Questions Only VII: Answer In Your Pants

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Questions Only VII: Answer In Your Pants

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:47 pm
I think so, yes. And in the interests of galactic peace, we should be more than happy to give them our Moon and then arrange for talks about shared ownership with other planets.
Gasp. You'd give away our only precious Moon to alien colonizers?!? :eek:
But most importantly, we should ask for the secret to interstellar travel. Would there be harm in them sharing their propulsion technology with us? Would they even be willing to share it?
I suppose it depends on the circumstances. Their secret to interstellar travel may be to freeze themselves and fly through space for a thousand years. :lol: But I'm sure that some technology transfer may be enough for them to buy a couple of little craters on the far side of the Moon. :D

Do you think it's possible that an intelligent species existed on Earth before Humanity, but went extinct before we evolved?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:37 pm
Gasp. You'd give away our only precious Moon to alien colonizers?!? :eek:
Yes, but only because they'd pulverize us if we put up a fight :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:37 pm
Do you think it's possible that an intelligent species existed on Earth before Humanity, but went extinct before we evolved?
That's my theory about dinosaurs. They were super intelligent beings who had enough foresight to build huge advanced civilizations made out of biodegradable materials. Sixty million years ago they saw the asteroid coming and evacuated the planet, leaving no trace of their advanced technologies.

I'm sure you'd love to hear about my other theories about advanced being made of ice who also left no trace of their existence :lol:

Could there be advanced being living right now in the hot molten interior of our planet?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:04 pm
Yes, but only because they'd pulverize us if we put up a fight :lol:
Or maybe they'll be on their last pseudopods by the time they get here. They might have had to flee some cosmic catastrophe.
That's my theory about dinosaurs. They were super intelligent beings who had enough foresight to build huge advanced civilizations made out of biodegradable materials. Sixty million years ago they saw the asteroid coming and evacuated the planet, leaving no trace of their advanced technologies.
It's well within the realm of possibility that there were intelligent dinosaurs who had culture and civilization, but since they left no trace of their presence-- like extensive mining or ritual burials-- it's unlikely that they got beyond the Stone Age. Unless they somehow bypassed all the stages that we've gone through and went straight to some super science that we can't imagine. But in that case, they probably could have stopped the asteroid.
I'm sure you'd love to hear about my other theories about advanced being made of ice who also left no trace of their existence :lol:
That one is a bit less likely. :lol:
Could there be advanced being living right now in the hot molten interior of our planet?
There's at least two. :lol:

What is your Theory of Dark Matter?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I'm baffled by dark matter. From what little I know, nobody has ever seen dark matter but we know it's there because the universe wouldn't hold together the way it does without the gravitational evidence that a huge amount of dark matter is out there. Is that correct?

So to me, the idea of invisible matter is weird and almost ridiculous. Isn't it more likely that our calculations are wrong, or that our theories of the physical laws of the universe are incomplete?

Fell free to educate me as I'm sure the dark matter of my brain is muddying my understanding.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

You pretty much know as much about Dark Matter as anybody. :lol: And one idea is that it is really some error or omission in the calculations. The idea that constants like gravity change over time, though, has been ruled out by observation, but I think that is the only thing that is ruled out so far. A common theory is that Dark Matter is a particle that only interacts with familiar matter through the force of gravity-- but I wonder whether 95% of the universe can be less complicated than the intricate web of particles and energy that we experience, so I suspect that there is a lot out there that we're not seeing.

How do you think the Universe will end?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Well, when I was a kid, I read somewhere that our universe is expanding, and then it will reach a point where it will max out and then begin contracting. And the end of the contraction process will result in every atom of the universe being squeezed into an infinitesimally small -- and infinitely dense -- speck of matter. Which could, in theory, be the prelude to another Big Bang.

But that was 50 years ago. Surely there are new and better projections out there. What are the latest speculations and/or calculations?

And are there some theories of our universe that allow for a multiverse and some that don't?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:01 pm
Well, when I was a kid, I read somewhere that our universe is expanding, and then it will reach a point where it will max out and then begin contracting. And the end of the contraction process will result in every atom of the universe being squeezed into an infinitesimally small -- and infinitely dense -- speck of matter. Which could, in theory, be the prelude to another Big Bang.
At one time, the Cyclical Theory was pretty much the top theory of the nature of the universe. Then it was discovered that the expansion is accelerating, which led to theories of Dark Energy. However, it was also observed by Hubble that the early universe had structure to it much earlier than anticipated. And now, just in the last few weeks, Webb has observed that things are much more structured much closer to the Big Bang than theories predicted. So now the Cyclical Theory is experiencing a bit of a comeback.
And are there some theories of our universe that allow for a multiverse and some that don't?
Yes, there are a number of theories that allow for a multiverse and various definitions of multiverse, and a good possibility that several of them are true. And there are probably types of multiverses that we can't even guess at. None that we can travel to like in Star Trek, though. Probably.

What do you think will become of the British monarchy now that the Queen has died?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:31 pm
And there are probably types of multiverses that we can't even guess at.
Interesting. I wonder what an example is of an unusual type of universe. Would it be a universe made of antimatter? A universe where everyone wears Groucho glasses?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:31 pm
What do you think will become of the British monarchy now that the Queen has died?
I have no idea. Would it be so terrible if the monarchy collapsed?

Not that that's likely to happen. I suspect Charles will make a decent King for about a decade, and then William will be King and the usual succession of "power" will continue unabated.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

Would it be so terrible if the monarchy collapsed?

not in my eyes personally, but for the UK in general, yes. perhaps we should look into those beyond ourselves for our decisions, yes? (and maybe we should start a new thread as its age 25, yes?)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yes, we should. Thank you. Give me a couple of seconds. :D