Check-In 133: Harshad Happy Untritrium Craig Jones

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-In 133: Harshad Happy Untritrium Craig Jones

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, anti-Mondayers. :coffee:

Beyond Good Friday, there are more "days" today than you can shake a stick at.
As for today I'll endeavor to spuddle a bit, but if the weather holds (as it appears to be doing at the moment) I might accidentally get something done.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:32 am
huggle wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:30 am
I wonder if you'll run out of pun ideas before Easter Punday :D
I always have a pun in the oven. :angel:
And I'll make puncakes.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am

We received some bad new last night after we got home from dancing. My brother Bruce, who is 68, was just diagnosed with Parkinson's. He seemed in pretty good spirits on the phone, all things considered. The doctor said that if there's a bright side to his diagnosis, it's that it's come rather late in life, which means its progression is slower. Right now my brother feels fine, but does have a tremor in his right hand.
:no:
scottydog wrote:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am
no zooms as 7am and 12.30pm are cancelled due to good friday - so for me its bad friday.
And it should be Bad Friday. After all, wasn't Jesus crucified on this day? :conf:
I think it's also the day that Cortez encountered the Aztec.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I managed to get a lot of sorting and organizing done today. I'm so proud of myself. Now I can slack off again. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
We received some bad new last night after we got home from dancing. My brother Bruce, who is 68, was just diagnosed with Parkinson's. He seemed in pretty good spirits on the phone, all things considered. The doctor said that if there's a bright side to his diagnosis, it's that it's come rather late in life, which means its progression is slower. Right now my brother feels fine, but does have a tremor in his right hand.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Have they prescribed any medicine or therapy?
That's exactly how Jack Kornfield puts it.
If Jack Kornfield doesn't like someone, does he wish them into the house? :unsure:
Only for the pre-retired, aka the "pretired". You and I are just plain old "tired" :lol:
Tired indeed. I think I'm going to fall asleep as soon as I try to read something.
If there's any silver lining, it's that Marcia is hard of hearing, and so she often just turns off her hearing aid.
That's helpful, I guess.
I asked ChatGPT to explain why it's "Good" Friday:

Good Friday is called "good" not because of the suffering and crucifixion of Jesus, but because of the significance of what His death represents for Christians. The term "good" in this context is thought to denote "holy" or "pious." It's a day that commemorates Jesus Christ's crucifixion and death at Calvary, which, according to Christian belief, brought salvation to humanity. His sacrifice is seen as the ultimate act of love, forgiving humanity's sins and opening the way to reconciliation with God. Thus, despite the somber events it recalls, Good Friday is considered "good" because of the hope and redemption it signifies for believers.
Apparently it was also the last time Christians were optimistic about anything. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm
Beyond Good Friday, there are more "days" today than you can shake a stick at.
Oooh, it's Mermaid Day!!

And I'll make puncakes.
Set phasers to pun. :gun2:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

scottydog wrote:

I asked ChatGPT to explain why it's "Good" Friday:

Good Friday is called "good" not because of the suffering and crucifixion of Jesus, but because of the significance of what His death represents for Christians. The term "good" in this context is thought to denote "holy" or "pious." It's a day that commemorates Jesus Christ's crucifixion and death at Calvary, which, according to Christian belief, brought salvation to humanity. His sacrifice is seen as the ultimate act of love, forgiving humanity's sins and opening the way to reconciliation with God. Thus, despite the somber events it recalls, Good Friday is considered "good" because of the hope and redemption it signifies for believers.

Could also be "God's Friday", in the same way "Goodbye" comes from "God be with ye", I guess?

Linguistics are (is?) fun. :D

I'm on 2 weeks' leave so getting ready to do some more prep work for my flat - decorating is about 50% complete, so time to start thinking about furniture etc. :) I might actually be able to pick up some semblance of "normal" once I'm in - I've let everything slide, writing, Saturday chats, listening to podcasts - as I fell into a quite nasty spot of depression last year. (Not bad enough to warrant going to the GP for support - besides, they'd only tell me I'm obese and to lose weight and I'd feel better. Doesn't help that after years of silence they picked last autumn to start asking me by text to record my blood pressure and so on.)
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Hope the depression let up. Don't be a stranger. :hello:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.s I understand it, it was a pretty bad Friday for the guy in question, too.
2.My brother Bruce, who is 68, was just diagnosed with Parkinson's
3.And it should be Bad Friday. After all, wasn't Jesus crucified on this day?
4.encountered the Aztec.
5.Oooh, it's Mermaid Day!!
6.I fell into a quite nasty spot of depression last year.
1. somebody who lived a long time ago and i dont follow....yeah - but i can fill my zoomlessness with manjushri chanting and recorded meditations at least.
2. sorry to hear that - from experience of L's late husband....who had it - keep active. he kept swimming and walking as long as he could and managed to do really well before it got to the last stages. itwas when the de,mentia kicked in he went downhill - then the stroke....that killed him in the end.,
3 i think the Christian thought is he died so he could rise, so its good in the long run....not sure....seems to be what i was taught as a kid. Cayla is more into that religion than my memory....and can probabaly let us know.
4. ahhhhhh i was interested in Aztec stuff at one point in my youth.
5muku likes mermaids - and unicorns
6 sorry to hear that...

oh oh.....''Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.'' seems i can read but cannot post...now the lots vanished. ill try again in ten mins.....
oh seems its my internet...now i cant load my scrabble games..sigh.... hope im back online soonly.

for those interested - more advice on karma: https://robinacourtin.com/robina-s-blog ... enerosity/
(this one talks about how to be reborn human)

today :- going to Warnham nature reserve with L after coffee at old barn. had a nose bleed last night.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Hmm. I wonder where scotty disappeared to. Maybe he went to visit his brother.

No breakfast at Mom's today, since she's having an Easter brunch tomorrow.
Jim Gamma wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 pm
I'm on 2 weeks' leave so getting ready to do some more prep work for my flat - decorating is about 50% complete, so time to start thinking about furniture etc. :)
Nice. Are you keeping a photographic record of progress?
as I fell into a quite nasty spot of depression last year.
I hope you're feeling better now. :hug:
Doesn't help that after years of silence they picked last autumn to start asking me by text to record my blood pressure and so on.
Maybe there's a new practitioner or new management or something.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:19 am
i think the Christian thought is he died so he could rise, so its good in the long run....not sure....seems to be what i was taught as a kid.
Yup, he died for everybody's sins. Presumptuous, but well meaning.
ahhhhhh i was interested in Aztec stuff at one point in my youth.
A very fascinating and violent civilization.
muku likes mermaids - and unicorns
Can she draw them?
oh oh.....''Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.'' seems i can read but cannot post...now the lots vanished. ill try again in ten mins.....
oh seems its my internet...now i cant load my scrabble games..sigh.... hope im back online soonly.
Apparently you're back. :hello:
for those interested - more advice on karma: https://robinacourtin.com/robina-s-blog ... enerosity/
I'll take a look at that. I definitely want to be human. :lol:
had a nose bleed last night.
Do you still have a cold?

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Saturday, everyone :hello:

I didn't check yesterday evening because the Wife invited a couple over for cocktails (wine, actually) at 4pm. I thought it would only be an hour, but they ended up staying until 10pm :eek: We all had fun, and minutes after they left I collapsed in bed.

Maddie, we downed bottles of Hendry Napa Valley Zinfandel and a Napa Tamber Bey Cab Sauvignon :wine:
Jim Gamma wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 pm
Could also be "God's Friday", in the same way "Goodbye" comes from "God be with ye", I guess?
Ahh, yes, that makes sense!
Madeliaette wrote:
sorry to hear that - from experience of L's late husband....who had it - keep active. he kept swimming and walking as long as he could and managed to do really well before it got to the last stages.
Staying active and fit makes sense. With Parkinson's, the muscles really stiffen up and I hope my brother is getting good advice about the importance of exercise and stretching.
Madeliaette wrote:
i think the Christian thought is he died so he could rise, so its good in the long run....not sure....seems to be what i was taught as a kid.
Yes, I think Friday is called Good because of the entire idea of death and resurrection. I see a lot of shared ideas with Buddhism in that suffering can be transformative.
Madeliaette wrote:
had a nose bleed last night.
Oh no. I hope it didn't last long.
Madeliaette wrote:
I am indeed interested -- Robina's blog. Excellent.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 am
Hmm. I wonder where scotty disappeared to. Maybe he went to visit his brother.
I'll definitely have to make a trip to Arizona to visit him soon. Probably this summer.
RJDiogenes wrote:
No breakfast at Mom's today, since she's having an Easter brunch tomorrow.
I'm glad you will not be deprived of your one decent weekly meal :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Yup, he died for everybody's sins. Presumptuous, but well meaning.
I'm going to start calling him Jesus the Presumptuous :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I'll take a look at that. I definitely want to be human. :lol:
I want to be human, too. I want to do it better next time.
Last edited by scottydog on Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, humans.

Rain will curtain most outside activities, but I have a book to tinker with.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:35 am

I didn't check yesterday evening because the Wife invited a couple over for cocktails (wine, actually) at 4pm. I thought it would only be an hour, but they ended up staying until 10pm :eek: We all had fun, and minutes after they left I collapsed in bed.
There you are!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

More spuddling, more organizing, more reading. In the words of Andrea True, "More, more, more."
scottydog wrote:
I didn't check yesterday evening because the Wife invited a couple over for cocktails (wine, actually) at 4pm.
A couple of what?
I'll definitely have to make a trip to Arizona to visit him soon. Probably this summer.
I couldn't remember if he lived locally.
I'm glad you will not be deprived of your one decent weekly meal :lol:
I think we'll be having quiche and home fries or something.
I'm going to start calling him Jesus the Presumptuous :lol:
The Church of the Presumption. :messiah:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:54 pm
Rain will curtain most outside activities, but I have a book to tinker with.
You could always spuddle in the puddles.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :lol:
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

Photographs aplenty. Deciding on window blinds, walls are painted. The whole place is bedecked in sheets and plastic covers are protecting kitchen units and windows.

I have my eye on a corner desk on Amazon.

CASART L-shaped Computer Desk, 170cm Reversible Corner Desk with Drawers, Cabinet & Keyboard Tray, Modern Office Desk Wooden PC Laptop Table for Home Office Bedroom (Walnut) https://amzn.eu/d/1rI19MY

Has a keyboard tray, cupboard, drawers etc. I need to check it fits though.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Golf was fun today. The weather was perfect, and the two geezers I played with were pleasant gents. Now it's time to crash on the couch.
Lupine wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:54 pm
There you are!
Reports of my mysterious disappearance were not greatly exaggerated :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:13 pm
In the words of Andrea True, "More, more, more."
Ahh, I remember liking that song. It's only 50 years old :oldman:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:13 pm
scottydog wrote:
I didn't check yesterday evening because the Wife invited a couple over for cocktails (wine, actually) at 4pm.
A couple of what?
Good question. Moe would say wiseguys, but it was a married couple we know who know wine and love wine even more than we do. They have over 500 bottles in their wine cellar. We don't even have a wine cellar :lol: But we do have several wine racks in our living room and den. And yes, they are packed with bottles, although no where close to 500.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.he died for everybody's sins. Presumptuous, but well meaning.
2.Apparently you're back
3.Do you still have a cold?
4.Hendry Napa Valley Zinfandel and a Napa Tamber Bey Cab Sauvignon
5.hope it didn't last long.
6.Robina's blog. Excellent
7.I have my eye on a corner desk on Amazon.
1 well i prefer to sort my own negative karma out...
2 well my internet isnt very stable at the mo...its vut out on me twice today
3 no that only lasted 2-3 days, it then morphed ointo a sinus infection when they dug up the sidewalks in our street to lay internet cables and i havent shifted it yet. i need to eat more raw onion but havent been able to get - sainburys hude theres in bags so i wont buy, culberry have giant onions and i like small ones, and waitrose didnt have any organic ones.
4 both sound worth tasting.... the zinfandel esp.
5 nope, but it comes and goes in blood clots for a few days usually.
6 tons of wisdom there - from the nun who i took refuge vows from
7 love the shape....but not the color myself.

yesterdsaywas fun - we coffeed at old barn garden center then hit wanrhm nature reserve - where we spotted red poll reed b8unting and siskin as well as squirrel and bank vole and show pigeon and frog.

today - 3 hrs work then i hope to hit the plot and redig the pre dug soil so its plant ready for next week.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

happy Easter! Image

Jim, did you get your blood sugar checked lately? Undetected Diabetes frequently causes depression. It's the brain's way of calling for help when it doesn't get enough glucose.

In the early state of diabetes you still have enough insulin to digest carbs but the cells lock up and don't let the glucose in. The liver then saves it as fat and you get plumper very fast while on a cellular level you are starving. The nervous tissue is first to get damaged, hence the brain's drastic way to rise an alert.

Ideally, get your sugar checked 1-2 hours after a sugar-dominated meal: if healthy, the sugar level ought to be normal again after 2 hours the latest; in a diabetic it sinks much slower and after 2 hours will still be high. (this is basically a way to cheat your gp into performing a glucose tolerance test. They often refuse the test if your long term sugar or hungry sugar are normal - which they frequently are in many diabetics as we instinctively avoid carb-rich food.)

Might be worth the try.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

I've had depression on and off for years, and I know the cause. Hoping to deal with it when I finally move into my own place. Last year was the kick that said "move now... Or else."