I Think the Forum is Broken

Your opinion is important to us. Please continue to hold. Just kidding: Post your brainstorms here.

Moderator: Sean

Gary
Senator
Senator

I Think the Forum is Broken

Post by Gary »

I had originally tried to come back to the forum the last weekend of December. My password failed, which I thought was odd, so I clicked on the "Forgot Password" option and received the reset password via e-mail. I tried, to no avail, to log in and exceeded the number of login attempts at which point I was punished by having to solve a CAPCHA. I tried that several times and was resoundingly denied on each attempt. :geek:

I scoured the board everywhere for a link that would allow someone to e-mail the board Admin -- nothing. I e-mailed Abigail with a request for help but no answer. OK, I scour some more and think, "A-HA! I know RJDiogenes has several forum memberships, so perhaps a link on him will take me to one after which I can e-mail him." Well, one of his links on a board/store points to this forum; HOWEVER, clicking that link brings up a message that this forum is locked and prevents new users from registering :conf: :conf:

I figured I could guess at his e-mail address which, thankfully, worked. There needs to be a means for people to contact the board Admin(s) and maybe loosen things up a bit. I'm afraid that locking out new users scares off potential members.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Re: I Think the Forum is Broken

Post by emma glitch »

Gary wrote:I had originally tried to come back to the forum the last weekend of December. My password failed, which I thought was odd, so I clicked on the "Forgot Password" option and received the reset password via e-mail. I tried, to no avail, to log in and exceeded the number of login attempts at which point I was punished by having to solve a CAPCHA. I tried that several times and was resoundingly denied on each attempt. :geek:
I had a similar experience a few days earlier, but I had RJ's email address handy, so had an easier time getting back in. I needed my password for the new laptop, tried Forgot Password, exceeded the number of login attempts, and even though I was absolutely sure I was doing the CAPCHAs correctly, was discouraged when they got longer and longer. :( I'm not sure what I could have done if I hadn't known how to contact somebody. :unsure:
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

There's a Renext Facebook page in case of emergency.

As for the closed registration there's a reason for it, but I can't remember it now. One of us will have to stampede RJ in here. He might remember.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine wrote:There's a Renext Facebook page in case of emergency.

As for the closed registration there's a reason for it, but I can't remember it now. One of us will have to stampede RJ in here. He might remember.

I do not, and will not ever, use Facebook.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I just noticed this thread. We closed registration because I was fending off better than a hundred Spambots a day. I can open it up whenever we need to. It's a good point, though, that there should be a way to contact me or Renie (although she is very busy these days). I'll have to think about the best way to do that.

The link to ReNext on my store should bring people to the main forum index. I'm not sure why it took you to the closed registration message.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

What about setting up a separate email account (Yahoo, Gmail, whatever) and having applicants contact us for membership that way.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Now that you mention it, I think Sean did that. The question is, do I have a record of the account and password?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:Now that you mention it, I think Sean did that. The question is, do I have a record of the account and password?

Hmmmm. Maybe you left it in your other pair of pants? :conf:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

No, it was only a couple of years ago. I'm still wearing the same ones.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

well Sean might have the info - he is on my FB friends slist - you could track him down over there and ask, RJ...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's true. He's on my list as well.