Science Tidbits #7

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Science Tidbits #7

Post by scottydog »

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

The thing is this has been a concern (or outright phobia) about technology for a century or better. There were predictions of disaster from everything from the invention of the electric light to robots in the 70s and 80s. But yet here we are.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, new technology always scares people. Humankind will schlep onward.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

A sad passing that went unnoticed and unsung. Franz de Waal wrote a great book titled The Ape and the Sushi Master which was one of the more profound things I've read in recent decades. The book is a bit old at this point but still quite instructional. He wrote others mostly concerning chimpanzees, but that was the book that introduced me to his ideas.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Aw, that's a shame. I'm sure I've read some of his work on Bonobos. He was certainly correct that human behavior can be considered a special case of general ape behavior.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

This is interesting.

What are they looking for? Aliens? Secret Chinese Moon missions? :unsure:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Asteroid detection seems like the best option, though most articles I could find didn't give any reason why Space Force is involved.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, why the Space Force? There would have to be some military concern involved. I wonder if they will decided to take over more dormant satellites. Maybe the ISS when it's decommissioned. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Looks like a scientist has finally been able to communicate with an advanced nonhuman intelligence. Check it out.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"CETI." :lol:

She's right that this is a great task for AI, because it's great at processing and organizing huge amounts of information superhumanly fast. They'll also need to catalogue or film the whales' behaviors at the same time as their speech, as well as everything they can about the immediate environment. Then they might have enough to use the AI to start simple conversations-- and then maybe the whales will actually participate in teaching the AI, once they understand what's going on.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:24 pm
She's right that this is a great task for AI, because it's great at processing and organizing huge amounts of information superhumanly fast. They'll also need to catalogue or film the whales' behaviors at the same time as their speech, as well as everything they can about the immediate environment. Then they might have enough to use the AI to start simple conversations-- and then maybe the whales will actually participate in teaching the AI, once they understand what's going on.
Maybe AI will have us talking to all animals. Perhaps I can verbally persuade the squirrels from pillaging my bird feeder, and the rabbits from nibbling at our garden veggies. Maybe AI could even have us talking to insects, or even plants. Just imagine the third-party mediations with mosquitos, with us trying to get them to stop biting us.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, I doubt if there are many species that have actual languages-- maybe some cetaceans, some primates, and a handful of birds. AI may be able to get desired reactions out of other animals with certain calls, but I wonder how much animal communication also involves context, like scents and body language. Insects will be a particularly hard nut to crack-- I suspect that they have a complex means of communication, but probably more similar to communication between neurons than an actual language.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:51 pm
Well, I doubt if there are many species that have actual languages-- maybe some cetaceans, some primates, and a handful of birds. AI may be able to get desired reactions out of other animals with certain calls, but I wonder how much animal communication also involves context, like scents and body language. Insects will be a particularly hard nut to crack-- I suspect that they have a complex means of communication, but probably more similar to communication between neurons than an actual language.
Good point. I guess well find out the limits of what AI can do in this area, and in many areas.

Here's one of my favorite current day philosophers talking about AI technology.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

He makes a valid point, but I'm not sure if he thinks it's good or bad. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.