LinkedIn

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
Gary
Senator
Senator

LinkedIn

Post by Gary »

Well, I broke down and created a profile on LinkedIn. The hope is that I can generate interest in a recruiter or someone who may find me as a match for their organization. A friend told me I almost have "too much" content in my descriptions, while I feel they need to be polished for better presentation. If anyone would like to assist, please take a look.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: LinkedIn

Post by scottydog »

Wow, you have an impressive work record. Your LinkedIn profile looks great to me. I don't see a problem with too much content at all.

Would it be helpful for me to endorse your skills (e.g., COBOL, etc)? I'm a psychologist so I don't know if my endorsement means anything, but I'm happy to do it if you like.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I can, too. I'm on LinkedIn, even if I haven't been there in probably more than a year. Are there any advantages to using it, other than job hunting?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Thank you for the kind words and the offer to endorse me; however, I would not feel comfortable asking for an endorsement from someone who is not familiar with my work. I'm my own worst critic, and in my mind I don't see my resume as very impressive. I think I'll review the profiles of people I know for an idea to better present myself.

I added the rest of my work history and formatted it a bit better. That should help when I circle back for my most recent work experience.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Good job, and good luck to you!
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I've tweaked my profile a bit more, should anyone care to comment/critique.
Mirah
Pleb
Pleb

Post by Mirah »

We are using LinkedIn to recruit volunteers, but have it set up as a profile. It is too expensive to have a business profile. We did recruit one person thus far and have connected with several colleges in the area as a result.

I've always seen LinkedIn as a place for people to look rather than other social media places to see a person's qualifications. I will be using it at the end of the summer when my commitment is up.

P.S. I think having a substantial amount of information on a person's profile on LinkedIn is good.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I seldom go to LinkedIn at all, usually just to respond to a friend request or whatever they call it. I wonder if I could use it to network if I ever decide to do a Kickstarter.

That's a pretty impressive resume, Gary. Do you get a lot of inquiries from places who are looking for IT people?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm
I seldom go to LinkedIn at all, usually just to respond to a friend request or whatever they call it. I wonder if I could use it to network if I ever decide to do a Kickstarter.

That's a pretty impressive resume, Gary. Do you get a lot of inquiries from places who are looking for IT people?
I found this thread yesterday and felt bad for never having responded to your inquiry. The only inquiries I get are from recruiters who "want to join my network". In other words, pests & leaches who want to spam me with (so-called) opportunities or else try to use me as a means to help them recruit someone I may know. I sometimes get hit with e-mails by a recruiter who sends a job listing and requests I send a list of people I know who may be qualified. Yeah, I'll get right on that, sport. I have two recruiters who I trust and are part of my network. They're the only people I will deal with should I decide on a job change. Meanwhile, I need to clean up my profile since I was promoted back in July.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:59 pm
I found this thread yesterday and felt bad for never having responded to your inquiry.
That's okay. I've missed a few things myself.
The only inquiries I get are from recruiters who "want to join my network". In other words, pests & leaches who want to spam me with (so-called) opportunities or else try to use me as a means to help them recruit someone I may know. I sometimes get hit with e-mails by a recruiter who sends a job listing and requests I send a list of people I know who may be qualified. Yeah, I'll get right on that, sport. I have two recruiters who I trust and are part of my network. They're the only people I will deal with should I decide on a job change. Meanwhile, I need to clean up my profile since I was promoted back in July.
I had a feeling that it was probably not as useful as they pretend it is. :lol: