Infirmary Thread #19: Roll Up Your Sleeve

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

jgc
Senator
Senator

Re: Infirmary Thread #19: Roll Up Your Sleeve

Post by jgc »

Oh, my gosh. This back pain has boiled down to a pinched sciatic nerve. Ouch. It's the fourth day, and overall it feels better. The pain is concentrated in my lower right back, the right hip, and down the right leg. Yup - sciatica. So I'll concentrate the heat there.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:58 am
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:58 pm
Anything in front of your nose and mouth impedes breathing. There's a difference between difficulty breathing and not getting enough oxygen. :lol:
For me, the mask is uncomfortable but I'm willing to tolerate the discomfort for the greater good.
Try different kinds of masks. Some are more comfortable than others. As for breathing I've unloaded loads of wood with no troubles.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

jgc wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:16 pm
Oh, my gosh. This back pain has boiled down to a pinched sciatic nerve. Ouch. It's the fourth day, and overall it feels better. The pain is concentrated in my lower right back, the right hip, and down the right leg. Yup - sciatica. So I'll concentrate the heat there.
Ouch. I hope you're feeling better. Is this something you can call your doctor about?
Lupine wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:12 pm
Try different kinds of masks. Some are more comfortable than others. As for breathing I've unloaded loads of wood with no troubles.
One problem is that I'm old. :lol: You might be right about the mask type, though. My custom Stooges mask may be thicker than those paper kind. The whole time I was on planes or in airports I was breathing like I had run a marathon.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

jgc wrote:
Ughh, I had sciatica for months and it was no fun. For me, the pain wasn't in the back but in the entire right legs, especially the butt and thigh. The good news is that sciatica usually resolves itself. It just takes time.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

I feel like I was run over by a truck! My lower joints are screaming. 1 weekend down, 6 more to go.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Ouch. You mean six more weekends at Cedar Point?

Today I have heartburn. The week must be catching up with me. Maybe I should stick to Cream of Wheat or something for a couple of days.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Cayla wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:01 pm
I feel like I was run over by a truck! My lower joints are screaming. 1 weekend down, 6 more to go.
Yikes. I hope you feel better.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:56 pm
Today I have heartburn. The week must be catching up with me. Maybe I should stick to Cream of Wheat or something for a couple of days.
Could Applebees be to blame? Maybe Apple be pouring acid into your stomach.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Very likely. My eating habits changed significantly for about a week. I think I need to give my tummy a rest before using my next coupon. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ Zantac has become a good friend of mine :lol:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

RJ, yes six more weekends at Cedar Point.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

jgc wrote:
ouch. :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:14 pm
One problem is that I'm old. :lol: You might be right about the mask type, though. My custom Stooges mask may be thicker than those paper kind. The whole time I was on planes or in airports I was breathing like I had run a marathon.
"Old". :no: You are younger than I am, and I have no trouble wearing a mask. Okay, it's not comfortable, but I can breathe, ya goofy grape. :lol: I agree with Lupine, it's probably the type of mask you have.
Cayla wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:01 pm
By the time it's done, you'll feel fine. Of course. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:42 pm
^^ Zantac has become a good friend of mine :lol:
Watch that stuff. It eats away at your bones. I was put on it, and took it daily for years. As of this month, I haven't taken it in a year. I still get heartburn, but I raised the head of my bed, if that is not enough, I lay on my back or my left side, and if I get a burning feeling while doing chores, etc..., I limit bending over.

Now, me (and Cali):

Have to set up a vet appointment for Cali. She's been breathing hard, so I want to get her checked. Might take Merc and Ory to be fixed, or only one of them since we only have two cat carriers, and I don't want to die. :Ahhh:

Last week was my RA appointment. I hate the drive, 75 miles from here to there, then back again. Okay when it's nice out, a horror when it's snowing or raining or since the ac doesn't work, really hot out. Of course it was 90 that day. Made it in time, despite an unknown detour, and having to call my son to give me roads/streets to look for. Got in to see the doctor, told her about my fall back in May and how my neck is hurting again, so she decided on x-rays. Aside from that, blood draw and headed for home.
The next day I get a call from her nurse, who tells me that it looks like my wrist is possibly out of joint. I laugh, "You don't say." then ask how she could tell (it's got a lot of damage), and the nurse chuckles. :lol:
Friday Dr. Friedrich's office called to set up an appointment for him to look at my wrist, again. He x-rayed it years ago and decided there were only two options, one which I vetoed immediately, the other is to replace the wrist. I'd be on my way to becoming the bionic woman! :D He is always busy, so that is not until November that I see him.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:47 pm
I don't think I realized that you're not vaccinated. Is there a problem with the supply in that area? What are the pandemic numbers like?
scottydog wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:40 am
You should be able to get the vaccine at any drug store or pharmacy -- and it's free!
Lupine wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:16 pm
Me neither. :eek: I thought everyone who wanted one had one by now. I'm even planning on getting my aunt a booster the moment it becomes available. A friend of mine has already gotten the booster.
The vaccines were here, then they were out, at first they took people by appointment because there were too many booked to fit in any walk ins, so we missed the first round, then the second, then kind of let it go because it was so difficult to get in before they would run out. Small town living. :)

Then last Friday we got our shots. We were told what to look for (I've had allergic reactions to codeine, so I already knew [forgot to note this on my sheet, and I forgot my twine allergy]).
We left there and made a quick trip home for son to wash his hands (I used alcohol on my hands) and grab the drill, while I sat in the car. Just before he came out of the house, I felt it, like a pressure inching across my lung. By the time we were on the road to the farm, my right lung felt like it was being crushed, like I couldn't breathe, but I was breathing. It just felt like I had to work hard, breath deeper to get air. As I turned the car into the drive, I told my son what was happening, and told him how fascinating it was, and how it wasn't concerning, just strange. We didn't get to do more than cover the dirt I had dug up (trying to find tiny bulbs), because it started to rain. It didn't help that I was occupied with breathing. So strange, no trouble breathing, but it sure felt like it. Anyway, gave up and went home. Once home, I fixed a bowl of the taco rice that was now ready, and after a few more minutes, started feeling better. By this point, it'd been at least 45 minutes to an hour since the shot. Side note, I went to get a little more of the rice and found it decimated! Son had eaten 4 bowlfuls! :lol:
After I finished eating, I called and told the pharmacist what happened. He said he'd have to keep me there with the second shot. My son is saying no second shot, I'm not sure and I can't find only but one reference to a reaction like mine. That lady has asthma, had tingling sensation, etc..., so in her case they said she should not have the second shot. I have three weeks to find an answer, or just take a chance.
Update: Yesterday I noticed my scalp felt itchy, today it is driving me nuts. Plus, I now have a small rash on my chest. It kind of reminds me of my allergic reaction to twine (the breathing problem reminded me of my reaction to codeine), so I'm guessing it's the vaccine, something in it is slowly taking me down. :lol: I figure I'll call my Rheumatologist tomorrow, see what she says, or if she can find out what I should do.

omg! my scalp is going to drive me insane!!! :lol:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^ It's really amazing to hear of all the variations in the reactions to the Covid shot. These individual differences really run the gamut from no reaction at all to severe reaction. I'm glad you'll check with your doctor to see what she says.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Elara, it sounds to me, that you had an allergic reaction to the shot. I would definitely consult with a physician, if you should receive a second dose.

I received my flu vaccine yesterday.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Elara wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:02 am
"Old". :no: You are younger than I am, and I have no trouble wearing a mask. Okay, it's not comfortable, but I can breathe, ya goofy grape. :lol:
You also get more exercise in a day than I've had in my entire life. :lol:
I agree with Lupine, it's probably the type of mask you have.
I think that's true, but I like the message my Three Stooges mask sends. :headbash:
He x-rayed it years ago and decided there were only two options, one which I vetoed immediately, the other is to replace the wrist. I'd be on my way to becoming the bionic woman! :D
That's what I tell my Mother to make her feel better about getting a hearing aid. :lol:
The vaccines were here, then they were out, at first they took people by appointment because there were too many booked to fit in any walk ins, so we missed the first round, then the second, then kind of let it go because it was so difficult to get in before they would run out. Small town living. :)
It's good that there was such a demand, anyway.
So strange, no trouble breathing, but it sure felt like it.
Sounds like a musculoskeletal thing, rather than a lung thing. Did it feel like tightness in your diaphragm?
I called and told the pharmacist what happened. He said he'd have to keep me there with the second shot. My son is saying no second shot, I'm not sure and I can't find only but one reference to a reaction like mine. That lady has asthma, had tingling sensation, etc..., so in her case they said she should not have the second shot. I have three weeks to find an answer, or just take a chance.
It's definitely a mild reaction, compared to what other people have, but it's also unusual and almost certainly allergic. Since the second shot usually prompts a greater response, the pharmacist is right that you should wait (they asked me to wait a half hour and I had no unusual reactions). But it's also a good idea to consult with whoever has the best knowledge of your allergy history, which is probably your PCP.
omg! my scalp is going to drive me insane!!! :lol:
Definitely an unusual reaction. :lol:

Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

Last Thursday we put a new tarp up on the girls' roof (horses). The old one ripped (I will be glad when we put a permanent roof up). Anyway, while trying to grab the tarp to pull down to my end, I decided to break a small branch that was in the way (derecho tree, still leaning). It was a bit tougher than I expected, so when it finally let go, I went backwards, stumbled a few steps, then went crashing to the ground. Lucky me, I landed on the chunk of an old iron sink that was laying there (it was used as a feeder til it broke, then laziness). I got up, brushed myself off and we finished the roof. Get home, take my bath and notice a bunch of blood smeared on my leg (dang, these scrub pants were a good investment!), cleaned up and saw the inch long gash in my leg and the beginnings of a nice sized bruise. Patched up and got dressed. :)

Other than that, have had some horrible migraines, like tonight. It's down to a dull ache, but it still hurts, and it's giving me a headache. :D
scottydog wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:44 am
^ It's really amazing to hear of all the variations in the reactions to the Covid shot. These individual differences really run the gamut from no reaction at all to severe reaction. I'm glad you'll check with your doctor to see what she says.
Cayla wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:04 am
Elara, it sounds to me, that you had an allergic reaction to the shot. I would definitely consult with a physician, if you should receive a second dose.
My primary doctor's nurse told me to ask the pharmacist. The pharmacist thinks it'll be fine. My Rheumatologist thinks I need to speak to an allergist, she feels I shouldn't just try a second shot without speaking to an allergist. With each of my allergies, the first time they happened, it was mostly mild, the second time was much worse, the third time was "this is not gonna happen again!". I'm not sure I even want to test the second time reaction.
I did get some Claritin (I've normally had Zyrtec, but pharmacist said they are the same) and finally got relief from the itching. Only took two doses, by the third day I was itch free. :)
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm
You also get more exercise in a day than I've had in my entire life. :lol:
:lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I think that's true, but I like the message my Three Stooges mask sends. :headbash:
The price we pay for being... different. ;)
RJDiogenes wrote:
That's what I tell my Mother to make her feel better about getting a hearing aid. :lol:
It's good that there was such a demand, anyway.
I tried hearing aids back in June. Had to return them, they were bte's and wouldn't stay put, and am about to try a different kind. I want to hear again!
Yeah, for the most part, people wore masks and got their covid shots. Not too many idiots here, I am glad to say.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sounds like a musculoskeletal thing, rather than a lung thing. Did it feel like tightness in your diaphragm?
Maybe? I could feel it move across my side... it felt like tightening, yes, like everything on my right was stiffening up. So, I guess more like my lung was being squeezed.
RJDiogenes wrote:
It's definitely a mild reaction, compared to what other people have, but it's also unusual and almost certainly allergic. Since the second shot usually prompts a greater response, the pharmacist is right that you should wait (they asked me to wait a half hour and I had no unusual reactions). But it's also a good idea to consult with whoever has the best knowledge of your allergy history, which is probably your PCP.
Unfortunately, my primary care doctor is somewhat lacking. It took her months to x-ray my back after I slipped down the steps and then she asked why we didn't do it when I came in after the fall. I know why, because she asked me what she could do to ease my mind. In my mind I was thinking: "I fell down the steps, I don't need my mind eased, I need my back checked." But instead I just looked at her and shrugged (painfully). Now she passed the buck to the pharmacist. I'm hoping she agrees to get me in with an allergist (no, I've never actually seen one for my allergies, I knew what to avoid :lol: ).
RJDiogenes wrote:
Definitely an unusual reaction. :lol:
I'm nothing if not unusual. :yes: