Infirmary Thread #21: Say "Aaargh!!"

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Infirmary Thread #21: Say "Aaargh!!"

Post by Lupine »

Everyone will be happy to hear that I sliced my fingers pretty good while working on the dryer.
EDIT: and I just realized that it's at the same spot I got cut really badly by the can lid a few years ago. :mellow:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. :no:

Is it finally working?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm
Everyone will be happy to hear that I sliced my fingers pretty good while working on the dryer.
EDIT: and I just realized that it's at the same spot I got cut really badly by the can lid a few years ago. :mellow:
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear this, and I'm also sorry for joking that each home fix-it project sends you to this thread. I'm shocked that Gary doesn't report injuries here with all his home-improvement activities.

So now you'll have a scar on top of a scar?
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 am
Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear this, and I'm also sorry for joking that each home fix-it project sends you to this thread. I'm shocked that Gary doesn't report injuries here with all his home-improvement activities.

So now you'll have a scar on top of a scar?
I'm lucky to still have a finger. :lol:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

How's that finger feeling?
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I have a scab now but it's healing up good.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

I have another torn meniscus, but in the right knee. I also have bursitis in my right hip. Looks like I am going to spend more time with my orthopedic.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Ouch. :no:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oh, no. Are you in a lot of pain?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Cayla wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:43 pm
I have another torn meniscus, but in the right knee. I also have bursitis in my right hip. Looks like I am going to spend more time with my orthopedic.
Oh Cayla, that's terrible. Are you able to walk?
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

I'm so proud of everyone, keeping this thread active. Brings tears to my eyes. :sob:

I can't think of any injuries in February, nor March, just a lot of really bad migraines. The more active the weather, the worst they get.

A couple of weeks ago, I was swinging the spade along as I walked to the garden, and caught the back of my leg. Banged the top, sharp corner of the spade into my calf, left a small cut and bruise, which grew overnight into a nice sized dark purple bruise. I still have it, though it's faded.

Sometime last week, the wind took out a tree that landed in Promise's lot. Bent the 16 foot gate on the south side of his lot, but didn't break down the north wall. He was fine. I crawled in to move broken limbs around to keep him safe, and slipped off a log, catching another with the front of my leg, so got scratched up. It's been raining a lot, so we still haven't gotten it all removed (the gate is in need of a lot of work to ever be used in any way, so we need to put in a solid wall). I saved that tree when I was little, my dad was going to cut it down, but I begged him to not hurt it, I thought it was ugly, like me, so it needed saving, and this is how it repays me some 55+ years later. :D

I saw my pcp doctor in January. I mentioned the problem I've been having with my right ear. I told him it seems like it's clogged, but it's not, not really, and it always happens after I have done some work. I tell him since my blood tests say I'm slightly dehydrated, i wondered if that might have something to do with it? Or maybe because I don't always eat before I work? He looks into both ears, declares them clear, and asks if I had any other questions. I admit, I was so dumbfounded by this, I just told him no. I specifically said my right ear, and, that it's not really clogged. What good did it do him to look into both ears? So, as usual, I leave there with no answers.
I did some research, then increased my water intake (being dehydrated is it's own story), and surprise! No more clogged ear. Plus, my tinnitus, when I drink more, quiets down a bit, and my hearing improves. It's a decade long habit I am learning to break, it's going to take time.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Huge misunderstanding! Your tree only meant to give you a hug and underestimated its own strength.

The doc looked in both ears to compare them. Ears differ very strongly in everyone, like fingerprints, therefore there's no general rule for what is normal. To get an idea of what your ears usually look like, he had to compare the sick one with the healthy one.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Glad the ear's improving, Elara. I'm surprised dehydration can do that.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I should probably do more to hydrate. I get popping noises in my ears and I have some tinnitus.
Elara wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:01 am
I'm so proud of everyone, keeping this thread active. Brings tears to my eyes. :sob:
Unlike the physical injuries. :lol:
I can't think of any injuries in February, nor March, just a lot of really bad migraines. The more active the weather, the worst they get.
I don't suppose hydrating will help that.
I saved that tree when I was little, my dad was going to cut it down, but I begged him to not hurt it, I thought it was ugly, like me, so it needed saving, and this is how it repays me some 55+ years later. :D
Trees being trees, they think very slowly. Suddenly it thought to itself, "Wait! Ugly? Me? Why you--!" :lol:
He looks into both ears, declares them clear, and asks if I had any other questions. I admit, I was so dumbfounded by this, I just told him no.
I'm dumbfounded too. That's a bad area for doctors. :(
huggle wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:35 pm
Huge misunderstanding! Your tree only meant to give you a hug and underestimated its own strength.
It's those Ent genes.

Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

Got a wind migraine today, and it's not really easing up with the decrease in wind tonight. :no:
huggle wrote:
That's a hug I will pass on. :eek:
huggle wrote:
The doc looked in both ears to compare them. Ears differ very strongly in everyone, like fingerprints, therefore there's no general rule for what is normal. To get an idea of what your ears usually look like, he had to compare the sick one with the healthy one.
I get that part, but he just went from my ears are clear to apparently deciding that was it, nothing more needed to be said. If he had looked in both and talked about what might be causing the clogged feeling, it would have made sense, as it was, it felt like he was doing that to appease me.
Lupine wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:00 pm
Glad the ear's improving, Elara. I'm surprised dehydration can do that.
Thanks! Surprised me, too, but I haven't had any problem since keeping up on my water intake.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:48 pm
I should probably do more to hydrate. I get popping noises in my ears and I have some tinnitus.
When my tinnitus gets worse, I know I've done something wrong, or a medication is not working well for me anymore. Like yesterday, I took a cimetidine because my heartburn was acting up. A couple of nights ago, my heart started racing after taking it, so I wondered if my body was beginning to reject it (basically). Well yesterday, my tinnitus tripled in volume after I took the cimetidine, and sound in my left ear was echoey, then I got a bit dizzy and my heart started racing again. That's the last of that type I can use now, so I'm down to Tums. But yes, a sudden increase in tinnitus is a warning that something ain't right.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I don't suppose hydrating will help that.
Haven't noticed a decrease, but yes, dehydration can cause headaches.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Trees being trees, they think very slowly. Suddenly it thought to itself, "Wait! Ugly? Me? Why you--!" :lol:
It took 55+ years to understand what I said? Yeah, okay, that makes sense. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I'm dumbfounded too. That's a bad area for doctors. :(
Yep, and as I've said before, he isn't the first doctor to do this, and I admit, I'm not as adamant about my own care, not like when my son was little and I called to chew out the doctor who ignored me the day before, telling me my son was fine (my son's temp hit 103 that night). When it's me, I tend to find it almost comical that these doctors think the bullsh*t they are spreading, is actually working. This might change when I can finally afford hearing aids. I can't be as cutting with my remarks when I can't hear exactly what is being said to me, so it takes the fun out of it for me.