Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Season 2 -SPOILERS

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Season 2 -SPOILERS

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:35 pm
The future is sooooo cool that we want to mimic a small town from the 1950s. :wtf:
This makes sense to me. When Humankind starts colonizing the solar system, I can definitely see habitats mimicking various cultures or environments or historical periods.
I inferred that the Gorn had attacked the Cayuga before taking over the planet for hunting.
Yeah, but how did they destroy it so quickly? They must have come in guns blazing and whoever was commanding Cayuga must have been slow on the uptake.
Yet ANOTHER person in the Trek universe we didn't need to see.
Yeah, I'd really rather see characters like Gary Mitchell or Laurel Colt, who never got a chance to be developed.
I want to see more of M'Benga in action a'la Bevery Crusher or Julian Bashir. The man's a doctor!! Can we at least see him in action rather than as a side-conversation filler?
He gets more time as a super-soldier than a doctor.
Yeah, I still don't understand how a reptilian species can develop space travel. That's just off-the-wall-nuts.
I was thinking about that. It could be that the Gorn live a long time and the older, more sedate, tailless Gorn, like the one Kirk fought, are the leaders and scientists and engineers.
But we're still stuck with his broterh.
I'm okay with that. He's in the same category as Mitchell and Colt, as TOS characters they can develop.
Discovery is ending this next season, and nothing of value will be lost.
Indeed.
Not really interested.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:36 am
Not really interested.
I think it's merely speculative on the part of the author. Like you, I'm not interested. I'd love to see a series based on the Starfleet Corps of Engineers.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I've never read those books, but it seems like a concept with potential. At least they won't be fighting wars.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I've seen every SNW season 2 episode except the finale, which I'll do tomorrow.

By far, my favorite episodes have been Those Old Scientists (TOS) and Subspace Rhapsody. These two episodes were absolutely brilliant. I'm not a huge Lower Decks fan but I do mildly enjoy it. The TOS crossover was handled with great cleverness and creativity.

Subspace Rhapsody was the best Trek episode I've seen since DS9 ended in 1999. I went into this episode with a lot of skepticism -- how the hell can they justify a musical?? Well, they found just enough science and trek technobabble to pull it off, and the result had me tapping my feet and howling with laughter. The scene that had me rolling on the floor was the poor Klingon Captain who is in obvious pain as he realizes he's about to break into song :lol: Then Pike's expression after the Klingon song-and-dance was priceless :lol:

These two episodes alone make season 2 a success. There were a few other pretty good episodes and a couple of forgettable ones. But damn, Those Old Scientists and Subspace Rhapsody were pure genius and tons of fun. That's why I love SNW -- they've made Trek fun again.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:24 pm
By far, my favorite episodes have been Those Old Scientists (TOS) and Subspace Rhapsody. These two episodes were absolutely brilliant. I'm not a huge Lower Decks fan but I do mildly enjoy it. The TOS crossover was handled with great cleverness and creativity.
Those two were definitely the high points of the season. Overall, the season did not live up to season one.
Subspace Rhapsody was the best Trek episode I've seen since DS9 ended in 1999. I went into this episode with a lot of skepticism -- how the hell can they justify a musical?? Well, they found just enough science and trek technobabble to pull it off, and the result had me tapping my feet and howling with laughter. The scene that had me rolling on the floor was the poor Klingon Captain who is in obvious pain as he realizes he's about to break into song :lol: Then Pike's expression after the Klingon song-and-dance was priceless :lol:
The Disco Klingons may have been pushing it a bit too far-- as well as raising the question of why the Klingons would break out in a human musical genre rather than Klingon Opera or something. Did you know that the Klingon captain was played by the same guy who played the Andorian engineer in season one?
These two episodes alone make season 2 a success. There were a few other pretty good episodes and a couple of forgettable ones. But damn, Those Old Scientists and Subspace Rhapsody were pure genius and tons of fun. That's why I love SNW -- they've made Trek fun again.
Yes, they've done a good job of recapturing some of the spirit of TOS. Now if they can just migrate that over to the Prime Universe....

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:24 pm
I've seen every SNW season 2 episode except the finale, which I'll do tomorrow.

I should hope by now that your interest in Star Trek: Lower Decks has been piqued. Trust me, that show is well worth the watch.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:07 pm
Overall, the season did not live up to season one.
It depends how you evaluate a season. I tend to judge a series by its best episodes, not by the average of the episodes. For example, Star Trek TOS was brilliant because its best episodes were brilliant. But whenever I do a re-watch of all of TOS, I'm appalled at how terrible about a third of the episodes are. Thankfully, a third are incredibly good and that's why I believe TOS is incredibly good.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:07 pm
Did you know that the Klingon captain was played by the same guy who played the Andorian engineer in season one?
I had no idea! Over the years there have been a lot of notable actors under all that Klingon makeup, and sometimes I don't recognize them.
Gary wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:21 pm
I should hope by now that your interest in Star Trek: Lower Decks has been piqued. Trust me, that show is well worth the watch.
Yes, my interest in LD has been piqued for sure. It's now on my list of series to binge-watch very soon.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Lower Decks surprised me. It's a dumb comedy but it weirdly has more respect for old Trek than many of the so-called serious shows.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yes, that's exactly the thing that intrigues me about it: It respects and uses canon.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:15 pm
^Lower Decks surprised me. It's a dumb comedy but it weirdly has more respect for old Trek than many of the so-called serious shows.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:11 pm
Yes, that's exactly the thing that intrigues me about it: It respects and uses canon.
I agree and have seen some wonderful callbacks to classic Trek episodes from several different Trek series. My main complaint is the way the characters talk. Lower Decks is obviously a series aimed at a younger demographic.

My sense is that Strange New Worlds attracts an audience of all ages, although I could be wrong.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:06 am
Lupine wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:15 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:11 pm
I agree and have seen some wonderful callbacks to classic Trek episodes from several different Trek series. My main complaint is the way the characters talk. Lower Decks is obviously a series aimed at a younger demographic.

My sense is that Strange New Worlds attracts an audience of all ages, although I could be wrong.
Actually, the way the characters talk is pretty much on par with how younger people at that age. TNG's lower rank characters were a bit stuffy for their age. Quite honestly, the characters remind how everyone was at lower ranks when I was in the Navy and how we slowly matured. The characters do evolve as the series progresses.

You will NOT be disappointed.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^ I'm on it! Thank you.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:43 am
^ I'm on it! Thank you.

:dance: