Editors/Writers/Contributors to Nussey Mag

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Editors/Writers/Contributors to Nussey Mag

Post by Renie »

This is a thread about the roles contributions to Nussey Mag can take.

Note that these roles are based largely on the technical roles assigned by the Wordpress blog software I'm using to manage the mag.

Editor

The privileges of being an editor:
* Can write editorials at will
* Can publish any other content under existing categories at will
* Can create new categories
* Can edit and delete contributions by others

The responsibilities of being an editor:
* Must manage certain pre-determined categories
* Must read, edit (if necessary), and publish posts by contributors
* Must manage comments made on posts by contributors
* Must be willing to write under full, legal name
* Must be a member of Renaissance Next
* Must create a Wordpress account (it's free)

Regular Writer

The privileges of a regular writer:
* Can write and publish posts under any existing category at will

The responsibilities of a regular writer:
* Must moderate comments made on his/her own posts
* Must not publish under a pseudonym - can use first, last, or both names, but must use actual name

Contributing Writer

The privileges of a contributing writer:
* Can write, but not publish, posts under a specific category at will

The responsibilities of a contributing writer:

Contributor - NOTE: This category is intended for submissions only. That is, for the general public to submit stories, poetry, comics, articles, reviews, and so forth. If an individual plans on submitting more than once or twice, this isn't the role they should take. The general public will be required to submit and have one or two contributions published before they can apply to be a writer of the forms described above.

Description: A contributor submits their work through email or the form that will be provided on the site. Editors have to do a lot more work - they have to read through contributions, accept with revisions if needed, get an approval from the original writer after edits are made, and publish the submission.

The privileges of a contributor:
* None

The responsibilities of the contributor:
* None

_________

If you would like to have one of the roles above, please post in this thread. I'm still working out the categories, but I'll have a Categories Thread in the near future (and will be taking suggestions), so you can go there to see what you might be interested in.
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Re: Editors/Writers/Contributors to Nussey Mag

Post by Sean »

I'd like to be a regular writer, or editor, whichever you see fit. I'd mainly post satirical articles, and reviews of humerous things, like an ad for an As seen on TV product, or an odd item from the 99 cent store.. I'd also like to be a video contributer, submitting videos from Youtube and the like featuring the fine arts, or other videos that spark interest, and seem popular on the site. :)
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I'd like to be a regular writer, contributing stories, poems and possibly opinion pieces. I'll also be an editor if you want. :hello:

I can also contribute cartoons, artwork and photography if you like. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

I'll stick my hand up as a regular writer, and if time allows later an editor if you need one.

I'm thinking of book reviews, movie reviews, reviews of old albums that aren't well known.

There's heaps of poetry I'm uncovering which I like more than I thought I would :)

Some samples of these are in ReNext.

Maybe a serial story? That might be fun. Or, if we're disciplined enough, a round robin story?

I could write for a comic/ comic strip - just don't ask me to draw! :)

Just one question: why our real names? Is it an accountability thing? Just asking.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

A Round Robin story is a nice idea. We had one going before the Apocalypse, but now it's lost forever. That's one of the Threads I really wish we could have recovered. :(
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Yeah, a Round Robin story sounds great!

Cool, I'm going to chip away at the layout a bit today to get things moving along.

As for serialized stories, I already have on in the works for myself, so go ahead and get started; by the time the site is released, you'll have a few installments ready to go. You can release them daily, weekly, or sporadically. That's the great thing about a mag --- it's a dynamic, living creature. :)
Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

I wish I had more to contribute, cause this is a cool idea. I tend to be rather lazy and uncreative, unfortunately. :lol: And I'll admit I'm not comfortable publishing private information (real names included) on the net, in almost any format. That may be in part due to not being a professional writer or editor, but it's just a form of info that I'm extremely cautious about.
:knight:

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.
Far in the distance is my wish under moonlight.

On my way home, I remember only good days.
On my way home, I remember all the best days.
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Go on, jump in! Until you do, you'll never know how badly wrong it can go!!

Ummm, did I type that aloud? :D
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, my real name is all over teh internets and I don't get more than two or three death threats in a week.

Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Yeah, I understand that some people would have an issue publishing their real name, which is why I wanted to make sure there was a category of contributions where that isn't required. :)

I want to make the mag project straddle both the anonymous internet and the legit paper publications, which is why I want those who are regular writers or editors (for the most part, we could make exceptions) publish their real (at least first or last) names.
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

No, I have no problem with using my real name (at the appropriate juncture :D ), I just wondered if you thought it gave the place a more 'professional' feel and also makes us accountable for what we write (unlike a certain no-holds-barred subforum in another place), which again I don't have a problem with.

It has to happen eventually. May as well happen here. :)
― Terry Pratchett
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^ I have no problem using my real name, especially if it's attached to something I'm proud of, or proud to be a part of. That...and the fact that any pseudonyms I normally come up with stink.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

Renie, I have a question which you might be better suited to answer. Out of curiosity, suppose I have a story that might be fun to read but I don't have a lot of info on its origin - i.e. a ghost story. If I have no details on possible authors and so forth, would it simply have a tag like "A Spanish legend"?
:knight:

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.
Far in the distance is my wish under moonlight.

On my way home, I remember only good days.
On my way home, I remember all the best days.
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Post by Renie »

Hi Uni,

I think that as long as you've made a reasonable attempt to determine its origin and can't, "A Spanish Legend," etc, is a fine way to express that. :)