Check-In #99: Indian, Islamic, Hungarian Clone & Agent

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-In #99: Indian, Islamic, Hungarian Clone & Agent

Post by scottydog »

Happy Friday, all :hello:

Today is my last day of summer break, the last day of not teaching and not having meetings with students, faculty, and staff. As George Harrison once sang, All Things Must Pass. :drum:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:33 am
Not to the millions of people who come here and the millions who try to come here and the millions who wish they could.
Your assessment of America as the place everyone wants to come to seems a little outdated, as articles such as this one point out.

In my world travels I've tallied about a dozen countries I'd rather live in, places that take much better care of their citizens. But The Wife is pretty entrenched here. Because I love her, I'll stay in Trump-land. For now at least.

I hope Maddy is doing okay. Hopefully she's staying out of trouble :lol:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

It should be a peaceful work day. The doctor is off taking his 13-year-old grandson to London. As each of his grandchildren turn 13, he takes them to their country of choice for a week.

scottydog, I guess it is. My dentist friend from Ecuador says the same thing. I never realized it, until she said it. She made more money here, as a dental assistant, than there as a dentist. She also said that her family never went anywhere by car without an armed driver. Both Slovak interns have expressed that Slovakia is a poor country, with antiquated infrastructure. I also have a friend from the Ukraine, who claims life is much better in the U.S.

Last night I was able to find out that the Slovakian Gentleman is staying with me September 2-20. He flies home on the 20th. He requested for me to take him up to the observation deck of the Terminal Tower, which is downtown. I haven't done that, since I was a kid.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Cayla wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 am
My dentist friend from Ecuador says the same thing. I never realized it, until she said it. She made more money here, as a dental assistant, than there as a dentist. She also said that her family never went anywhere by car without an armed driver. Both Slovak interns have expressed that Slovakia is a poor country, with antiquated infrastructure. I also have a friend from the Ukraine, who claims life is much better in the U.S.
Yes, I've been in countries in central and South America that are in far worse shape than the US. So it's all relative. The USA has the potential to be a first-world country but until it adopts a more humane healthcare system, educational system, and gun control laws, we're a 2nd-world country. In these areas we're wayyy behind most of western Europe, Canada, Aus, NZ, to name a few.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Slovakia is poor but not that badly anymore than it used to be. My colleagues from there have a higher budget than I have.

pheeew, finally the international sampling is over. A parcel with samples got temporarily mislayed. An express one took 8 days to get from Bavaria to Switzerland (a 2 hour flight) when it had been scheduled to take 24 hours at maximum and was supposed to be kept cold at all times. It remains to be seen if that DNA-sample is still usable. My colleague in Serbia has been fighting for 2 weeks now to get a sample of mussels in alcohol through the customs. Both he and the Ministery for Science are beginning to consider the use of heavy armour...
Theoretically, I had the last 2 weeks off but what with the parcel-nightmare I spent week #1 mostly on the phone with half of Europe. Week #2 (so far) was spent mostly in bed but I still have sleep to catch up with. I'll spend the weekend helping dad to clean out the basement, and mom to cook jam. Frankly, I need another 2 weeks off...
I'll at least try to take things a bit slower the next weeks to which the fact that my jealous and spiteful colleague will be on a vacation will add considerably :D

There's good news from an old friend: auntiehill from TrekBBS has been in contact with Marie aka Ghost07. I believe she's a member here as well, at least many of us here know her. Her arthritis makes it impossible for her to hold a pen or use a computer or a telephone, so we are planning to sew a friendship quilt for her to cheer her up. Would any of you like to participate with a 12 inch square (plus 1/4 inch seam allowance on all sides)? Those who can't sew can pick a colour scheme and any pattern they like and I'll sew it for them. You can also send a short message that I'll stitch onto the quilt. If you scan or photograph it and mail it to me, I can even do it in your handwriting.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Welcome back, huggle! :hello: Sorry to hear about Ghost07's arthritis. :no:

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Finishing up laundry and there are other items to accomplish today.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:49 am
Lupine wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:12 pm
Pick up chicken feed.
How many chickens do you have and how do you keep them safe from predators?
Only one left now. I have a hunch these ones were a bit on the old side when we got them. Their pen is heavily fortified and our ravens deter hawks.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Well, that was a nice, relaxing day after a couple of shopping trips. I got some reading in and watched a movie and worked on some ideas for the Arkham Bazaar writing contest. :quill:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:31 am
Your assessment of America as the place everyone wants to come to seems a little outdated, as articles such as this one point out.
I'm not familiar with that organization, so I don't know what, if any, agenda they have, but a list of imperfections, even if legitimate, doesn't change America's status as the Land of Opportunity. And those millions and millions of people are real, despite the bad attitude from some parts of the political Mobius Strip.
Cayla wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 am
The doctor is off taking his 13-year-old grandson to London. As each of his grandchildren turn 13, he takes them to their country of choice for a week.
Well, that's certainly generous. I wonder where I would have gone when I was thirteen.
Last night I was able to find out that the Slovakian Gentleman is staying with me September 2-20. He flies home on the 20th. He requested for me to take him up to the observation deck of the Terminal Tower, which is downtown. I haven't done that, since I was a kid.
That's going to be a great three weeks. I can't wait to see some pictures.
huggle wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:15 pm
A parcel with samples got temporarily mislayed. An express one took 8 days to get from Bavaria to Switzerland (a 2 hour flight) when it had been scheduled to take 24 hours at maximum and was supposed to be kept cold at all times. It remains to be seen if that DNA-sample is still usable.
That's nothing. Some people recently lost some human DNA on the Moon. :lol:
There's good news from an old friend: auntiehill from TrekBBS has been in contact with Marie aka Ghost07. I believe she's a member here as well, at least many of us here know her. Her arthritis makes it impossible for her to hold a pen or use a computer or a telephone, so we are planning to sew a friendship quilt for her to cheer her up. Would any of you like to participate with a 12 inch square (plus 1/4 inch seam allowance on all sides)? Those who can't sew can pick a colour scheme and any pattern they like and I'll sew it for them. You can also send a short message that I'll stitch onto the quilt. If you scan or photograph it and mail it to me, I can even do it in your handwriting.
That's nice. I've been wondering if anyone was able to track her down. I wonder if there are any utilities for the disabled that we could get for her to help her get online. As for the quilt, not only can I not sew but I don't even know how I'd pick a pattern. I'd love to participate and send her a message, though, and help her get back online, if possible. I've known her since we were both at Kellyz.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm
Their pen is heavily fortified and our ravens deter hawks.
"Nevermore, you bastards!"

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

The Wife and I just saw the new Springsteen movie, Blinded By The Light. It's very good :thumbsup:
Lupine wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm
Only one left now. I have a hunch these ones were a bit on the old side when we got them. Their pen is heavily fortified and our ravens deter hawks.
Hmm. What do the ravens eat?
huggle wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:15 pm
Would any of you like to participate with a 12 inch square (plus 1/4 inch seam allowance on all sides)? Those who can't sew can pick a colour scheme and any pattern they like and I'll sew it for them.
This is very nice of you. Can I pick a chocolate pattern?
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. i think a sparrowhawk got the sparrow - a neighbor told me yesterday while i was trimming the hedge that there was one around. Ravens eat: seed, grain, road kill, nestlings/eggs...
yesterday nit rained......sp i hit the plot/hedge at home instead of my gardening job then hit the shop....today is hamster, arundel, shop, hamster...an easy day!
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Saturday, all :hello:

Can't sleep at 4am and I've learned just to embrace insomnia. So here I am :yawn:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:34 am
Ravens eat: seed, grain, road kill, nestlings/eggs...
Thanks for this info. Makes me wonder how Lupy is able to keep the Ravens away from those Roadrunner eggs & babies....
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I'm off to breakfast with Mom and Chloe. I hope it turns nice and foggy like yesterday.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:29 am
The Wife and I just saw the new Springsteen movie, Blinded By The Light. It's very good :thumbsup:
Oh, that reminds me. He has a new album out, or will soon. I've got to check on that.
Madeliaette wrote:
...mopey guys who sit around staring at their bust of Pallas. (9 days to go.)
scottydog wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 am
Can't sleep at 4am and I've learned just to embrace insomnia. So here I am :yawn:
Welcome to my world. If I hadn't gone out to the mailbox, we'd be posting at the same time. :lol:

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :yawn:

No plans today. Odd having a weekend without a Faire.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 am
Madeliaette wrote:
Thanks for this info. Makes me wonder how Lupy is able to keep the Ravens away from those Roadrunner eggs & babies....
The nest is on the porch which ravens are hesitant to venture. Ravens are actually very territorial so they drive hawks away when they see them.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

There isn't any insomnia here. I slept until 9:30am. Ten hours. I needed it. :yawn:

I do not have much on my agenda today. I may go to a church service in Parma this evening, since I will be skipping out on it tomorrow to go to the water park one last time.

Lisa is still not out of my house, but progress has been made in the basement. There has been a lot of arguing between Ron and I about it, but he realized last night that I am not giving in. She had the nerve to tell him that he needed to put his foot down with me...she was lucky he stopped me from putting my foot somewhere else.

huggle, that is so sweet of you! I do not sew. I'm going to have to think of something for the quilt square. Right now, the only thing I can come up with is a front porch, but I am sure others do, too.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Finally hit some fog down near Mom's house, but by then I was running to late to stop anywhere for foggy photos.
Lupine wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:18 pm
The nest is on the porch which ravens are hesitant to venture. Ravens are actually very territorial so they drive hawks away when they see them.
Are any of the roadrunners still hanging around?
Cayla wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:25 pm
There isn't any insomnia here. I slept until 9:30am. Ten hours. I needed it. :yawn:
I forget what that's even like. :lol:
She had the nerve to tell him that he needed to put his foot down with me...she was lucky he stopped me from putting my foot somewhere else.
Wow. :eek: :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 pm
Lupine wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:18 pm
Are any of the roadrunners still hanging around?
Gimpy and the youngest chick are still around asking for handouts. I don't see Girly Bird around much or the other chicks.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Tonight my friend Tim and I are going to see a minor league baseball game at Richmond stadium. It's been years since I've gone to a game. :baseball:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 pm
Cayla wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:25 pm
I forget what that's even like. :lol:
I desperately need a good night's sleep. I've been a walking zombie all day :zombie:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:31 pm
Gimpy and the youngest chick are still around asking for handouts. I don't see Girly Bird around much or the other chicks.
Glad to hear they're still hanging around. Are they fast runners like you see in the cartoon?