there. He fixed the AC, and set up one of those huge fans to dry the interior space. I have to leave it running until he comes back tomorrow. No sleep for the wicked. :unsure: And I doubt I'll see Queenie until tomorrow sometime. Poor baby.

Cayla, my cousin has Parkinson's. He's the same age as I am. I haven't seen him since my dad's funeral 3 years ago. I don't expect there will be any extended family get togethers, so no seeing Jim. 😥 Out of all my blood relatives, he's always been my favorite.

Lupy, is it common for a roadrunner to lay another egg so soon after the last batch?

Speaking of Panama City, my friend who lives in Panama City Beach finally got her roof repaired. Two weeks ago.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:04 pm

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

Just as I feared, a crisis arose at exactly 5:59pm. I really don't want to get stuck late at work when I work these hours. :no:
scottydog wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 am
Today my university is flying me to Panama City for 4 days to help teach a summer class there.
Yet another adventure. Don't forget your fedora and bullwhip. :whip:
That's a shame. How are you feeling overall?
I don't really feel that bad, it's just that the sore throat or the cough wakes me up every five minutes when I try to sleep.
Cayla wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am
I was in Panama City, about a week and a half ago. I wish I was still there. *sigh*
Someday....
Lupine wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:57 pm
Poppy's blood work came back OK and she got her rabies vaccine with no problems
That's good news. :yes:
jgc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 pm
I have to leave it running until he comes back tomorrow. No sleep for the wicked. :unsure: And I doubt I'll see Queenie until tomorrow sometime. Poor baby.
You'd think they'd be able to make quieter fans these days.
Cayla, my cousin has Parkinson's. He's the same age as I am. I haven't seen him since my dad's funeral 3 years ago. I don't expect there will be any extended family get togethers, so no seeing Jim. 😥 Out of all my blood relatives, he's always been my favorite.
Where does he live?
Speaking of Panama City, my friend who lives in Panama City Beach finally got her roof repaired. Two weeks ago.
From the hurricane? Yikes. That's awful. :no:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 am

Blake and I hauled the refrigerator, washing machine, and a bunch of boxes home tonight. I was absolutely appalled at what I found at the house. First, it stinks like hell. I'm talking old pizza crust and fast food. The floors are dirty with rampant pieces of plastic, labels, and other dreck. The living room has potato chips scattered all over, and there's sticky gunk on the tile. I'll be headed to Home Depot tomorrow to get carpet deodorizer while I also buy replacement HVAC filters for both the city house and country house. My equilibrium is far out of whack, so I know it's going to take days, if not weeks, to get back to my old self. My kitchen is an absolute sticky mess. I will be headed out tomorrow evening to sprinkle deodorizer on the carpet and will let it sit until Sunday. I'll return to finish cleaning and also run my power mop.

UGGHHHHHHHH
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Happy Friday, all :hello:

The flights to Panama went well, and this morning I help teach a class. The topic is inequality and somehow I'll try to relate it to heroism. :conf:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:04 pm
Just as I feared, a crisis arose at exactly 5:59pm. I really don't want to get stuck late at work when I work these hours. :no:
Oh no. I thought you had escaped the grind. Your work life is not as grind-free as I had hoped :no:
Gary wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 am
UGGHHHHHHHH
Isn't this the last thing people say on Star Trek when they're thrown into the vacuum of space? :vacuum:
jgc wrote:
Was her roof leaking all that time? :eek:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm

GM. exactly RJ - L&I both agree home is the best place....
What are you delivering? Groceries?
nothing - they got delivered to me! :D
shudders - :( - not a nice time for you Gary...
rain stopped but is due back again in a half hour-hours time. i did manage to hop to the plot tho - snatch any ripe/almost ripe strawberries up before those slugs throw a post-rain party! :yes: theyll ripen on the windowsill and i get to eat them myself this way! off to work in a couple hours time.....then 2 empty days - unless i get :butterfly: 'd into something!

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 pm

just heard about another famed death - British actor Paul Darrow (78)...

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Finishing up laundry and I have to do some shopping later today. As for yesterday we got more done on the Faire site and the head honcho finally showed up and we briefed on our plans and got the final go-ahead. Her and her close minions will likely be up there now until opening, so we won't have the place to ourselves anymore.
jgc wrote:
Lupy, is it common for a roadrunner to lay another egg so soon after the last batch?
Actually I have no idea. I've found this year that a lot of what's been written about roadrunners isn't wholly accurate.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:04 pm
:no:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:33 pm
The flights to Panama went well, and this morning I help teach a class. The topic is inequality and somehow I'll try to relate it to heroism. :conf:
Well, people like Martin Luther King and Gandhi arose from unequal states. The Celtic queen Boudica came from Roman oppression. There's a lot to work with here.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

We're alive! We're ALIIIIVE! And it's Friday. :bounce:
Gary wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 am
I was absolutely appalled at what I found at the house. First, it stinks like hell. I'm talking old pizza crust and fast food. The floors are dirty with rampant pieces of plastic, labels, and other dreck. The living room has potato chips scattered all over, and there's sticky gunk on the tile.
Holy Crap. Even I couldn't do that much damage in such a short time. It's a good thing you didn't wait any longer to take the place back. :as:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:33 pm
Oh no. I thought you had escaped the grind. Your work life is not as grind-free as I had hoped :no:
I'm not exactly escaping the grind, I'm just grinding in a less stressful way. Even with the late shifts, it's mostly like being on vacation compared to the old job.
Isn't this the last thing people say on Star Trek when they're thrown into the vacuum of space? :vacuum:
People generally don't have much to add after being thrown into the vacuum of space. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm
GM. exactly RJ - L&I both agree home is the best place....
That's certainly how I'd want it.
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 pm
just heard about another famed death - British actor Paul Darrow (78)...
Yeah, the guy from Blake's 7. I never got to see that. They never showed it around here that I know of, for some reason.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:52 pm
Her and her close minions will likely be up there now until opening, so we won't have the place to ourselves anymore.
Curses. :no:
Actually I have no idea. I've found this year that a lot of what's been written about roadrunners isn't wholly accurate.
They do say "Meep Meep," right? :unsure:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:34 pm

^Actually "beep beep"- you have to account for the accent.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Ah, of course! :thinking:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Howdy!

My cousin lives in New Jersey, so I won't be traveling to visit.

My friend in PCB: yes, the roof was damaged in hurricane Michael, but she had it covered with a tarp until the roofer guy could get around to her.

I spent part of the afternoon baking sugar and spice cookies. They surely do taste good! :yum:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 am

Bought some Arm & Hammer carpet deodorizer after work today, packed the car, and headed to the country house. Being there, and seeing it so empty makes me feel oddly naked and helpless. I know, that's weird, but it does considering there is no noise out there. Got to examining the living room and discovered pizza sauce or remnants of some type of food decorating part of the carpet. Chips and pretzel mess all over along with cake frosting decorating the kitchen tile.

I set to work picking up the large pieces of cardboard and stacking them in the garage for a pile to recycle and a pile to burn. I swept the floor through the hallway, making note of the various sticky spots. I had to pick up solid pieces of trash in the master bedroom and the living room. Once I completed that, I decided the deodorizer would not be effective in the living room. I'll have to schedule the carpet cleaner to come out again. I used the deodorizer in the master bedroom and will let it sit for a day or two. Mind you, I had windows and doors open to air the house.

Once that was completed, I filled and fired up my Bissel steam mop and set to work in the kitchen and hallway. I am planning to hit both once or twice more. Oh, and the hall bathroom was a mess as well. I wish I knew what in the world the sticky crap is that's all over the tile!! Kitchen, hallway, and hall bathroom floors are all sticky. The kitchen counters are another story. What surprises me is I cleaned the stove a bit before they moved it, and it looks like an effort to clean the stove was made. It just surprises me that they turned out to be such slobs. I fired off a couple of flea foggers in the house before leaving. The timing is good since the cats aren't there.

Meanwhile, Fred and a helper are coming to the city house tomorrow to trim trees and shrubs. I'll pack my car with more stuff, after which we'll load my large toolbox onto Fred's trailer. We'll haul the brush and all to the country house, after which I will set to work airing the house and cleaning some more.

*sigh*

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:35 am

Lupine wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:52 pm
Well, people like Martin Luther King and Gandhi arose from unequal states. The Celtic queen Boudica came from Roman oppression. There's a lot to work with here.
Very true. I did bring up Gandhi and Mandela. I also threw in a lot of psychological mumbo jumbo (not to be confused with Jumbo from Trunkards) :elephant2:
Gary wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 am
...pizza sauce or remnants of some type of food decorating part of the carpet. Chips and pretzel mess all over along with cake frosting decorating the kitchen tile.
Never let a Frat house take over your home ever again :warn:
jgc wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:36 pm
I spent part of the afternoon baking sugar and spice cookies. They surely do taste good! :yum:
Oh God. I could use those right now :drool:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:23 am

GM. pity - i found B7 a really good show as i was growing up. well what about these then scottysog - cherry-coconut slices?
ccs.jpg
i had a cook n book day due to the rain which did stop for a short time, but not long. it back today with wind - supposed to grow into strong gales for 4-5 hours across morning-lunch then recede into sun n clouds....so....i figure house chores followed by cooking soree, followed by a plot trot - unless the phone rings and L calls and we're off out some place..... :dance:

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:11 am

Good morning all :) Apparently there was a huge storm last night and I didn't hear anything at all. I did wake up, though, when my mp3 player's battery ran empty and the audiobook suddenly stopped LOL!
It's a wonderful cloudy and cool morning now and I opened all windows to let the hot air out.
Oh shit! Some people seem to have a rather bad morning today: police, fire brigade and ambulance just passed. There must be an accident on the highway again :( The second one today and it's only 10 am.

Welcome back, Cayla! :hello: It's good to have you back, safe and sound!

{{{{{{{Gary}}}}}}} my heartfelt comiserations! Leaving a place in such a state is really outrageous. Can you charge the previous inhabitants for all the cleaning?
In some DIY stores over here you can rent a very handy carpet washing thingy - I'm not sure what it's called in English. It's like a vacuum cleaner with a water tank. It shampoos the carpet and sucks it almost dry again. Can you rent one over there? They really work miracles.
Also, can you get oxgall soap? It's unbeatable at removing all sorts of organic stains, from blood to grease.

I'm atm in a similar situation: My apartment looks as if a bomb exploded. Two weeks ago I started clearing out my attic and sorting through my stuff. I have 4 baskets of laundry to iron before giving them away to the charity shop. Also, I discovered that I have 4 moving crates of wool! Those will mostly turn into blankets for my colleagues' babies and into sweaters for the refuge children.
I'm 2/3 through with sorting and keep discovering things I had believed lost. LOL I feel a bit like Indiana Jones.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away