Life on Earth

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Life on Earth

Post by Orpheus »

Any way you slice it, this species is completely cray-cray: A Pet Crayfish Can Clone Itself, and It's Spreading Around the World

Here's what disappoints me about this (and all other) coverage: they're crayfish; they're overrunning Europe -- and NO ONE HAS REPORTED IF THESE ONES ARE TASTY!
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Re: Life on Earth

Post by Orpheus »

They call it a Kingfisher for a reason.
Capture.JPG
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Marbled crayfish (Procambarus fallax f. virginalis - pretty animals) have fortunately not yet spread to my district. Other Procambarus species have, though, and cause a huge problem since they carry the crayfish plague, a fungus that kills native European species while the invasive American ones are immune. Whole rivers can die out within a couple of days. That's why we always carry 2 sets of boots and gloves when we sample: one is soaking in desinfectant while we wear the freshly desinfected ones; when we switch between streams, we also switch boots and gloves
We try to gradually solve the problem by simply eating the invaders. If a marbled one turns up, she'll land on someone's plate pretty quickly. I fancy they might be tasty with a little chervil.

In Germany, we call Kingfishers Eisvögel (ice birds) because of the blue sheen of their feathers. It's the same colour you sometimes find in glaciers:

My favourite animal is the Short-Eared Elephant Shrew. IMHO it's the living proof that evolution has a sense of humour. This little chap is Rudi, one of the two shrews I adopted at the local zoo :)
(It's a small zoo in urgent need of funds and therefore many people adopted animals. For example, the beavers have been adopted by a dentist, the storks by a group of midwives, a cross-eyed Meerkat was adopted by an ophthalmologist and the penguins by the workcrew of the ice hockey stadium while the team itself (Straubing Ice Tigers) adopted two Siberian tigers :D)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Orpheus wrote:Any way you slice it, this species is completely cray-cray: A Pet Crayfish Can Clone Itself, and It's Spreading Around the World
This is a job for... Norton's AntiCrayfish!
huggle wrote:We try to gradually solve the problem by simply eating the invaders.
Sort an anti-V situation. That begs to become a TV series.
For example, the beavers have been adopted by a dentist, the storks by a group of midwives, a cross-eyed Meerkat was adopted by an ophthalmologist and the penguins by the workcrew of the ice hockey stadium while the team itself (Straubing Ice Tigers) adopted two Siberian tigers :D
That's great. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

RJDiogenes wrote:
huggle wrote:We try to gradually solve the problem by simply eating the invaders.
Sort an anti-V situation. That begs to become a TV series.
Little known fact: Soylent Green is people, but Martian people. They taste/smell like super-chocolate. "War of the Worlds" was a coverup for what really happened at Grover's MIll.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

We're on the verge of a blockbuster here. To Serve Little Green Men. :yum:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

coincidentially, I learned today that these parthenogenetic crayfish are now being sought by scientists in Heidelberg - they hope to use them for cancer studies. The crayfish apparently are a genetically purer clone than clone mice (and cheaper).
sorry - the article is available only in German: http://www.br.de/themen/wissen/marmorkr ... n-100.html
Only the last paragraph deals with the medical research. It's not very informative and was written by a layperson. It says:
Reaserching the marbled crayfish might offer a key to understanding tumors says Mr Lyko who leads the dept for epigenetics of the German Cancer Research Center. Like in these crayfish, the cells in a tumor have their origin in just one single cell. By multiplication it spreads rapidly. Exactly how this process works and what this implies regarding the growth of a tumor is not yet known. Furthermore, the scientists intend to find out what interplay between a clonal system - like the marbled crayfish - and its surroundings takes place. The crayfish might help in the development of a model for tumor growth.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

So the Earth is in danger of dying from Stage IV Crayfish? :unsure:

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

Amusingly, the word for both cancer and crabs in German is "Krebs", IIRC.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Those are very different diagnoses here. :lol:

Bill
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Bill »

some cloud images.. life on earth=

Thank you
Bill
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Bill »

IDK I am putting images of pretty parts of earth and effects and stuff here is that oK? just like things like this===

yes or no?
Thank you
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Beautiful pictures are always a "yes." :yes: