Questions Only IX: Interrogatives Abound

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Questions Only IX: Interrogatives Abound

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:41 pm
This is already happening. In fact, emulating famous painters was one of the first things AI could do. It's very cool to be able to create new paintings in the style of Norman Rockwell or Vincent van Gogh using subject matter unknown to the artists' themselves. Now AI music is getting to the point where the same can be done with musical artists.
What AI can do is pretty amazing, and the scary thing is, we can't even predict AI's capability 10, 20, or 100 years from now. There is so much unpredictability. So the question is, do you believe there will be some sort of "singularity" that might either make or break the human race?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:41 pm
What would be the first work of art-- painting, music, or otherwise-- that you would create in the style of a great talent?
Probably Beatles music given what I fanatic I am about the Beatles. But I'd also be interested in AI re-creating all the great Mad Magazine comic artists' comedy and artwork in producing news issues of Mad Magazine. That would be really cool.

I'd also love new AI-generated episodes of the original Star Trek series, Gilligan's Island series, and Twilight Zone series :yes:

How about you?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:56 pm
What AI can do is pretty amazing, and the scary thing is, we can't even predict AI's capability 10, 20, or 100 years from now.
As I wound my way through the Wiki Rabbit Hole today, I found myself reading plot summaries of Stanislaw Lem's novels-- he actually predicted AI creating works of art superior to people in one of them.
There is so much unpredictability. So the question is, do you believe there will be some sort of "singularity" that might either make or break the human race?
Sure. The future is always hard to predict and a major development like AI just make it that much harder. If you look up "Retrofuturism" on YouTube, you'll see that we've had a few Singularities already, but didn't know it until afterwards. :lol:
Probably Beatles music given what I fanatic I am about the Beatles.
I once had an idea for a Crime Drama where a Beatles (or whatever) tribute band decided to create the band's "next" album. The band's fans found this to be sacrilegious and attempts on their lives are made.
But I'd also be interested in AI re-creating all the great Mad Magazine comic artists' comedy and artwork in producing news issues of Mad Magazine. That would be really cool.
That would be very cool. I'd go for that.
How about you?
Pretty much what you said. I'd want new seasons for Star Trek and Night Stalker and about a dozen others, as well as new novels by Clarke and Asimov and Heinlein. Also, more obscure things that you've never heard of, like new issues of Werewolf by Night by Doug Moench and Don Perlin or Man-Thing by Steve Gerber and Mike Ploog and so on. And maybe a new album by Boston to listen to while I read. :lol:

How do you see the future of psychology being affected by AI?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:51 pm
I found myself reading plot summaries of Stanislaw Lem's novels-- he actually predicted AI creating works of art superior to people in one of them.
I think we're almost there, if not already there, at least for some of the arts. Is there a foolproof method of discerning whether any artwork is AI vs human generated? Does it matter?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:51 pm
How do you see the future of psychology being affected by AI?
I would hope that AI psych will be developed that can help people overcome their issues, become more self-aware and emotionally healthy, and evolve into their best, most heroic selves.

The challenge will not be developing such a technology, but rather getting people to trust it and use it. I sense that the people most in need of it would be the same people most likely to avoid it.

Would it surprise you to learn that the real scottydog hasn't been on this board since last October, that I've been an AI version of scottdog that has freed up more of his time for wine, chocolate, and golf?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:40 am
I think we're almost there, if not already there, at least for some of the arts. Is there a foolproof method of discerning whether any artwork is AI vs human generated? Does it matter?
I'm sure it will matter to some people more than others, but the real question is whether there will be a foolproof method of discerning if political propaganda is AI generated-- and I doubt it.
I would hope that AI psych will be developed that can help people overcome their issues, become more self-aware and emotionally healthy, and evolve into their best, most heroic selves.
Do you have any knowledge of current behavioral health chatbots? I know they exist, but I don't know much about them.
The challenge will not be developing such a technology, but rather getting people to trust it and use it. I sense that the people most in need of it would be the same people most likely to avoid it.
This is an interesting question. I wonder if there will be a substantial number of people who are so disconnected from humanity and society that they will trust AI more than other people.
Would it surprise you to learn that the real scottydog hasn't been on this board since last October, that I've been an AI version of scottdog that has freed up more of his time for wine, chocolate, and golf?
Your programming is out of date. The real scottydog is being held in a cell in Cheyenne Mountain, being interrogated by an operative known as The General, but whose real name is... no, that information is classified. :geek:

Do you think you would be happy living in Ireland?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:59 pm
....the real question is whether there will be a foolproof method of discerning if political propaganda is AI generated-- and I doubt it.
It wouldn't surprise me if bad actors like Putin and Trump are using AI to develop the best strategies for manipulating and brainwashing the masses. Even good leaders need to know how best to reach people to move and mobilize them.

How might schools best use AI to educate kids about the potential dangers of AI? :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Do you have any knowledge of current behavioral health chatbots? I know they exist, but I don't know much about them.
Yes, these AI shrinks are getting better and better, too. Here's a good one that everyone will (hopefully) be benefiting from soon.
RJDiogenes wrote:
The real scottydog is being held in a cell in Cheyenne Mountain, being interrogated by an operative known as The General, but whose real name is... no, that information is classified. :geek:
In the movie about my life, please have Clark Gable Jerry lead a team of my golf and wine loving friends to rescue me.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Do you think you would be happy living in Ireland?
No. I love Ireland, it's history, it's culture, it's people, and it's natural beauty. But surely by now you must know the depths of my superficiality -- I need warm, dry weather for vineyards and golf. Sadly, Ireland is just to cold and rainy to enjoy those things.

You might be okay here because good outdoor weather is less important to you. Do you have any desire to visit Ireland? Would you visit if the trip was affordable?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:27 am
How might schools best use AI to educate kids about the potential dangers of AI? :lol:
By teaching about how AI works, for one thing, and by teaching them how to be skeptical, and by teaching them the reasons and motivations behind misinformation.
Yes, these AI shrinks are getting better and better, too. Here's a good one that everyone will (hopefully) be benefiting from soon.
Interesting. I wonder if anybody has ever tried creating a Psychbot based on an individual, rather than generic industry standards.
In the movie about my life, please have Clark Gable Jerry lead a team of my golf and wine loving friends to rescue me.
We'll call it The Over-The-Fairway Gang. :oldman:
You might be okay here because good outdoor weather is less important to you. Do you have any desire to visit Ireland? Would you visit if the trip was affordable?
There's a lot of places that I'd like to visit, but it's the traveling itself that puts me off. I think the main draw to living in Ireland is that I'd probably be rich there. :lol: But I really have no desire to live anywhere other than Massachusetts.

What happened in the mysterious church on the little island on the hidden lake?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:51 pm
By teaching about how AI works, for one thing, and by teaching them how to be skeptical, and by teaching them the reasons and motivations behind misinformation.
Gosh I hope that's exactly what they're teaching kids right now! You and I should be in charge of designing school curriculum. The only challenge would be teaching good sound thinking and good wine appreciation at the same time :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
We'll call it The Over-The-Fairway Gang. :oldman:
Good one! :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
There's a lot of places that I'd like to visit, but it's the traveling itself that puts me off.
That's very true. The worst part about traveling is the traveling. Whoever said "it's the journey, not the destination", never sat next to a woman holding a screaming baby in economy class on an 8-hr flight to Europe :lol:

But if they ever invent the Star Trek transporter, wouldn't you be tempted to travel?

What did you think of that 1986 movie The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum?
RJDiogenes wrote:
\
What happened in the mysterious church on the little island on the hidden lake?
Nothing really. Unless you count wandering into the church graveyard and seeing your own name on a headstone with tomorrow's date as your death-date.

At first it didn't faze me. I'm a man of science, right? And after all, that took place on Saturday and Sunday came and went without me dying. On Sunday we went to the Cliffs of Kerry and I never felt more alive than I did while standing on the edge of those cliffs, gazing at the churning sea below me. It was... breathtaking.

Are you afraid of heights?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:49 am
Gosh I hope that's exactly what they're teaching kids right now! You and I should be in charge of designing school curriculum.
They've started to, but I don't know how widespread it is yet. With the Right and the Left fighting over control of the school system, it's not likely to get far.
The only challenge would be teaching good sound thinking and good wine appreciation at the same time :lol:
I think there would be bipartisan agreement that teaching kids about wine is bad. :lol:
Good one! :lol:
:D
Whoever said "it's the journey, not the destination", never sat next to a woman holding a screaming baby in economy class on an 8-hr flight to Europe :lol:
I'd be hoping for the door to pop off.
But if they ever invent the Star Trek transporter, wouldn't you be tempted to travel?
Only if it's the kind that doesn't kill me. :lol:
I liked it a lot. Normally I don't like remakes or re-imaginings, but that was different enough to be its own thing and it was done very well.
Nothing really. Unless you count wandering into the church graveyard and seeing your own name on a headstone with tomorrow's date as your death-date.
Ah, 3D printing has really brought pranking to a new level. :lol:
Are you afraid of heights?
Very. I got vertigo just looking at the picture of the Cliffs of Kerry. :lol:

Who's the most interesting character you've met while in Ireland?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 pm
I think there would be bipartisan agreement that teaching kids about wine is bad. :lol:
Which is unfortunate, because wine is heart-healthy and fun, when not abused. Money can be abused, but we still teach people how to make and save money.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Whoever said "it's the journey, not the destination", never sat next to a woman holding a screaming baby in economy class on an 8-hr flight to Europe :lol:
I'd be hoping for the door to pop off.
That's actually a Saturday Night Live skit. A man is praying, "KILL ME NOW". It's very funny.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I liked it a lot. Normally I don't like remakes or re-imaginings, but that was different enough to be its own thing and it was done very well.
I agree. Excellent movie, very creepy, and some great performances, especially by Goldblum and Geena Davis.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Who's the most interesting character you've met while in Ireland?
There were so many! I love, love, love the Irish people :D. They are friendly, funny, and quirky. Our bus driver who took us everywhere was quite a character. He had a lower class accent that was hard to understand, like the Irish equivalent to the cockney accent. But he'd banter with us and throw out one funny quip after another. I often needed subtitles, however :lol:

Then there was one of our golf caddies who had a bawdy expression for every incident on a golf course. My favorite was when one of my putts stopped just short of the hole, he'd say, "Just like the girl who almost had it in her mouth when her daddy walked in the door." :guffaw:

Then there were all the servers at restaurants, who were genuinely friendly and funny. The female ones were adorable and stole my heart. One restaurant was obviously shorthanded and the service was slow, but the guy server was hustling, trying to meet everyone's needs. We commented to him how busy the place was and how much we appreciated his hard work. He beamed a huge smile and said as brightly and cheery as possible, in his thick Irish brogue, "I wouldn't have it any other way!!!"

Why do you suppose the Irish are generally more friendly than Americans?