Questions Only VI: How Much Is Too Much?

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Questions Only VI: How Much Is Too Much?

Post by RJDiogenes »

Do you think the universe is conscious and makes decisions about how things work?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

No. But it's interesting to metaphorically think of the universe as a living being that is born (the big bang), grows, gives birth to planets and people, etc.

Would you ever be willing to live on Mars?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I'm a little old to be a frontiersman. It would depend on the living conditions and what I could bring. I'd be pretty reluctant to leave Massachusetts or New England.

Would you be willing to live in an orbital space habitat, such as an O'Neill Colony?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I would say that an O'Neill cylinder would be a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there :lol:

Same with Mars. I'd come visit a friend there for a few days, but that's about it. Same with the moon or a space station. Now if they ever find an Earth-like planet that can be reached fairly quickly and is goldy-locks-zone habitable, I'd be happy to live there -- assuming there is chocolate :drool:

Have they figured out yet how much different a planet's gravity from earth can be to sustain healthy human life? I'm guessing a range of 80% to 120%. Maybe less gravity is better than more gravity, so perhaps the sustainable range is more like 70% to 100%.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:50 pm
I would say that an O'Neill cylinder would be a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there :lol:
That would be my preferred habitat.
Same with Mars. I'd come visit a friend there for a few days, but that's about it. Same with the moon or a space station. Now if they ever find an Earth-like planet that can be reached fairly quickly and is goldy-locks-zone habitable, I'd be happy to live there -- assuming there is chocolate :drool:
The thing about the Moon or Mars or a space habitat is that the gravity would be significantly lower-- so it would be a great place to retire, because stress would be so much lower.
Have they figured out yet how much different a planet's gravity from earth can be to sustain healthy human life? I'm guessing a range of 80% to 120%. Maybe less gravity is better than more gravity, so perhaps the sustainable range is more like 70% to 100%.
I don't really know, but 80%-120% sounds like a reasonable guess.

Would you be willing to go into cryogenic sleep for a thousand years to get to the chocolate-filled paradise of Planet Goldilocks?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Yes. Because that thousand years will pass in the blink of an eye. Unless of course some cataclysmic event awakens me during year 758 or cuts off my air supply or something. I'd be willing to take that chance

Would you do it?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

If the technology were proven and the destination was worth it, I sure would.

Would you want to achieve immortality by being transferred into an android body, like Picard was?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I'm torn. Part of me would be okay with that, but another part of me thinks that death is an essential part of life. Old ideas need to die so that newer ideas can replace them.

What about you?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oh, I'd do it in a New York second. :lol:

Don't you think that death should be cured, like any other fatal malady?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

No, death is essential. How else can evolution occur? New adaptations are needed for life to progress.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

But don't parents co-exist with children, and progenitor species co-exist with progeny species?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

True, but 200 years from now, when you should be dead, your robotic self would be contaminating your descendants with your antiquated views.

Did I just insult you? :lol:

You know what I mean, I hope. Your views are NOT antiquated, by today's standards. But in 200 years they will be. Don't they need to go away? :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Doesn't that presume constant progress? Aren't the beliefs of the current generation destructive and in need of correction?

More importantly, are my 21st-century views enough to sentence me to death?!?!

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

:lol:

Not a death sentence, just a general truth that old ideas need to give way to new ones.

Progress is definitely not constant. Why do you suppose it zigs and zags?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Don't people generally blunder around nearsightedly in the darkness of the universe?