2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: 2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Post by Lupine »

^No chance of eliminating the Electoral College though until Republicans start losing to it.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I don't think either party would go for a change that will eliminate the two-party system. It's got to go directly on the ballot.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 pm
I don't think either party would go for a change that will eliminate the two-party system. It's got to go directly on the ballot.
Go back to the original Constitutional rules wherein the person with the most votes is President and the next is Vice President. That goes with my other belief the 17th Amendment needs to be repealed. Both combinations will return us to the days where parties couldn't angle for control of the different branches of the Government, people would actually lead, and compromise occurred quite often.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :lol: I haven't read any of Dave Barry's stuff in ages.

Meanwhile, it looks like Australia is in the same boat as we are. :australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shBwf97O7zk
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:49 pm
Go back to the original Constitutional rules wherein the person with the most votes is President and the next is Vice President.
Except that the Vice President is basically just a spare tire in case the actual President goes flat. Plus which, it would reduce the likelihood of impeaching a president to zero, because then it actually would be a coup, kind of.
That goes with my other belief the 17th Amendment needs to be repealed. Both combinations will return us to the days where parties couldn't angle for control of the different branches of the Government, people would actually lead, and compromise occurred quite often.
It would guarantee that whatever party controlled the State legislature also represented the State in Congress. It would also put more power in the hands of corrupt politicians, with no oversight. Eliminating the Electoral College and instituting ranked voting would put more power in the hands of the people. Which, granted, is only better in principle, but still.
It's impossible to write parody anymore. Reality now supersedes it. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:42 pm
^ :lol: I haven't read any of Dave Barry's stuff in ages.
I honestly thought he was dead.
Meanwhile, it looks like Australia is in the same boat as we are. :australia:
The Titanic. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

:closed: