Science Tidbits #5

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Science Tidbits #5

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's hard to tell how the tidal locking would affect the environment. The only tidally locked world we know about it Venus, and that has a runaway greenhouse effect. An Earth-like world with a transparent atmosphere and massive oceans may be better able to distribute the heat, although it would likely have monstrous winds. But that's why I wonder about the gas giant in the middle orbit. Given the great disparity in their masses and the frequent conjunctions, the giant's gravity may keep the planet spinning.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Actually Venus isn't tidally locked, but it's rotation is very slow. Whether that has anything to due with its current condition is an open question.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Now it's not tidally locked? First Mercury was locked and Venus wasn't, and then it was the other way around. I just can't keep up. :lol:

I'd love to know if either the slow rotation (or tidal lock) or the lack of a satellite has anything to do with runaway greenhouse effect.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

It's actually rather hard to study planets closer to the sun than us. Venus especially since it's covered in clouds. The slow rotation and lack of a moon might play a role in it's current state. Personally I've wondered if it got hit by something big in the past, altering it's rotation.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Could be. That happened to us, so it could have happened to Venus, too, only with the opposite result.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Doesn't having a nearby gas giant come in handy for steering comets and asteroids away? I think I heard somewhere that Jupiter serves this function for us.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Yeah that's one of the theories out there, along with it steering comets here to give us water. Sometimes both theories are lumped together. But I refer to those as "Miracle Theories"- IE, "We wouldn't be here except for (fill in the blank)".
The Jeans-Jefferys hypothesis was a variation of a Miracle Theory as was the notion that only singular stars (like the Sun, thus rare) could have planets.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, I find the Mediocrity Principle much more believable than Miracle Theories. I don't really buy into any theory that has Jupiter contributing heavily to life on Earth. I think there's a much more basic set of elements involved.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And in the case of exo-planets the Mediocrity Principle has been borne out.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yup, wherever dirtballs can clump together, they will. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And ironically we have another article that takes a hot at Jupiter.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's interesting, because I never knew there was such a demarcation and that the outer system was more rich in organics-- kind of ironic, since all the organic beings that we know of are down here. I wonder how, or if, things would be different if the inner system had also been rich in organics. Would life on Earth have evolved more quickly or more robustly? Would life have had a better chance on Mars or Venus, and shaped their environments differently? Very interesting.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Apparently a second planet has been found orbit Proxima Centauri (they think)
However it does not look like a vacation spot. :cold:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ That link is dead, but it's even dead when I find it on Google, so they must have removed the page for some reason. Maybe the denizens of Proxima C don't want to be found! :afraid:

Anyway, I did see it on CNN today. The headline said "Earthlike," but it didn't sound very Earthlike to me, although I can see that it has the potential to be life bearing. It's very interesting that both of Proxima's planets could have life of some kind. Makes for a very tempting target.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Odd, because I just clicked the link and it worked. :conf: