Check-in 116: noncototient CUBS livermorium

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Re: Check-in 116: noncototient CUBS livermorium

Post by Elara »

Well, shoot. Son wants to head out early this evening to do some work, so I'll post more later. It's full of interest, excitement and an injury... or maybe just an injury. :D
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:30 am
Wait... you know Ben Linus? :eek:
ummm... sure? Mike's IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0256237/
Oh, I see, yes Ben Linus. :lol: My mother always watched anything he was in because he grew up with my brother:
ENUPiIhXsAAqrS5.jpg
I have the same picture, so I just used Mike's (I haven't scanned mine, yet). He is the one in front with the name centered on him, and I'm 99% certain the blonde, butch hair cut kid right behind him (not the girl :lol: ), with the big goofy smile, is my brother. :D
RJDiogenes wrote:
Yes, that happened a lot. She would become angry or very sad, and occasionally violent as the dementia got worse. She's pretty good now that they have her on meds, but she still has angry days sometimes.
Yep. She got really mad at you one time. She made me promise not to tell, but I think now you need to know. She got mad and she wrote to me. Not you, but me. Why? Because you were too important to her to let you know that she was really mad at you. She never wanted to upset you and lose your friendship. Even as she goes deeper into dementia, I think you are the one person who will stay in her mind the longest. :)
RJDiogenes wrote:
It's terrible, even working with my VA contact. And it's even harder trying to do it from the other side of the country. None of these agencies or VA Departments seem to know what the other is doing.
Oh, believe me when I tell you they don't. They can be in the same office and not know what the other is doing. It will absolutely make you feel like you are losing your mind before you manage to complete any task. You will get off the phone some day and do whatever it takes to calm yourself. Years back, when dealing with my grandmother's stuff, after hours of phone calls, repeating myself over and over, I took a six mile walk. I just started walking, thinking, walking, thinking, etc... Luckily, because no cell phone back then, when I stopped, I was near a house and knew the owner. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:34 am
Good to see you, Elara! :hug:
Hi Scotty! :hello: :hug:
scottydog wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:34 am
My parents were avid square-dancers but The Wife and I have never done it. I agree that it looks like terrific fun!
You two should try it! I used to really enjoy it, though I doubt now I'd know my do-si from my do. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:23 pm
Welcome back, yourself! :hello: As for the ransom, talk to Cayla as it was probably all her fault.
Well, RJ says we need Hydrox, but I'd swear that would be a bribe for Scotty... maybe they were in cahoots for Hydrox! :lol:
jgc wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:23 pm
Well, Dennis's step-mom passed last evening. :( He's very upset. I think he was going to call Jenny a little later. I'm upset. Strange that I'm so upset about my ex-husband's wife passing. But, then again, not. She treated me like a sister - family. Jen treats me like family.
That's so sad. My condolences to you, Dennis and the family. :(
jgc wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:23 pm
When I was talking with Dennis last night, we agreed that Linda was one of a kind. Then I muttered something like "Too good for your father", which I immediately apologized for. But he said I had nothing to apologize for, as it was only the truth. Yeah, he loved his father, he just didn't like him a whole heck of a lot.
Sounds like my son. I have on rare occasion, said something nice about his father, but if I did that all the time, he would know I was making stuff up. He always tells me I can't hide the truth from him, he was there. :)
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:59 am
Crazy as it sounds, I've actually contemplated doing this. Not just for the extra cash, but for all butt-cracks I can photograph :camera:
My Mother actually took a part-time job at Hallmark and benefited greatly from the employee discount. But then she was fired for taking pictures of butt cracks.
This is what ya get when you skim. :eek:
Cayla wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:11 am
Yesterday, was a good day. Sue text me to tell me she had a bad day at work, and was drinking. I went over to her house to join her. :lol: I ended up getting tipsy, and told her all about Pastor Eric. She wasn't surprised. She said she always knew there was a connection between he and I, and that she always thought we would be good for each other.
It's never as much of a secret as we might think. :yes:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-in 116: noncototient CUBS livermorium

Post by Lupine »

I called in a water main break at around 10:00 today (not on my property luckily). And there still hasn't been anyone out to fix it. :whatever:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Elara wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:55 pm
ummm... sure? Mike's IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0256237/
Oh, I see, yes Ben Linus. :lol: My mother always watched anything he was in because he grew up with my brother:
That's fantastic. He was great on Lost. I guess you never watched it, but it was one of those shows that was fantastic except for the very last episode. :lol:
Yep. She got really mad at you one time. She made me promise not to tell, but I think now you need to know. She got mad and she wrote to me. Not you, but me. Why? Because you were too important to her to let you know that she was really mad at you. She never wanted to upset you and lose your friendship. Even as she goes deeper into dementia, I think you are the one person who will stay in her mind the longest. :)
Wow, that's amazing. :mellow: I'm very touched, and I'm grateful that you told me that much. Of course, now I'll always wonder what I did, but don't tell me if you promised not to. Obviously, it was unintentional. Also, it must have been a long time ago if she was still able to use email or PMs. Wow.
Oh, believe me when I tell you they don't. They can be in the same office and not know what the other is doing. It will absolutely make you feel like you are losing your mind before you manage to complete any task. You will get off the phone some day and do whatever it takes to calm yourself. Years back, when dealing with my grandmother's stuff, after hours of phone calls, repeating myself over and over, I took a six mile walk. I just started walking, thinking, walking, thinking, etc... Luckily, because no cell phone back then, when I stopped, I was near a house and knew the owner. :lol:
I had to deal with a lot of that when I was at Blue Cross, but nowhere is near the level of the VA. I try to explain this to people who want Medicare for All. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:59 am
Crazy as it sounds, I've actually contemplated doing this. Not just for the extra cash, but for all butt-cracks I can photograph :camera:
My Mother actually took a part-time job at Hallmark and benefited greatly from the employee discount. But then she was fired for taking pictures of butt cracks.
This is what ya get when you skim. :eek:
ReNext. There's no place like it. :lol: There is a follow-up post up there somewhere that is a more accurate reflection of reality. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:06 pm
I called in a water main break at around 10:00 today (not on my property luckily). And there still hasn't been anyone out to fix it. :whatever:
Yikes. Is it flooding the road?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Pulled the gas line from the dryer and capped it up in the attic. Need to do some measuring to figure out how I want to run across the attic and to the dryer properly. The route it has been using the last 10 years was a stop-gap measure. Need to run it properly so it's in a sealed wall cavity as I am now working to finish the laundry room. Tore down some more electrical items for copper. Need to get moving on all that as the 18th will be right around the corner. I've been hemming and hawing on selling my Mazda. I love the car, but I haven't driven it since last year and I start it occasionally to ensure the battery is charged. It needs new tires, and I didn't bother to renew the tag in September. One reason I'm leaning toward selling it is used car prices are very high (it has doubled in value since last year), plus I am betting I will be purchasing an electric vehicle within the next five years.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today was a fun day. Church was dull, but Greg and I had a good depressing conversation about getting old, and then I played 9-holes of golf with a guy named Raymond who was very friendly.
Gary wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:45 pm
I'm a pro at injuring myself, or do you not remember when I had to drive myself to the Urgent Care clinic when I sliced my finger this past winter? :lol:
Oh yes, I forgot. Is there still a scar on that finger?
Cayla wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:58 pm
I'll still work Hallow Weekends Saturday nights.
I'd love to see you in your Halloween costume :ghost:
Lupine wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:13 pm
Odds'n ends today.
Sounds like a standard issue day.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:43 pm
Just one day late and she acts like she's starved for affection. :lol:
Do you ever bring over some catnip? She might love it.
RJDiogenes wrote:
You enjoy the Infirmary Thread way too much. :lol:
Guilty as charged :lol: I don't want anyone too badly hurt, though. Just injured enough to be entertaining :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Do I get to be the first in the Hall of Fame? :lol:
You? You're an award-winning author. My claim to fame is finishing 6th in a pie-eating contest.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I got a glass of Sam Adams with lunch when I was out with my friend Jeff the other day, and I didn't even get halfway through it before I decided I felt a bit too tipsy. :lol:
Hmm, you're a lighter-weight than I am. Do you get dizzy after your second Hydrox cookie?
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
Good luck. How have things been going on the job?
i enjoy working with the clients and one of the other carers and one of the drivers...i tolerate working with the other 3 carers and other driver. i do wish we had a more organized office/managerial team, though - it would make things so much easier.i dont particulrly get on well with any of the staff in the office - 2 are pleasant to talk to but dont get anyting done and 1 is incomprehensible and a multi tasking nitwit and then there is the boss.....ugh!
I called in a water main break at around 10:00 today (not on my property luckily). And there still hasn't been anyone out to fix it.
sounds like our boss got your call
ahead today - unknown something with L. we would be going down the plot and emptying out, digging in, replacing the larger of the two compost bin s - but....yet again, its raining. so we might dodge showers and go for a walk or just have cocffee at hers and me go to collect crops later on.
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

I called the guy about our well, again. Calmly pointing out to him that it was 3 weeks past the week he said he'd be here. He said he'd be there at 8:30 the next morning. Yes! So, well is fixed, water is disgusting, and pipe leaks. Pretty sure the water is disgusting because it's still loosening up the gunk in the tank (getting a new tank), but this water is untreated and it normally stinks. This is why we are setting up a filtration system. And the leaking pipe will be fixed when he puts in the new tank... whenever that will be. :conf:

Here is a shot of them with one pipe pulled and hanging, the guy in the grey shirt is holding the end of the pipe:
Pulling the pump out.jpg
We don't have water running in the house, since we don't know if the faucets are good. Buying new ones this week.

Aside from that, I am now going through the boxes of Avon, sorting out what is no good, and boxing up the rest. Most of which I am taking to my brother's to let his wife and daughters go through it, see if they want anything (I am keeping a few items for myself). When they are done, I am taking what's left to the Community Clothes Closet. There will be a lot of eye make-up and colognes. The creams are just too old, so most of them have been tossed.
I managed to find the entire chess set (Avon) that Mother bought for my brother, and found some other things he might like, so it won't just be for the girls. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:46 pm
That's fantastic. He was great on Lost. I guess you never watched it, but it was one of those shows that was fantastic except for the very last episode. :lol:
Nope, never watched it. I always wondered how the heavy set guy stayed heavy? And I only got that from the few previews I saw. Of course, 2003 through 2007 I was working 3rd shift, so generally missed shows in the evening, that was nap time.
I posted the article I found in my mother's stuff, on Twitter, Mike's wife posted a birthday Tweet to him. I got more like and retweets than I've ever gotten, which isn't difficult since I don't generally get likes and retweets. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wow, that's amazing. :mellow: I'm very touched, and I'm grateful that you told me that much. Of course, now I'll always wonder what I did, but don't tell me if you promised not to. Obviously, it was unintentional. Also, it must have been a long time ago if she was still able to use email or PMs. Wow.
You are welcome, I thought you might like to know, and it was something I could tell, without giving it all away. Because yeah, I can't tell you that part, it must die with me, promises and all. :) At least 7 years ago? So yeah, awhile back.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I had to deal with a lot of that when I was at Blue Cross, but nowhere is near the level of the VA. I try to explain this to people who want Medicare for All. :lol:
Can you imagine the simplicity if it was just Medicare for all? They might even know what's going on. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
ReNext. There's no place like it. :lol: There is a follow-up post up there somewhere that is a more accurate reflection of reality. :lol:
Oh, believe me, I searched back to find what I'd missed. :eek: :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:42 am
Today was a fun day. Church was dull, but Greg and I had a good depressing conversation about getting old, and then I played 9-holes of golf with a guy named Raymond who was very friendly.
Those conversations just start, kind of slowly, here and there. Then one day, you realize it's almost an every day conversation, but still only here and there, and it becomes so common, you barely notice it. It's like when you are young and making plans for the weekend, almost a reflex, and sometimes really not all that exciting, it just exists. :yes:
scottydog wrote:
I'd love to see you in your Halloween costume :ghost:
I second that. Costumes are fun! :yes:
scottydog wrote:
If you haven't, be warned, she might like it a lot, like a lot a lot. Merc likes it a lot a lot. :lol: Still, not the worst cat I've had when it comes to catnip. The worst one was Poof, yes, that was his real name, he was a long hair and my ex didn't want him named Puff, so I called him Poof. Anyway, I gave Poof and his brother Tinker each a catnip toy. Tinker played with his, while Poof ate his. Yep, cloth and all, even little googly eyes, gone. I looked everywhere, the dope ate the whole thing. And yes, the googly eyes came out the other end. :no: :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Guilty as charged :lol: I don't want anyone too badly hurt, though. Just injured enough to be entertaining :lol:
:lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I need to go to the Post Office and supermarket, but other than that I'll be rained in and hopefully productive.
Gary wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:23 am
I've been hemming and hawing on selling my Mazda. I love the car, but I haven't driven it since last year and I start it occasionally to ensure the battery is charged. It needs new tires, and I didn't bother to renew the tag in September. One reason I'm leaning toward selling it is used car prices are very high (it has doubled in value since last year), plus I am betting I will be purchasing an electric vehicle within the next five years.
Sounds like a good idea. Let the money make some interest for you in the meantime.
scottydog wrote:
Church was dull, but Greg and I had a good depressing conversation about getting old
Sounds great, and similar to my day out with my friend last week. :lol:
Oh, hell, no. She had a couple of catnip toys and she also gets high from bleach and other household products. She's an easy mark and a mean drunk. :lol:
Hmm, you're a lighter-weight than I am. Do you get dizzy after your second Hydrox cookie?
I am a lightweight. I usually only have a couple of Twisted Teas every few weeks. Part of it probably was that I'm not supposed to have alcohol with my current medications, and I was also probably a little dehydrated at that point.
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:07 am
i enjoy working with the clients and one of the other carers and one of the drivers...i tolerate working with the other 3 carers and other driver. i do wish we had a more organized office/managerial team, though - it would make things so much easier.i dont particulrly get on well with any of the staff in the office - 2 are pleasant to talk to but dont get anyting done and 1 is incomprehensible and a multi tasking nitwit and then there is the boss.....ugh!
Sounds like a good TV series, but a bad reality.
Elara wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:10 am
I called the guy about our well, again. Calmly pointing out to him that it was 3 weeks past the week he said he'd be here. He said he'd be there at 8:30 the next morning.
Ah, yes, the Comcast Well Service.
I managed to find the entire chess set (Avon) that Mother bought for my brother
Nice. How old is it?
Nope, never watched it. I always wondered how the heavy set guy stayed heavy?
I don't know. He sure got a lot of exercise on that show. :lol:
You are welcome, I thought you might like to know, and it was something I could tell, without giving it all away. Because yeah, I can't tell you that part, it must die with me, promises and all. :) At least 7 years ago? So yeah, awhile back.
Yes, we must respect her secrets, no matter what. She has little enough left.
I second that. Costumes are fun! :yes:
Check the Picture Thread for a Halloween makeup shot.
Anyway, I gave Poof and his brother Tinker each a catnip toy. Tinker played with his, while Poof ate his. Yep, cloth and all, even little googly eyes, gone.
That would be Chloe. She comes from a litter that my Sister's friend found in a dumpster behind a gas station and my Mother always says, "What do you expect from a girl you met at a gas station?" :lol: (Also, I used to have a cat named Tinker a long time ago.)

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Monday, everyone :hello:

I'm beginning week 7 of my 14-week final semester. By the end of the day Thursday, I'm half-way home :dance:
Elara wrote:
I posted the article I found in my mother's stuff, on Twitter, Mike's wife posted a birthday Tweet to him. I got more like and retweets than I've ever gotten, which isn't difficult since I don't generally get likes and retweets. :lol:
What's your Twitter username? I'll look you up and follow you. I'm @heroestoday
Elara wrote:
If you haven't, be warned, she might like it a lot, like a lot a lot. Merc likes it a lot a lot. :lol:
It certainly is a drug and some cats have a low tolerance. I've seen the lives of many cats ruined by their addiction :wiggle:
Elara wrote:
Those conversations just start, kind of slowly, here and there. Then one day, you realize it's almost an every day conversation, but still only here and there, and it becomes so common, you barely notice it.
Yes. I have two elderly friends, Les and Marcia, and I've been having semi-regular lunches with them for years. It used to be that our conversations centered on current events, philosophy, religion. Now our conversations are all centered on their health challenges. I no longer enjoy these chats but I know they need me to listen to them and support them.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:47 am
Oh, hell, no. She had a couple of catnip toys and she also gets high from bleach and other household products. She's an easy mark and a mean drunk. :lol:
Sounds like Chloe is a candidate for a 12-step program :lol: I once had a cat that had a psychotic reaction to catnip. We almost needed a straightjacket for that poor thing. Within a few hours she was back to normal.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I am a lightweight. I usually only have a couple of Twisted Teas every few weeks. Part of it probably was that I'm not supposed to have alcohol with my current medications, and I was also probably a little dehydrated at that point.
Maybe the one good thing about getting old is that I can't drink as much alcohol as I used to be able to. Recreational marijuana is not yet legal in Virginia. When it becomes legalized, I may occasionally partake in it.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning! Another week is upon us. :yawn:

Saturday night, my supervisor pulled me aside to tell me how pleased he is with my work. That is a relief. Yesterday's training went well. I hope they give me the extra hours I requested. I did request 2 Sundays to work, since it is only until 7:30PM, and not physically demanding. I'm looking forward to having this Friday night off at home.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Gary wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:45 pm
I'm a pro at injuring myself, or do you not remember when I had to drive myself to the Urgent Care clinic when I sliced my finger this past winter? :lol:
Oh yes, I forgot. Is there still a scar on that finger?
No idea, but I have so many scars that if there is, it's just another addition to the collection.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I need to go to the Post Office and supermarket, but other than that I'll be rained in and hopefully productive.
Gary wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:23 am
I've been hemming and hawing on selling my Mazda. I love the car, but I haven't driven it since last year and I start it occasionally to ensure the battery is charged. It needs new tires, and I didn't bother to renew the tag in September. One reason I'm leaning toward selling it is used car prices are very high (it has doubled in value since last year), plus I am betting I will be purchasing an electric vehicle within the next five years.
Sounds like a good idea. Let the money make some interest for you in the meantime.
I never thought of it like that. I could either put those funds in my IRA or else pay off the loan I took out for the septic repairs.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Gary wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:22 am
No idea, but I have so many scars that if there is, it's just another addition to the collection.
See, this is what I was telling RJ and Elara -- thank goodness for the Infirmary Thread. When injury reports are entertaining, they're well worth sharing and enjoying :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:03 am
Saturday night, my supervisor pulled me aside to tell me how pleased he is with my work. That is a relief.
That's great news. Congrats on being your awesome self :gold1:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Cayla wrote:
Good morning! Another week is upon us. :yawn:
What she said.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:06 pm
Yikes. Is it flooding the road?
Not yet, though I haven't walked out there yet today. Luckily we're talking Lucerne Valley water pressure and not city water pressure here. It's been dry this year so the ground is soaking it up like a sponge.
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Good afternoon. :hello:

Not much happening - as usual. I went to the gas station, cleaned the kitchen, and sat with my heating pad.

Last week, I ordered cat food and cat litter. It was delivered today. I don't know about those people from Walmart. They packed two 15 pound bags of food and a 12 pound container of litter I one box. Then the second container of litter was packed in a separate box. :conf:
So far, I've got one of the littered upstairs. Il be going back down for the other litter and each of the bags of food.

Tomorrow I have a grocery delivery, so I need to get everything else upstairs before then.

You all have a nice day. I'm going down to go get at least one bag of food.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I postponed the Post Office and store till tomorrow. I didn't feel like getting drenched in cold October rain.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 am
I'm beginning week 7 of my 14-week final semester. By the end of the day Thursday, I'm half-way home :dance:
It's going to get harder and harder. :lol:
Sounds like Chloe is a candidate for a 12-step program :lol: I once had a cat that had a psychotic reaction to catnip. We almost needed a straightjacket for that poor thing. Within a few hours she was back to normal.
Chloe runs around, beats people up, falls into a coma, and then wakes up wondering where the lost hours went.
Maybe the one good thing about getting old is that I can't drink as much alcohol as I used to be able to. Recreational marijuana is not yet legal in Virginia. When it becomes legalized, I may occasionally partake in it.
My friend and I were talking about that the other day. He's tried a couple of kinds of marijuana gummy bear things. One did nothing and one sparked his creativity, he says.
Cayla wrote:
Saturday night, my supervisor pulled me aside to tell me how pleased he is with my work.
Is that the same one who wanted to fire everybody?
Gary wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:22 am
I never thought of it like that. I could either put those funds in my IRA or else pay off the loan I took out for the septic repairs.
Good idea. The deduction and the tax shelter could be worth a lot.
Lupine wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:06 pm
Not yet, though I haven't walked out there yet today. Luckily we're talking Lucerne Valley water pressure and not city water pressure here. It's been dry this year so the ground is soaking it up like a sponge.
Maybe you'll find a nice little oasis out there. :lol:
jgc wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm
Last week, I ordered cat food and cat litter. It was delivered today. I don't know about those people from Walmart. They packed two 15 pound bags of food and a 12 pound container of litter I one box. Then the second container of litter was packed in a separate box. :conf:
They did that to my Mother one time. Dumped a big box of cat litter bags at the end of the driveway. She had to open it up and drag each one inside like a dead body.

:tea: