Check-In 134: George Reed Sophrosyne Tally Ho

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-In 134: George Reed Sophrosyne Tally Ho

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.But a Buddhist-themed superhero would be cool
2.Does Muku have any interest in superheroes, like Wonder Woman or whatever?
1 why?
2 she likes cartoons....

yesterdays plans changed as lisa had to work til 7 due to a staff member walking out without giving notice. so i had little one a little longer. we went to the plot to plant pumpkin seedlings/water/poick dandelions, then chalked on the sidewalk.....
art.jpg
today i nhave 3 hrs work, 4 zooms and will either go to the farm shop and plot, just the plot, or do some study - weather dependent
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Tuesday, everyone :hello:

Not sure what we'll do today, but the cliffs of Moher are a possibility, weather permitting. It really does rain a lot here and we want maximum visibility.
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:48 am
we went to the plot to plant pumpkin seedlings/water/poick dandelions, then chalked on the sidewalk.....art.jpg
I used to love chalking up sidewalks and roads. That pic is great because I can see your shadow taking the pic :D
Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:04 pm
Everything is still blooming. :as: Rainy season is well over but stuff here blooms as long as it can.
Funny how California's rain this past winter began when The Wife and I were there in mid-late January and continued into April. San Francisco, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles each got 25 inches of rain this season -- very high totals for the latter two cities.
Gary wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:49 pm
Got my cat (The Nerd) to the vet today. Sure enough, she was running a temperature about 3º-4º higher than normal. I detailed to the veterinarian how her behavior rapidly changed starting on Thursday (actually Wednesday night by not sleeping with me) and how she just looked miserable. Turns out she was dehydrated.
Glad to hear she's all right now. But it is curious how a cat could get so dehydrated :conf:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

The day lies ahead like a stretch of sidewalk, and I am the chalk. :cooldude:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 pm
Today's golf at Tralee was fabulous, the best golf course we've ever played. It was designed by Arnold Palmer in 1982. I just wish I had played better.
Did you remember to leave a cookie on the Leprechaun offering plate on your way to the tee?
The lake wasn't on the maps, so I'm guessing that only privileged locals knew it existed -- our tour guide being one of them. The lake was surrounded by tall mountains, and a strange animated fog strangled the countryside on all sides. There was an ancient church on an island in the middle of the lake. We rowed out to see it, got out of the boat, ambled a few yards, and that's when it happened....
That's a good start. :D :book:
If a conscientious objector can get out of the draft, they should be able to get out of jury duty. Or maybe not :shrug:
I think it's pretty easy to not get selected for a jury if you want. :crazy:
I think you're onto something. The most fantastic ruins are fantastic because they are surrounded by sheep and are shrouded in fog on a lonely, rocky hillside.
Imagine seeing stuff like that on your morning walk every day.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 pm
Arghh. I hope she didn't come close to falling for the scam. No doubt they wanted her bank info :no:
I think she was dubious, but a little hopeful. The alarming part was that they said they were coming to her house. I told her to call the police if anybody actually showed up.
How do you get AI to make an image of an old gray-haired guy without a beard? I'm tried a million times and they always put a beard on anyone I describe as an older man.
In this case, I stopped asking for an old man and just asked for gray hair-- it then actually gave me snow-white hair, which I then darkened in Photoshop.
Lupine wrote:
Good grief. :no:
They might have been from "Publishing Clearinghouse" as well as we used to get calls from them. Scammers.
Yeah, probably the same ones. jgc ended up calling the police proactively, so at least they are aware. Maybe they'll put out some kind of alert or something.
Awesome! :thumbsup:
I was pretty happy with it, although it took a million tries. :lol:
Gary wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:49 pm
Got my cat (The Nerd) to the vet today. Sure enough, she was running a temperature about 3º-4º higher than normal. I detailed to the veterinarian how her behavior rapidly changed starting on Thursday (actually Wednesday night by not sleeping with me) and how she just looked miserable. Turns out she was dehydrated. Fortunately, the vet was able to draw plenty of blood to have the lab run tests on her numbers since she's being treated for a kidney deficiency. The vet put her on an IV for a few minutes and used the port to administer some pain medication. I ended up going home with a hydrated cat and some medicine for her for the next few days. The vet said she'd start to improve "in about six hours". She was very perked up when we arrived home and, once let out of her carrier, proceeded to patrol the house. Her demeanor and appearance improved with each passing hour to the point she was very quickly back to her usual self.
That's great, but did the vet say anything about why she was dehydrated? I'd worry that the kidney medication is causing it.
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:48 am
why?
Because one of the cool things about superheroes is the variety of their personalities and philosophies and modus operandi and costumes and stuff. You might look like that graphic that Lupy posted in the Birthday Thread. :lol:
she likes cartoons....
On TV? What does she watch?
yesterdays plans changed as lisa had to work til 7 due to a staff member walking out without giving notice.
I hope she got paid overtime. She may be getting more extra hours while they try to replace the quitter.
so i had little one a little longer. we went to the plot to plant pumpkin seedlings/water/poick dandelions, then chalked on the sidewalk.....
art.jpg
She's a cutie. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:57 am
Not sure what we'll do today, but the cliffs of Moher
I'm getting vertigo just thinking about it.

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, chalkers.

It's AMKD Awareness Day! :conf:
Also Honesty Day (and I'm honestly not sure what AMKD is. Something to do with kidney donations maybe)
And International Jazz Day/
And Day of the Child (which honestly sounds like a horror movie).

As for here it might be time to put the swamp cooler in as it's getting hot and often hotter than the forecasts are predicting.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:57 am
Not sure what we'll do today, but the cliffs of Moher are a possibility,
I would have hated being the guy who discovered those. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:23 am

The day lies ahead like a stretch of sidewalk, and I am the chalk. :cooldude:
Good one! :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes wrote:
If a conscientious objector can get out of the draft, they should be able to get out of jury duty. Or maybe not :shrug:
I don't know. Some woman back in the 90s wore a Starfleet uniform to jury duty and still got picked as an alternate. She only got booted after talking to the media.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Good grief. :no:
They might have been from "Publishing Clearinghouse" as well as we used to get calls from them. Scammers.
Yeah, probably the same ones. jgc ended up calling the police proactively, so at least they are aware. Maybe they'll put out some kind of alert or something.
Unfortunately it's doubtful. Back when my mother was having chemo treatments her and dad where off getting her treatment when someone like that called saying we'd won a prize but they needed to come over to pick up a $600 fee. I wasn't in a good place emotionally and had the urge to ruin someone's life so I started calling various agencies to see who I could report this too. But nobody really wanted to do anything even though I had a good amount of contact info for this bunch. :shrug:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

Well, that was another day of lounging and reading wherein I got practically nothing done. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:43 pm
It's AMKD Awareness Day! :conf:
Also Honesty Day (and I'm honestly not sure what AMKD is. Something to do with kidney donations maybe)
Wise of them to have an awareness day and not make us aware. :lol:
I would have hated being the guy who discovered those. :lol:
There's a memorial for him at the bottom.
Good one! :thumbsup:
Thank you. :lol:
I don't know. Some woman back in the 90s wore a Starfleet uniform to jury duty and still got picked as an alternate. She only got booted after talking to the media.
Oh, yeah, I remember her. I guess Trekkies don't count as crazy anymore. :(
Unfortunately it's doubtful. Back when my mother was having chemo treatments her and dad where off getting her treatment when someone like that called saying we'd won a prize but they needed to come over to pick up a $600 fee. I wasn't in a good place emotionally and had the urge to ruin someone's life so I started calling various agencies to see who I could report this too. But nobody really wanted to do anything even though I had a good amount of contact info for this bunch. :shrug:
That's disappointing. Even if it's hard to prosecute this stuff, you'd think they'd at least want to put a warning up somewhere.

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today was so rainy that we eschewed the Cliffs of Moher and instead toured the famous and ancient Clonmacnoise monastary. Afterward, we walked around the city of Galway and had fish and chips at an old pub.
Lupine wrote:
Sometimes I swear you are making these up :lol:
Lupine wrote:
As for here it might be time to put the swamp cooler in as it's getting hot and often hotter than the forecasts are predicting.
It's also that time of year when Cayla mentions that I'm obsessed with your swamp cooler :lol: Someday I hope to see one because it's really hard to imagine a cooler shaped like a swamp :conf:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Did you remember to leave a cookie on the Leprechaun offering plate on your way to the tee?
A cookie? Doh!! I've been leaving Ritz crackers! :mad:
RJDiogenes wrote:
My plan is always to say that I'm a psychologist who studies juries and all the ways that juries screw up verdicts :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
The most fantastic ruins are fantastic because they are surrounded by sheep and are shrouded in fog on a lonely, rocky hillside.
Imagine seeing stuff like that on your morning walk every day.
People here really do see ancient ruins everyday, the same way you and I see trees and sidewalks. Bits and pieces of ruins are everywhere -- a small dilapidated medieval fort here, a half tower from the 6th century there. I'll try to remember to take a pic of one of these random ruins.
RJDiogenes wrote:
In this case, I stopped asking for an old man and just asked for gray hair-- it then actually gave me snow-white hair, which I then darkened in Photoshop.
That's a good solution. I find it interesting the AI is incapable of producing an old long-haired man unless the man is also bearded. Somehow, in all its vast records, there is no one who looks like you :lol:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 pm
Today was so rainy that we eschewed the Cliffs of Moher and instead toured the famous and ancient Clonmacnoise monastary.
If memory serves that's one of the oldest strongholds of Christianity in northern Europe.
scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
It's also that time of year when Cayla mentions that I'm obsessed with your swamp cooler :lol: Someday I hope to see one because it's really hard to imagine a cooler shaped like a swamp :conf:
:lol:
scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Sometimes I swear you are making these up :lol:
Oh, it's real enough. :lol:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:05 pm
scottydog wrote:
Today was so rainy that we eschewed the Cliffs of Moher and instead toured the famous and ancient Clonmacnoise monastary.
If memory serves that's one of the oldest strongholds of Christianity in northern Europe.
You are correct! It was both a stronghold and a weakhold, because Clonmacnoise -- located right at the most heavily traveled crossroads in Ireland -- was constantly plundered by Vikings, Normans, and Brits.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.That pic is great because I can see your shadow taking the pic
2.Because one of the cool things about superheroes is the variety of their personalities and philosophies and modus operandi and costumes and stuff.
3.Lupy posted in the Birthday Thread.
4.On TV? What does she watch?
5.I hope she got paid overtime. She may be getting more extra hours while they try to replace the quitter.
6.Also Honesty Day
7.famous and ancient Clonmacnoise monastary.
1 yes it was difficult to keep it off the art work but get close enough in
2 i mean....what has THAT got to do with BUDDHISM? we work on our own minds - are not superheroes 'beating baddies'
3 oops -oh yes- birthday thread.... oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you grape-man!
4 whatever is on....she talks about lion king and peppa pig and paw patrol and super powers...but i havent seen any tv for years...so i dont know the shows...tho i know some characters from her sticker activity books
5 she wil;l get the hours but not the poay - shes salaried at this job. at least shes working for my client today - thats a 8hr pay for easy work. its basically just cooking companionship a bit of cleamning...not stressing over staff who are soick or late or dont show up and manning the pho0nes
6 i have finally gotten an honesty plant to grow from the seeds btw
7....oh.....no monks, just stones, sigh. not much value if is a dead monastery instead of a working one.its past value.

oksies. todaysies....3 zooms, study, chores, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzthen nightshift.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Ugh. I've been up half the night with a sinus headache and watery eyes. I guess I'll be sitting around with my eyes closed for a while....
scottydog wrote:
I'll read that later when the glowing white screen doesn't hurt my eyes. :lol:
My plan is always to say that I'm a psychologist who studies juries and all the ways that juries screw up verdicts :lol:
And wave around a sheaf of papers, shouting, "Look! I brought my research!"
People here really do see ancient ruins everyday, the same way you and I see trees and sidewalks. Bits and pieces of ruins are everywhere -- a small dilapidated medieval fort here, a half tower from the 6th century there. I'll try to remember to take a pic of one of these random ruins.
I would love being in an area like that.
That's a good solution. I find it interesting the AI is incapable of producing an old long-haired man unless the man is also bearded. Somehow, in all its vast records, there is no one who looks like you :lol:
I'm fringe. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:52 am
You are correct! It was both a stronghold and a weakhold, because Clonmacnoise -- located right at the most heavily traveled crossroads in Ireland -- was constantly plundered by Vikings, Normans, and Brits.
Who were also plundering each other....
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:54 am
i mean....what has THAT got to do with BUDDHISM? we work on our own minds - are not superheroes 'beating baddies'
But you help people.
oops -oh yes- birthday thread.... oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you grape-man!
Thank you. :grape:
whatever is on....she talks about lion king and peppa pig and paw patrol and super powers...but i havent seen any tv for years...so i dont know the shows...tho i know some characters from her sticker activity books
I'm vaguely aware of some of those.
she wil;l get the hours but not the poay - shes salaried at this job.
That sucks. That's how my job at BMC was.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

good morning :hello:

another night with no sleep. my toilet was running continuously and then overflowed. I usedevery towel I own on the bathroom floor.
I own on the bathroom floor. and it leaked into the downstairs apartment. My bedroom carpet is soaked.Iy soaked down into the first floor apt. and their carpet is also soaked. I ended up calling the people who live right next to me. They both came over and managed to get the water shut off. maintenance has been here. I don't know what he did, except carry all the towels into the laundry room, and toss them in the washing machine.i'I'll wash them later today. the maintenance guy said he'd be back later. he brought a super-duper fan to run and hopefully dry the carpet some. I had also started a small fan earlier.

when this first happened, I wanted an extra strength Xanax, then I wanted to cry. I was in the middle of texting someone, when the phone shut off. I put it on the charger for an hour or so. now I can finish that text.

I wend down and back up the stairs twice today! Be proud of me.the first time was to bring in a package that got delivered. but I had to leave the package and my cane down at the bottom ,because I couldn't carry both of them and make my way up the stairs at the same time.the downstairs neighbor broughththem up for me when he came to tell me their bathroom was getting flooded, too.

Well, the coffee has finished brewing, so I'll go get a cup.

I'll try to check in more often.

I just remembered that scotty asked me how I was doing. Well, I feel pretty good.physically, I'm doing about the same. Still can't use my left hand. I've been taking a multi vitamin since I got home from rehab, and I feel pretty good. Actually,I feel better than I have in a long time.

OK, that's it for now. I'll check in again soon(I hope)
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, annual celebrators.

It's Beltane!
And Walpurgisnacht! :witch:
And May Day!
And the birthday of some historical figure. An author I think.

As for here some shopping is in the cards.
scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:05 pm
scottydog wrote:
Sorry about that. :blush:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:13 am

Ugh. I've been up half the night with a sinus headache and watery eyes. I guess I'll be sitting around with my eyes closed for a while....
Allergies?
jgc wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:37 am
good morning :hello:
Welcome back! :hug:
another night with no sleep. my toilet was running continuously and then overflowed. I usedevery towel I own on the bathroom floor.
I own on the bathroom floor. and it leaked into the downstairs apartment. My bedroom carpet is soaked.Iy soaked down into the first floor apt. and their carpet is also soaked. I ended up calling the people who live right next to me. They both came over and managed to get the water shut off. maintenance has been here. I don't know what he did, except carry all the towels into the laundry room, and toss them in the washing machine.i'I'll wash them later today. the maintenance guy said he'd be back later. he brought a super-duper fan to run and hopefully dry the carpet some. I had also started a small fan earlier.
:no: Wish we lived closer. That was fairly easy to fix.
I wend down and back up the stairs twice today! Be proud of me.
We are! :yes:
Do so!
I just remembered that scotty asked me how I was doing. Well, I feel pretty good.physically, I'm doing about the same. Still can't use my left hand. I've been taking a multi vitamin since I got home from rehab, and I feel pretty good. Actually,I feel better than I have in a long time.
:hug:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today was the Cliffs of Moher, and the dolmens on the burrens. Check them out. The history here is extraordinary.
Madeliaette wrote:
....what has THAT got to do with BUDDHISM? we work on our own minds - are not superheroes 'beating baddies'
Superheroism has nothing to do with Buddhism. But I still maintain that a Bodhisattva is a heroic figure. You, Maddie The Great, are a true Bodhisattva :worship:
Madeliaette wrote:
oh.....no monks, just stones, sigh. not much value if is a dead monastery instead of a working one.its past value.
Only historical value. One thing I admire is the human spirit -- here in Ireland and everywhere. Human beings once led such physically difficult lives that were nasty, brutish, and short. For the most part we are now challenged spiritually, emotionally, socially.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sorry to hear this, especially on your birthday. You don't get sick very often.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I'll read that later when the glowing white screen doesn't hurt my eyes. :lol:
Yikes. You know you're not well when even doing basic computer work is aversive :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I would love being in an area like that.
I think you'd love Ireland because (a) it's in your blood, (b) you love history, and (c) the Irish people. They are the friendliest, funniest, bawdiest people I've ever met :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:
Clonmacnoise -- located right at the most heavily traveled crossroads in Ireland -- was constantly plundered by Vikings, Normans, and Brits.
Who were also plundering each other....
Very true. Evidence of Man's Inhumanity to Man is everywhere. It's awful. Yet, it reminds me of what you're always saying about how much things have improved over the years. So feel good knowing that I'm actually paying attention to what you're always saying :lol:
jgc wrote:
Oh my goodness, all of this sounds awful. You are a hero for dealing with all this so very well.
jgc wrote:
when this first happened, I wanted an extra strength Xanax, then I wanted to cry. I was in the middle of texting someone, when the phone shut off. I put it on the charger for an hour or so. now I can finish that text.
I'm so glad the problem was dealt with and that you got lots of help. What a horrible night!
jgc wrote:
We are ALWAYS proud of you. You've overcome a lot :yes:
jgc wrote:
I'm thrilled to hear this. Keep taking good care of yourself and keep checking in here whenever you can :thumbsup:
Lupine wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:49 pm
It's Beltane!
Never heard of this, but upon looking it up, Beltane is a very important marker of the beginning of summer. Very cool. We should all be celebrating Beltane.
Lupine wrote:
Okay, this one is a bit odd. But it's a festival involving food and wine, so that makes me happy :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Not just an author, but an artist and agitator. I believe his likeness appears in many wanted posters in post offices.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

I guess we can call this a meditation day, because all I did was sit around with my eyes closed. I did remember that it was Trash Day, though.
jgc wrote:
They should have a 24-hour hotline for when something like this happens. :no:
I ended up calling the people who live right next to me. They both came over and managed to get the water shut off.
That's good. I remember you saying that they offered to help you.
:hug:
We are. :yes:
Yes, like every day. :D
Lupine wrote:
It's Beltane!
And May Day!
Something to do with a lantern, I think. Or was that the other guy? :lol:
Allergies?
I think I picked something up at the supermarket. Soon after I got home, I came down with a scratchy throat and runny nose. They mostly cleared up and then I went to bed and got a steel spike through my head. Now it's mostly stinging watery eyes that make looking at the screen painful. So it's actually a lot like those stress headaches that I used to get when I was working.
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:37 pm
Superheroism has nothing to do with Buddhism. But I still maintain that a Bodhisattva is a heroic figure. You, Maddie The Great, are a true Bodhisattva :worship:
Possibly... Captain Bodhisattva. :cooldude:
Sorry to hear this, especially on your birthday. You don't get sick very often.
Yeah, great timing. Luckily, the actual party is on Saturday.
Yikes. You know you're not well when even doing basic computer work is aversive :no:
It's very frustrating.
I think you'd love Ireland because (a) it's in your blood, (b) you love history, and (c) the Irish people. They are the friendliest, funniest, bawdiest people I've ever met :lol:
I probably would, although I got a lot of that growing up. :lol:
Very true. Evidence of Man's Inhumanity to Man is everywhere. It's awful. Yet, it reminds me of what you're always saying about how much things have improved over the years. So feel good knowing that I'm actually paying attention to what you're always saying :lol:
:jawdrop: :lol:
Not just an author, but an artist and agitator. I believe his likeness appears in many wanted posters in post offices.
Just what the world needs: Another agitator. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

We just had a nice dinner in the quaint Irish town of LeHinch. Again, I must say, the people here are extremely friendly, jovial, and accommodating to an extreme degree. In short, I'm in love with the Irish people. I feel like I'm one of them and I want to take them all home and adopt them.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:03 pm
I guess we can call this a meditation day, because all I did was sit around with my eyes closed. I did remember that it was Trash Day, though.
Yikes, that sounds like a horrible day. I really hope you have a better day today :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I think I picked something up at the supermarket. Soon after I got home, I came down with a scratchy throat and runny nose. They mostly cleared up and then I went to bed and got a steel spike through my head. Now it's mostly stinging watery eyes that make looking at the screen painful. So it's actually a lot like those stress headaches that I used to get when I was working.
There's nothing worse that having the same feeling as when you were working. Let's hope that whatever it is that you're suffering through, it's short-lived.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Luckily, the actual party is on Saturday.
It must be so great to be part of a family that still holds birthday parties for adult members of the family. My family is so scattered and so few and so dysfunctional, I have no idea what that's like :mellow:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I probably would, although I got a lot of that growing up. :lol:
The Wife and I have been all around the world and we've never met such beautiful people. And women are spectacularly beautiful. When combined with their charming Irish accents, I'm falling in love left and right :lol:
Last edited by scottydog on Thu May 02, 2024 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.