Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Post by scottydog »

I'll watch this episode either tonight, if I can stay up a bit longer, or tomorrow for sure. Please don't tell me to hurry up :lol:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Again, I really liked the episode, and I'm getting the feeling that despite any flaws or issues in an episode, if it features Patrick Stewart as Jean Luc Picard, and he has intelligent and thoughtful things to say, then the episode works for me. Stewart is that powerful and magnetic as an actor. And I do give the writers credit for handling his character and his developmental place in life extremely well.

I totally agree that the reunion with Will and Deanna was handled beautifully. They're in retirement now, so I can easily buy into the idea that they'd find some idyllic planet on which to settle down and raise a family. That damn pizza he was making made me hungry the entire episode, the interspersed puking scenes notwithstanding.

For me, the big issue was Hugh's death, which is highly unfortunate and puzzling. His character had a nice history and a promising future, so I don't know what the point was other than to show us that life is short and The Modern TV Series dare not avoid killing off a main character now and then.

Soji looks like she's coming around to trusting Picard et al. We'll see. I'm very curious what becomes of her -- and if her sister is somehow still alive.

I'm glad they gave us Ages's backstory so that we can see the genesis of her killing of Bruce Maddox. She's not entirely evil, just brainwashed. I get the sense that a Romulan mind-meld is not entirely the same as a Vulcan one and can be used for planting memories for nefarious purposes. Not sure how Agnes assumed that her death would turn off the transponders. Do you suppose she'll live and be a long-term character? I kind of hope so because deep down I think she's smart and likeable if given a chance.

I'm also falling in love the the show's theme music. It's both beautiful and haunting.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 pm
Again, I really liked the episode, and I'm getting the feeling that despite any flaws or issues in an episode, if it features Patrick Stewart as Jean Luc Picard, and he has intelligent and thoughtful things to say, then the episode works for me.
It may come down to that for me for the series. As long as they don't directly tie it to JJ Trek or Discovery.
They're in retirement now, so I can easily buy into the idea that they'd find some idyllic planet on which to settle down and raise a family.
Maybe it actually was a place to settle down. The way he talked about it made me think it was a place like Lourdes or Medjugorje, only real.
For me, the big issue was Hugh's death, which is highly unfortunate and puzzling.
Hopefully his nanoprobes will heal him, but I doubt it.
I get the sense that a Romulan mind-meld is not entirely the same as a Vulcan one and can be used for planting memories for nefarious purposes.
I don't think Romulans can mind meld. I think she's a Vulcan. And there is a precedent for Vulcans using mind melds for the purpose of mind control in Sybok (and actually Spock exercised a little mind control as well, in "The Omega Glory").
Not sure how Agnes assumed that her death would turn off the transponders.
I think I got that wrong. Somebody at TrekBBS said that the injection was intended to destroy the implant, and her likely death was just a side effect-- so she was more of a martyr than a suicide-- and I think that's right.
Do you suppose she'll live and be a long-term character? I kind of hope so because deep down I think she's smart and likeable if given a chance.
Well, my wishes for her death are less fervent after this episode.
I'm also falling in love the the show's theme music. It's both beautiful and haunting.
I hate that title sequence. I avoid paying attention to it. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:25 am
I don't think Romulans can mind meld. I think she's a Vulcan. And there is a precedent for Vulcans using mind melds for the purpose of mind control in Sybok (and actually Spock exercised a little mind control as well, in "The Omega Glory").
Interesting. In terms of appearance, how does one distinguish a Vulcan from a Romulan?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Not sure how Agnes assumed that her death would turn off the transponders.
I think I got that wrong. Somebody at TrekBBS said that the injection was intended to destroy the implant, and her likely death was just a side effect-- so she was more of a martyr than a suicide-- and I think that's right.
Ahh, that makes sense :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I hate that title sequence. I avoid paying attention to it. :lol:
The images and visuals in the title sequence are weird and dumb. But the music is totally captivating.

I need to get onto Trekbbs to see what others are saying. Is the overall opinion of the series positive there?
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Attachments
84211130_1610337542440127_3899489477638225920_o.jpg
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Now that's more like it, CBS. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Okay, we got some interesting revelations in this episode. I'm not entirely sure I'm following everything, but it seems like once upon a time there was a civilization that was destroyed by some sort of hyperintelligence who polices the galaxy looking for societies who develop AI and obliterates them for unknown reasons. Some Romulans came upon the ruins of this civilization and had fear and paranoia and violent CGI implanted in their noggins by an alien mind implanter. They then became the Jack Flash, a cult dedicated to the eradication of AI, not necessarily because they dislike AI, although the Rommie Twins sure seem to, but because they want the policing hyperintelligence to not come and obliterate them. Am I close? Anyway, it's an interesting SF idea on a grand scale, and it kind of reminds me of the Monolith builders in Clarke's Odyssey series-- who, by the way, were able to make stars go supernova when they wanted to obliterate someone.

Aside from that, this episode had lots of great character stuff going on. Rios finally got his turn in the spotlight and we found out the whole story behind that tragedy he alluded to a while back. And a dark story it was, involving an encounter with yet another version of Soji and an execution ordered by Commodore Oh, leading to his ultimate suicide-- for which Rios carries some guilt, because he gave him a hard time. This ties in to the AI plotline, but raises more questions. How did Oh recognize the other Soji? Who was with the other Soji? Was he an AI, too? Why did he have a Hippie name? Did Maddox build him as well as the Soji series? Or did Maddox find a planet of AIs who took him in and custom built androids for him? Does this android planet have any connection to other android-related planets that we've seen, like Mudd's planet or Roger Korby's planet?

We also got some great scenes featuring Rios' holographic avatars. Since the beginning, this multiple-hologram idea has been one of my favorite elements of the show, one of the things that really felt the most Trekkish, so I loved them getting the spotlight. Especially when they were all in the same room and Raffi was trying to ply them for information.

And it looks like Soji has been activated by events in this episode and really wants to go home, and became the latest in a long line of androids to commandeer a starship and take it to-- well, nowhere, because Rios outsmarted her with his lullaby lockout. We've now gotten glimpses into what made both Raffi and Rios formidable Starfleet officers before they became broken, and why they deserve to be on Picard's crew.

Oh, yeah, Picard is a part of this show, too, and he was in top form here. Stern and dismayed with an outed Agnes, fatherly and persuasive with Soji (who told him that Data loved him), collegial with his fellow officer Rios, assertive yet open minded with Raffi-- and he convinced Clancy to send the fleet, even if she did tell him to shut the fuck up again. :lol: And we got a couple of those classic Picard speeches about optimism and fighting back against fear that we love him for. In particular, his acknowledgement that the Federation did fail its own values by falling into Oh's trap of fear-mongering is the message for the current generation that this show needs to send to validate this Dark Federation storyline.

And meanwhile, back on the cube, Seven came to the rescue and got a big hug from Elfwich. He's such a lovable little berserker. But my favorite moment, of course, was Seven becoming the Borg Queen for a minute. I once had an idea for a mixed-cast grand finale for 24th century Trek that involved Seven assimilating the Queen and taking over as a benign leader, ultimately disbanding the Collective. This wasn't quite that yet, but it kind of plants the seed of that possibility.

All in all, this episode was packed with great character moments and interesting plot developments and Trekkish themes-- I'd say it's easily the best episode of the series yet.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Another really good episode. Lots of great backstory about why the Romulans are so intent on destroying all synths. That unique 8-star system is fascinating. I hope we learn more about its origins.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 am
We also got some great scenes featuring Rios' holographic avatars. Since the beginning, this multiple-hologram idea has been one of my favorite elements of the show, one of the things that really felt the most Trekkish, so I loved them getting the spotlight. Especially when they were all in the same room and Raffi was trying to ply them for information.
Yes indeed, these EHs are fabulous, entertaining, and an innovative part of Trek lore now. I love all their various accents, not to mention subtle differences among them in hairstyle and amount of grey in the beard.
RJDiogenes wrote:
We've now gotten glimpses into what made both Raffi and Rios formidable Starfleet officers before they became broken, and why they deserve to be on Picard's crew.
Exactly right. I was very impressed by Raffi's ability to put so many pieces of the puzzle together. Not drinking alcohol helps her think more clearly.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Oh, yeah, Picard is a part of this show, too, and he was in top form here. Stern and dismayed with an outed Agnes, fatherly and persuasive with Soji (who told him that Data loved him), collegial with his fellow officer Rios, assertive yet open minded with Raffi-- and he convinced Clancy to send the fleet, even if she did tell him to shut the fuck up again. :lol: And we got a couple of those classic Picard speeches about optimism and fighting back against fear that we love him for.
This optimism, wisdom, and hope for the future all make this series feel like Trek and most in alignment with Roddenberry's vision. :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes wrote:
All in all, this episode was packed with great character moments and interesting plot developments and Trekkish themes-- I'd say it's easily the best episode of the series yet.
I agree. I"ve enjoyed every single episode and this one stood out especially. Isn't it remarkable how they've gotten this series right in so many ways that they got Discovery wrong?
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Okay, we got some interesting revelations in this episode. I'm not entirely sure I'm following everything, but it seems like once upon a time there was a civilization that was destroyed by some sort of hyperintelligence who polices the galaxy looking for societies who develop AI and obliterates them for unknown reasons. Some Romulans came upon the ruins of this civilization and had fear and paranoia and violent CGI implanted in their noggins by an alien mind implanter.
Does it tie into Control from Discovery? I've been reading some speculation the shows would cross-over.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:57 am
That unique 8-star system is fascinating. I hope we learn more about its origins.
Yes, I love that idea because it reminds me of a story I wrote. :lol:
Yes indeed, these EHs are fabulous, entertaining, and an innovative part of Trek lore now. I love all their various accents, not to mention subtle differences among them in hairstyle and amount of grey in the beard.
The actor is really very good.
This optimism, wisdom, and hope for the future all make this series feel like Trek and most in alignment with Roddenberry's vision. :thumbsup:
Let's hope they can keep it up.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:54 pm
Does it tie into Control from Discovery? I've been reading some speculation the shows would cross-over.
According to most people who watch both shows, it does not. I hope that's true.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:54 pm
I've been reading some speculation the shows would cross-over.
They don't take place in the same time period; in fact, it's not even close. Plus the two shows are so vastly different in style and production, it would be like HeeHaw combining with Hill Street Blue. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:26 pm
Yes, I love that idea because it reminds me of a story I wrote. :lol:
Damn, you should have been a television writer!
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:38 am
They don't take place in the same time period; in fact, it's not even close. Plus the two shows are so vastly different in style and production, it would be like HeeHaw combining with Hill Street Blue. :lol:
That sounds like a great idea! :writing:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Hee-Haw Street Blues. :tv:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Hollywood writers should seriously consider lurking in our forums. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

They should hire us! :twocents: