Check-In 132: Pronic Aethra Ogle - HNY 2024

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Re: Check-In 132: Pronic Aethra Ogle - HNY 2024

Post by Jim Gamma »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:38 pm
Interesting. The UK doesn't have an army with Generals? Does it have a Royal Navy with Admirals?
Obviously we have generals, but The General implies a specific one, which is what I was referring to - usually if it's coming from Americans, you mean Washington in the War of Independence, or whoever it was in the Civil War. Neither was the case here, so wasn't sure who you meant and didn't feel like trawling back for answers that may not be there.

Thanks RJ for the answer though!
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Jim Gamma wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:08 pm
Obviously we have generals, but The General implies a specific one, which is what I was referring to - usually if it's coming from Americans, you mean Washington in the War of Independence, or whoever it was in the Civil War.
Now I'm curious how different countries assign military ranks. The General we're referring to is a guy I play golf with who is a retired Air Force General with a dark, mysterious past. And present.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:02 pm
Children of Ares is finally out in paperback.
Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Lupine wrote:
And he's not the only one I've seen John De Lancie, Erin Grey, Ann Lockhart, Lou Ferrigno, and Walter Koenig in various productions.
That's really cool. I had no idea these actors did stuff like this :yes:
Lupine wrote:
They are good.
As I mentioned to RJ, I wish Bing would show different interpretations of a prompt rather than four variations of the same interpretation.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I finished watching the Many Worlds lecture series on Wondrium. Then I watched it again and it was completely different. :unsure:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:38 pm
But him not liking Florida could be a source of friction that we could really run with if we need more 2024 drama :lol:
Is it really surprising that Vlad is not enamored of the Sunshine State? :batman:
Exactly. Thirty years later we're completely different people, or we're supposed to be. We need to keep growing and evolving over the entire lifespan.
In the immortal words of Dr Zarkov, "I haven't changed." :cooldude:
Interesting. The UK doesn't have an army with Generals? Does it have a Royal Navy with Admirals?
It has Brigadiers. Don't you watch Doctor Who? :warn:
Exactly. Isn't that what an idyllic retirement should be?
A preview of passing into the afterlife? I don't know about that. :lol:
I loved the images that Bing came up with, but what's disappointing is that AI gets one "theme" in its head and only generates images based on that one theme. Why doesn't it try to generate an alternative perspective from the same prompt?
I guess each model is like an individual brain, so there are bound to be similarities if you give it the same prompt. But sometimes you can get wildly different results just be adding a word, or even just rearranging the word order. It might even give you different results at a different time.
If that's all that happened to you, consider yourself lucky. Cayla ended up in bed with a vampire.
I wouldn't want that. I like to watch the sunrise.
You were supposed to keep the "humanoids from the deep" stuff to yourself. Expect another Applebee's incident :mellow:
I guess I shouldn't have published. :unsure:
Lupine wrote:
Children of Ares is finally out in paperback.
The logo is much improved. I am enticed to buy it. :D
Also my aunt needs to get some paperwork for her blood work from her doctor's office as she lost the last one.
You'd think they'd all be able to transmit this stuff electronically by now.
And he's not the only one I've seen John De Lancie, Erin Grey, Ann Lockhart, Lou Ferrigno, and Walter Koenig in various productions.
Very nice. I haven't seen any of them, but I've seen Chase Masterson and Gary Lockwood in clips from fan films.
I thought that was all classified! :afraid: Just don't mention the Moon Mummies.... d'oh!
Even I know enough to keep the Moon Mummies under wraps.
Jim Gamma wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:08 pm
Neither was the case here, so wasn't sure who you meant and didn't feel like trawling back for answers that may not be there.
You should trawl back. The entertainment is endless. :lol:
Thanks RJ for the answer though!
You're welcome. Now please destroy this message in the proscribed manner.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:39 pm
Now I'm curious how different countries assign military ranks.
They're not much different in the modern world. You can find comparison charts on Wiki.

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

What can I say? We had another great day tasting Napa Valley wines. We're in love with this place -- there are citrus trees, palm trees, and vineyards everywhere. When we return home this Wednesday, i'll begin a long, painful grieving process.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:32 pm
I finished watching the Many Worlds lecture series on Wondrium. Then I watched it again and it was completely different. :unsure:
Was the first version better or worse than the second version?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Is it really surprising that Vlad is not enamored of the Sunshine State? :batman:
Now that you mention it... :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
In the immortal words of Dr Zarkov, "I haven't changed." :cooldude:
You haven't changed even a little bit over the last few decades?
RJDiogenes wrote:
It has Brigadiers. Don't you watch Doctor Who? :warn:
I do not watch Doctor Who. And yes, I am ashamed :blush:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I guess each model is like an individual brain, so there are bound to be similarities if you give it the same prompt. But sometimes you can get wildly different results just be adding a word, or even just rearranging the word order. It might even give you different results at a different time.
That's true. Maybe it's single-minded until you prompt it again, at which time it considers switching mindsets.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
It's completion day! Just waiting for a call to go collect keys, then I can start the fun of arranging power/water, etc. And this weekend I will start looking at furniture.
2.Perhaps you planted a suggestion to your boss that he should take better care of his parrot.
3.Children of Ares is finally out in paperback.
1 enjoyable times!
2 but the boss doesnt have a parrot....he has a dog
3 where? (url svp)

oksies todaysies....
L&I are walking into Arundel today......something happened to her car at the railway station - coincerning a post and her grandson - so she has an expensive hole to repair and doesnt want to use her car today.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

I'm off to breakfast with Mom and Chloe. Aaaand then I'm going straight to the second annual Cousins gathering that my Cousin Shannon created, which means that I won't be checking in again until sometime late tonight.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:51 am
Was the first version better or worse than the second version?
The second version postulated that there might be alternate dimensions where scientists believe in the Many Worlds Theory.
You haven't changed even a little bit over the last few decades?
I believe strongly in continuity. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:00 am
where? (url svp)
Right here.
something happened to her car at the railway station - coincerning a post and her grandson - so she has an expensive hole to repair and doesnt want to use her car today.
Oh, no. Her grandson drove her car into a post? The 2024 drama continues. :eek:

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Saturday, everyone :hello:

Just the same old today. Morning walk, wineries, nap, dinner, read, then mindless TV before bed.
Madeliaette wrote:
...something happened to her car at the railway station - coincerning a post and her grandson - so she has an expensive hole to repair and doesnt want to use her car today.
Hopefully L's hips and legs are in better shape than her car.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:54 am
I'm going straight to the second annual Cousins gathering that my Cousin Shannon created, which means that I won't be checking in again until sometime late tonight.
Does this gathering include the cousins who own the place you live in? Maybe you can get some info about their financial situation.
RJDiogenes wrote:
The second version postulated that there might be alternate dimensions where scientists believe in the Many Worlds Theory.
So I gather that most scientists are skeptical about the Many Worlds idea. Do most scientists believe there's only one universe?
RJDiogenes wrote:
I believe strongly in continuity. :lol:
I bet you've grown and evolved more than you realize. Anyone influenced by Mr. Mitchell would not remain stagnant.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, gatherers. :coffee:

It's National Chocolate Cake Day! :cake:
And International Holocaust Remembrance Day. :star_of_david:

Some minor repair work ahead today, if it warms up enough. :tools:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I'm off to breakfast with Mom and Chloe. Aaaand then I'm going straight to the second annual Cousins gathering that my Cousin Shannon created, which means that I won't be checking in again until sometime late tonight.
Have fun! :hello:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Madeliaette wrote:
where? (url svp)
Right here.
Thanks! I was going to post a link last night but Amazon UK was down at the time.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

And I am home. That was a long day. I'm just going to go to bed and read the Funnies. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:16 pm
Does this gathering include the cousins who own the place you live in? Maybe you can get some info about their financial situation.
I'm sure Shannon invited them, but they didn't show-- and she was probably relieved. :lol:
So I gather that most scientists are skeptical about the Many Worlds idea. Do most scientists believe there's only one universe?
The lecturer, Sean Carroll, seemed to indicate that most scientists accept the Many Worlds idea at this point, but there is disagreement among scientists who believe that the equations "represent reality" and scientists who believe that the equations "represent what we know about reality."
I bet you've grown and evolved more than you realize. Anyone influenced by Mr. Mitchell would not remain stagnant.
Maybe I've peaked. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:48 pm
Have fun! :hello:
Thank you. It was long and exhausting, but enjoyable.
Thanks! I was going to post a link last night but Amazon UK was down at the time.
I'm glad I remembered there's a separate UK address. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today was viticulturally fun and informative, as always.
Lupine wrote:
It's National Chocolate Cake Day! :cake:
And International Holocaust Remembrance Day. :star_of_david:
Damn. It's tough honoring both the best and worst things at the same time :unsure:
Lupine wrote:
What did you repair?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:49 am
And I am home. That was a long day. I'm just going to go to bed and read the Funnies. :lol:
That was a month's worth of socializing in one day. I hope the Funnies aided in your recovery.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I'm sure Shannon invited them, but they didn't show-- and she was probably relieved. :lol:
These cousins you rent from must be somewhat difficult people.
RJDiogenes wrote:
The lecturer, Sean Carroll, seemed to indicate that most scientists accept the Many Worlds idea at this point, but there is disagreement among scientists who believe that the equations "represent reality" and scientists who believe that the equations "represent what we know about reality."
Ahhh. Reality versus perceived reality. It's the age-old question :headbash:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.Her grandson drove her car into a post?
2.Hopefully L's hips and legs are in better shape than her car.
1 no she did.....but because he wanted her toi park somewhgere other than where she parked....and it was dark and car lights blind her. she doesnt like driving in the dark.
2 her knees ok for now - just the one hip gives her yakyak if she walks more than 5 miles.but she doesnt stop walking longer treks.

yesterday we hikerd to arundel. swapped 2 books at the exchange then hit the wwt for refreshments/lunch and a wander round. we stopped off at the lake on the way home but didnt go round it just watched the birds for ten mins.

aksies, todaysies....
3 hrs work a plot trot some study and a meditation recording
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

As soon as I figure out what day it is, I probably won't make any plans.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:03 am
Today was viticulturally fun and informative, as always.
Just don't get caught up in the Viticulture War.
That was a month's worth of socializing in one day. I hope the Funnies aided in your recovery.
What would life be without the Funnies? Less funny, probably.
These cousins you rent from must be somewhat difficult people.
They're not bad guys at all, just completely opposite in terms of lifestyle. :lol:
Ahhh. Reality versus perceived reality. It's the age-old question :headbash:
Especially when the only mode of perception is math. :quill:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:14 am
no she did.....but because he wanted her toi park somewhgere other than where she parked....and it was dark and car lights blind her. she doesnt like driving in the dark.
Yeah, I never liked driving in the dark and I like it even less now.
yesterday we hikerd to arundel. swapped 2 books at the exchange then hit the wwt for refreshments/lunch and a wander round. we stopped off at the lake on the way home but didnt go round it just watched the birds for ten mins.
Does she still seem preoccupied with some mysterious malady?

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Not much going on here. It's finally going to warm up, but it's still wet & soggy from the recent rain. The urge to relocate to South Carolina is returning, so I spent some time looking at domiciles for a while. I'm undecided if I would prefer a condo or a townhouse instead of a house. It seems folks in South Carolina discovered the concept of having a garage within the last 25 years as almost every home built before the 1990s don't have one. Weird.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Sunday, everyone :hello:

Today is more of the same. The wines they excel at here are pino noir, cab sauv, and chardonnay. So we're in hog heaven. I do need to stop at an ATM to get more cash to tip the wine-pourers.
Madeliaette wrote:
...and it was dark and car lights blind her. she doesnt like driving in the dark.
Nighttime driving does get harder with age. I'm starting to notice a slight decline.
Madeliaette wrote:
just the one hip gives her yakyak if she walks more than 5 miles.but she doesnt stop walking longer treks.
All my arthritic golf friends tell me that the best thing you can do is keep the arthritic body parts moving. Maybe L knows this. The problem areas get worse with inactivity.
Gary wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:10 pm
It seems folks in South Carolina discovered the concept of having a garage within the last 25 years as almost every home built before the 1990s don't have one. Weird.
This is also true in Virginia. And I agree it's weird.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:28 am
As soon as I figure out what day it is, I probably won't make any plans.
I rarely know or care what day it is. Unless it's golf day or something.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Luckily we don't (yet) have trouble figuring out what time of day it is.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Just don't get caught up in the Viticulture War.
There are no wars but there is healthy competition among the wineries. Anticapitalists like my daughter don't want to hear this, but competition breeds excellence. California has been in the wine-making business for about 100 years or so, and since their famous 1976 international competition victory, the business has boomed and competition has been fierce. The result is almost uniformly excellent wines everywhere.

Virginia has been late to the wine game, and while the best Virginia wines are as good as the best California wines, there is greater variability in the quality of Virginia wines. That will slowly change over time.
RJDiogenes wrote:
They're not bad guys at all, just completely opposite in terms of lifestyle. :lol:
I'm glad to hear this. Now I'm curious by what you mean by "lifestyle" :conf:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Especially when the only mode of perception is math. :quill:
Can math eventually yield a definitive answer? Or will there always be room for interpretation about what the math yields?
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, more of the samers. :coffee:

There are so many "Days" today I can't even list them all. :eek:

As for here I'll probably be resting my back up which I mangled yesterday. :backache: (we need a backache emoji).
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:03 am
Lupine wrote:
What did you repair?
The floor in the front bathroom needed some work after a leak we had.