Active activism posts of examples and situations

Gather ye activists! What is your cause? Are you a Progressive? Are you a devoted ally to anti-privilege? Are you a feminist? Are you an anti-feminist? Are you a dedicated fighter for the rights of X group? Talk about your activism, and the issues surrounding it, here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Bill
Citizen
Citizen

Active activism posts of examples and situations

Post by Bill »

https://youtu.be/96eIqUOSBy0

So yeah this is me in Washington DC at the forum with some people from Congress. I was petitioning them to fund housing for the homeless..

I guess maybe if you have some activism videos or protest "things". It will probably fit here.. and if I am doing this again I will put that here too.
Thank you
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Re: Active activism posts of examples and situations

Post by huggle »

nothing lately but in the 80s I was fighting plans for a nuclear recycling plant the goverment wanted to build right on top of a groundwater lake from which thousands of people get their water. And in that particular spot the ground water stands 2 only feet below the surface - perfect for contaminating it.
The police used CS and CN gas against peaceful protesters, a journalist lost an eye when a cop hit him with a stick and an old lady got a heart attack when a helicopter flew an attack on her. It took 2 years but we won :)
Well, partially. They did build there but it's a factory for solar panels and they run a closed water circle and recycle every drop.

Last year someone made a movie about our protests. I haven't seen it yet, though. I fear it might be too fictional and have nothing to do with the truth.
LOL I just discovered that our fight actually has an English wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wackersdo ... sing_plant

This pic shows best wat it was like: peaceful demonstrants and without any provocation the police charges:
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Bill wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:30 am
So yeah this is me in Washington DC at the forum with some people from Congress. I was petitioning them to fund housing for the homeless..
That is an amazing speech and an amazing story. I'm very impressed at all you've accomplished. :yes:
huggle wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:59 pm
nothing lately but in the 80s I was fighting plans for a nuclear recycling plant the goverment wanted to build right on top of a groundwater lake from which thousands of people get their water.
That's also very impressive. Congratulations on a successful campaign. :yes: Looks like there were a few documentaries made.....

I've never been to Washington or marched in a protest, unfortunately. I guess my activism is more of a day to day thing, advocating for people and helping people. I worked in a couple of inner city hospitals for twenty-two years, and was involved in helping the poor and the homeless, the girls at a shelter for pregnant teens, and other things, like creating a doula program for pregnant women without a good support system and writing grants to recruit minorities into the midwifery program, and stuff like that.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Bill
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Bill »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 pm
Bill wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:30 am
That is an amazing speech and an amazing story. I'm very impressed at all you've accomplished. :yes:
huggle wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:59 pm
nothing lately but in the 80s I was fighting plans for a nuclear recycling plant the goverment wanted to build right on top of a groundwater lake from which thousands of people get their water.
That's also very impressive. Congratulations on a successful campaign. :yes: Looks like there were a few documentaries made.....

I've never been to Washington or marched in a protest, unfortunately. I guess my activism is more of a day to day thing, advocating for people and helping people. I worked in a couple of inner city hospitals for twenty-two years, and was involved in helping the poor and the homeless, the girls at a shelter for pregnant teens, and other things, like creating a doula program for pregnant women without a good support system and writing grants to recruit minorities into the midwifery program, and stuff like that.
thanks RJ --- it is a ruff life .. but that is why it is so rewarding ---

did I mention mmmmm Nope I should of posted with that = the congress voted for 3 billion in funding for housing that year// and increase to funding I forget how much of an increase but a lot.. I like to think it was all part of the group of us going there and .. telling it like it is.

I actually participated in an apartheid riot and went to jail.. for a bit. I guess.. mmmm it was right after leaving college on campus we had that riot that was in the news and all.. --- in 1989 a crazy time of it. we were also protesting lots of things at that time.. --- yelling stuff -- very intense days back then.. --- I was actually homeless during a section of that after getting out of jail and protesting the rent increases and all. that was hard. the streets are not very friendly at all.. --- and my state of mind was kind off kilt more so then usual --- what we were protesting was getting confusing and right now seems all blurred together I went to rehab for the end of that year,, after a nyc I guess party? IDK memories were not good. I will look it up right?

yeah i was in nyc in 1989 sept 1 a few days before going to rehab.. I remember it was my last time .. of using -- I thought? this was the papers front page that day // the protests were big and kinda everywhere it seemed but --- of course that could of just been my perspective on it.

I spent that weekend at a spot on st marks place.. and was seemingly all over and about --- I still have (maybe) my sketch pad from the time. you know I was just always an artist .
Thank you
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Bill wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:20 am
did I mention mmmmm Nope I should of posted with that = the congress voted for 3 billion in funding for housing that year// and increase to funding I forget how much of an increase but a lot.. I like to think it was all part of the group of us going there and .. telling it like it is.
That's great. Activism pays off. :yes:
I actually participated in an apartheid riot and went to jail.. for a bit.
Okay, you've certainly paid your dues. :thumbsup: :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape: