Check-In 134: George Reed Sophrosyne Tally Ho

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: Check-In 134: George Reed Sophrosyne Tally Ho

Post by Gary »

Not sure how she got an infection, but that's what I have to deal with right now. On the plus side, she readily eats the pain pill. HOWEVER, getting her to eat the antibiotic is a challenge. Oh sure, "crush it up and put it in her food" is what people will tell me (such as the vet). Nope. She smells/tastes that and decides she no longer wants the food. The worst part is these suckers are big.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Thursday, everyone :hello:

Today is our last round of golf, and it will be raining :mellow: Tonight we pack for our morning flight home to the US of A :flying:
Gary wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:37 pm
Not sure how she got an infection, but that's what I have to deal with right now. On the plus side, she readily eats the pain pill. HOWEVER, getting her to eat the antibiotic is a challenge. Oh sure, "crush it up and put it in her food" is what people will tell me (such as the vet). Nope. She smells/tastes that and decides she no longer wants the food. The worst part is these suckers are big.
That's unfortunate. I'm not sure what you can do.

On a different note, how are your current home improvement projects going?
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.Ugh. I've been up half the night with a sinus headache and watery eyes. I guess I'll be sitting around with my eyes closed for a while....
2.But you help people.
3.my toilet was running continuously and then overflowed
4.I still maintain that a Bodhisattva is a heroic figure.
5.Human beings once led such physically difficult lives that were nasty, brutish, and short. For the most part we are now challenged spiritually, emotionally, socially.
6.We should all be celebrating Beltane.
I guess we can call this a meditation day, because all I did was sit around with my eyes closed.
8.You, Maddie The Great, are a true Bodhisattva
Possibly... Captain Bodhisattva
9The worst part is these suckers are big.
1 it isnt so bad to ber up all night - me too - at work! when you can catchg up in the day before or following. we had a massive thunderstorn for 2-3 hrs during my work, but i was mostly on call so able to tune in.
2 but that doesnt make us superheroes that go round bashing up baddies - we do so from an internal and external aspect and not for show
3. probabaly the ballcock got stuck - oir fell off and blcoked the exit route?
4 ah yes.... such as HHDL....but can you imagine how th chinese would attack if he went round wearing a cape and tights? its not a Buddhist attitude - we do what we do without 'showing off' or 'claiming fame'.
5 and i suttobrnly go middle way in both directions!
6 something to do with wiccan/pagan culutre i beleive - but i dont want to celebrate this that and the thoer...only Losar & Buddhist special dates, thanks.
7 kinda snap - 7 of my 8 hrs nightshift ios lying on a bed doing nothing but keeping my esrs open in case im called
8 ill just be Maddie, the Buddhist practitioner thanks.
9 slide it into a treat rather than a meal....its less often smelt and more often delightful. if that doesnt work she is a WISE cat - and doesnt want modern medicine but nature - so give her crushed garlic

ok ahead today zoom.work.zoomzoom.study.chores.zoom.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Madeliaette wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:38 am
ah yes.... such as HHDL....but can you imagine how th chinese would attack if he went round wearing a cape and tights? its not a Buddhist attitude - we do what we do without 'showing off' or 'claiming fame'.
Most of the best heroes are unsung, quietly going about their heroic work. Our mothers, for instance. And also carers.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Well, that was a weird night of tossing and turning with fever dreams. Overall, though, it feels like this thing might be almost over.
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:32 pm
Yikes, that sounds like a horrible day. I really hope you have a better day today :yes:
I think I will. We'll see.
It must be so great to be part of a family that still holds birthday parties for adult members of the family. My family is so scattered and so few and so dysfunctional, I have no idea what that's like :mellow:
Weirdly, neither my Niece nor Nephew ever wants a birthday party. :shrug:
The Wife and I have been all around the world and we've never met such beautiful people. And women are spectacularly beautiful. When combined with their charming Irish accents, I'm falling in love left and right :lol:
Uh oh.... :lol:
Gary wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:37 pm
HOWEVER, getting her to eat the antibiotic is a challenge. Oh sure, "crush it up and put it in her food" is what people will tell me (such as the vet). Nope. She smells/tastes that and decides she no longer wants the food. The worst part is these suckers are big.
It's weird that they're not able to make this pills into tasty snacks. Have you tried powderizing it and mixing it with something like gravy?
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:38 am
it isnt so bad to ber up all night
It is when it's because of a stabbing pain in the brain.
but that doesnt make us superheroes that go round bashing up baddies - we do so from an internal and external aspect and not for show
There are all different kinds of superheroes. Dr Strange, for example, is a mystic who stays under the radar. You could defeat baddies by revealing their karma to them and reforming them.

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

Nothing new here. Just work, and helping Vlad with his house hunt.

Gary, I used to have to wrap my cats in a towel. Then I would hold them, while shoving a pill into the side of their mouth. I would immediately have one hand underneath their jaw to hold their mouth shut, and somehow use the my index finger on the other hand to gently tap their forehead until they swallowed the pill. My previous vet told me the tapping on the forehead makes them swallow the pill. It worked for me. Also, there are Greenies Pill Pockets you can purchase at a pet store. One of my cats loved these, but you have to make sure the cat doesn't spit the pill out somewhere in the house. Cats can be sneaky little jerks, by pretending to swallow the pill, but spit it out in another room.

scottydog, Ireland is on my bucket list.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, cat pill pushers. :james:

It's National Macha Day (though not my favorite tea :tea: )
Just the usual here.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:56 am
Well, that was a weird night of tossing and turning with fever dreams. Overall, though, it feels like this thing might be almost over.
Hope you feel better.
RJDiogenes wrote:
It must be so great to be part of a family that still holds birthday parties for adult members of the family. My family is so scattered and so few and so dysfunctional, I have no idea what that's like :mellow:
I haven't had a Birthday Party since I was 13 and even that wasn't much. And honestly I'm not sure I'd want one at this point, so I don't blame them.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

Another day of enforced meditation, although I got to get some reading done at least. :book:
Cayla wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:35 pm
My previous vet told me the tapping on the forehead makes them swallow the pill. It worked for me.
That's interesting.
Also, there are Greenies Pill Pockets you can purchase at a pet store.
Also interesting. I'll have to see if I can get those the next time Chloe needs pills.
Lupine wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:44 pm
It's National Macha Day (though not my favorite tea :tea: )
Tea? I thought it was for tough women. :unsure:
Hope you feel better.
Sigh. Getting there.
I haven't had a Birthday Party since I was 13 and even that wasn't much. And honestly I'm not sure I'd want one at this point, so I don't blame them.
Do you do anything for your birthday at all, like buy yourself a special treat or something?

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Golf was fun and now it's time to pack and get ready for tomorrow morning's flight to Newark, NJ.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sounds like you're getting better very, very slowly but surely.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I kind of torn between wanting to celebrate my birthday and wishing people would not even notice it :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:35 pm
scottydog, Ireland is on my bucket list.
As it should be. The trip was better than we expected.
Lupine wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:44 pm
Awww, I wish you Aunt would make you feel important on your birthday. Everyone needs that occasionally.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 pm
Another day of enforced meditation, although I got to get some reading done at least. :book:
That's good news, assuming the reading wasn't exclusively the deciphering of small print on medicine bottles.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 pm
Do you do anything for your birthday at all, like buy yourself a special treat or something?
Sometimes I do that. Just something small, usually, like a bag of candy or something.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

gm
1.Most of the best heroes are unsung, quietly going about their heroic work. Our mothers, for instance. And also carers.
2.You could defeat baddies by revealing their karma to them and reforming them.
3.Do you do anything for your birthday at all, like buy yourself a special treat or something?
4.I kind of torn between wanting to celebrate my birthday and wishing people would not even notice it
5.Just something small, usually, like a bag of candy or something.
1. agreed...but when they become SUPERheroes., they gain the recognition that Buddhists do not wish for...
2 exactly what we cannot do. only oneself can work on ones karma - other people can only offer guidance and teachings, not do it for another. if we could fix the karma of anyone we chose, therewould be no baddies in the world today, already.... we cna only work on our own karma.
3 lets remember - not everybody celebrates the same occasions in the same way. im with Lupe on this one - NO PARTY!!!!
4 then celebrate decadians like i do - 1/10 you celbrate the res tof the time you ignore the day
5 i worry about your health!!
well....i lead an extra zoom yesterday - noone showed upo for lunchtime meditation, so as oi was hosting because i had attended the practice beforehand and been given the riegns....to pass to the lead for meditation when they arrived....and they didnt arrive....i could either close the meeting un met or lead...so i lead. :blush: :lol:
oh scortydog:* PIERRE ET PAPA VIN EXTRAORDINAIRE - FRANCE - 2022 a very yum white i pivcked up at Borde Hill Gardens on saturday and popped top on...reccommended if it sells over there.
okjmsies todaysies....
zoom.shop.chores.zoom.Tilly.study
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Friday, everyone :hello:

We leave for Shannon airport in an hour. I'm all packed up and now it's time to eat breakfast. It looks like I may have caught an Irish cold -- I'm congested with a sore throat and cough. I didn't sleep well, and hopefully I can catch some Zzzs on the plane.

It's a long trip home, especially flying against the jet stream from east to west. I doubt I'll be able to check in before tomorrow morning, so no worrying is allowed :warn:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 5:01 am
exactly what we cannot do. only oneself can work on ones karma - other people can only offer guidance and teachings, not do it for another...we cna only work on our own karma.
Yes, this is an important spiritual principle and one that I have trouble with since I'm always judging others :lol: There's actually an Encyclopedia of Heroism entry called "Heroic Autonomy", referring to the idea that the hero can get help and guidance (as you mention) but must do much of their heroic work on their own.
Madeliaette wrote:
i worry about your health!!
Please don't worry -- I eat lots of healthy food and not enough unhealthy food to worry my doctor, who says my bloodwork is excellent.
Madeliaette wrote:
oh scortydog:* PIERRE ET PAPA VIN EXTRAORDINAIRE - FRANCE - 2022 a very yum white i pivcked up at Borde Hill Gardens on saturday and popped top on...reccommended if it sells over there.
Fascinating. I looked up the wine on my app and its made from two grapes I've never heard of -- Colombard and Ugni Blanc. User mention it has tasting notes of citrus, apricot, green apple, pear, and strawberry :yum:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Well, I'm only slightly congested and I can look at the computer screen without flinching and bursting into tears, so there might be a normal day ahead.
scottydog wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:00 pm
Golf was fun and now it's time to pack and get ready for tomorrow morning's flight to Newark, NJ.
Have a nice flight. :flying:
Sounds like you're getting better very, very slowly but surely.
Actually, it's only been a couple of days-- but it was a long couple of days. :lol:
I kind of torn between wanting to celebrate my birthday and wishing people would not even notice it :lol:
I treat it like a promotion. :cooldude:
That's good news, assuming the reading wasn't exclusively the deciphering of small print on medicine bottles.
It was more like trying to decipher the Rorschach tests of sunspots on the blazing surface of the sun.
Madeliaette wrote:
but when they become SUPERheroes., they gain the recognition that Buddhists do not wish for...
That's only some superheroes.
exactly what we cannot do. only oneself can work on ones karma - other people can only offer guidance and teachings, not do it for another. if we could fix the karma of anyone we chose, therewould be no baddies in the world today, already.... we cna only work on our own karma.
I didn't say fix, I said reveal. They have to fix themselves.
then celebrate decadians like i do - 1/10 you celbrate the res tof the time you ignore the day
Us party people have extra-special parties on the decade. :D
well....i lead an extra zoom yesterday - noone showed upo for lunchtime meditation, so as oi was hosting because i had attended the practice beforehand and been given the riegns....to pass to the lead for meditation when they arrived....and they didnt arrive....i could either close the meeting un met or lead...so i lead. :blush: :lol:
You got stood up by the next host? I hope that's a ding on their karma.
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:19 am
It looks like I may have caught an Irish cold -- I'm congested with a sore throat and cough. I didn't sleep well, and hopefully I can catch some Zzzs on the plane.
Sorry, they're not going to let you back into America with an Irish cold. :no:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, sneezers and wheezers.

It's Wild Koala Day!

As for here; laundry is done so the rest of the day will consist of odds and maybe some ends.
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:19 am
We leave for Shannon airport in an hour. I'm all packed up and now it's time to eat breakfast. It looks like I may have caught an Irish cold -- I'm congested with a sore throat and cough. I didn't sleep well, and hopefully I can catch some Zzzs on the plane.

It's a long trip home, especially flying against the jet stream from east to west. I doubt I'll be able to check in before tomorrow morning, so no worrying is allowed :warn:
Safe journeys! :hello: Hope you feel better when you get home.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:15 am

Well, I'm only slightly congested and I can look at the computer screen without flinching and bursting into tears,
I would avoid News sites then. :lol:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

We just landed in Newark and are wiped out by these Irish colds. Our flight to Richmond leaves in 2 hours. We can't wait to collapse in our beds :sleep:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

Not quite as recovered as I thought, but at least my head cleared enough to come up with a cartoon for Sunday. I was starting to get worried. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:53 pm
Good morning, sneezers and wheezers.
Don't forget geezers. :oldman:
It's Wild Koala Day!
There's nothing like Koalas Gone Wild!
I would avoid News sites then. :lol:
There's never been a better time to go off the grid. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:50 pm
We just landed in Newark and are wiped out by these Irish colds. Our flight to Richmond leaves in 2 hours. We can't wait to collapse in our beds :sleep:
Do they serve Irish coffee at the airport bar? That would help.