Your Favorite Quotes!

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Your Favorite Quotes!

Post by RJDiogenes »

I've been meaning to start this Thread for a while, but kept forgetting. Today, however, I came across the perfect quote to start off with:

"I grew up on Star Trek. I believe in the final frontier."
- Barack Obama

:D

Your turn. ;)
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Your Favorite Quotes!

Post by mudshark »

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress."
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain, from Following the Equator)

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
- Frank Zappa, in The Real Frank Zappa Book
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity"- unknown.

"The fire is not out of control, it's just not burning where they want it"- nightly news describing a fire in Santa Clarita.
Kestra
Pleb
Pleb

Post by Kestra »

I'm a quote addict. Here's a rather large selection.

"Friendship is when people know all about you but like you anyway."
--Anonymous

"Life is short ... eat dessert first!"
--Jacques Torres

"Destiny, John, is a fickle bitch."
--"Lost"

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
--Leo Buscaglia

Some from B5--which I've just been working my way through:

Sometimes doing the right thing doesn't change anything.
--Sinclair

There are things in the universe billions of years older than either of our races. They are vast, timeless. And if they are aware of us at all, it is as little more than ants…and we have as much chance of communicating with them as an ant has with us. We know. We've tried. And we've learned we can either stay out from underfoot, or be stepped on ... They are a mystery. And I am both terrified and reassured to know that there are still wonders in the universe…that we have not yet explained everything.
--G'Kar

And if you've made it this far through the post, some of my favorites from "Mansfield Park":

"Life seems nothing more than a quick succession of busy nothings."

"I have no talent for certainty."

"There are as many forms of love as there are moments in time."

"Surely you and I are beyond speaking when words are clearly not enough."

"Beware of fainting fits. Beware of swoons. Run mad as often as you choose but do not faint."

"No man dies of love but on the stage."

"Gentlemen, please. Fanny Price is as fearful of praise and notice as other women are of neglect."

"It could have turned out differently, I suppose. But it didn't."
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Nice. I'll have to look up the exact wording of the B5 quote that convinced me to watch the show on a regular basis. :)

Lupy, that "stupidity" quote is one of my favorites. :D

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."
- Thomas Jefferson
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

DeaconBlues
Lictor
Lictor

Post by DeaconBlues »

Science must be made as simple as possible to explain, but no simpler.
-Albert Einstein
History is written by the victors, edited by the self appointed morally superior, stripped of life by education, and forgotten by the average person.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"I'm the same boy I used to be."
- Steve Winwood

B)

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Some of my favorite

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

"Failure isn't an option. It comes bundled with Windows."- anyone who bought Windows Vista

“Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.” - Randy Pausch

And a bunch from my music teacher...because, to be honest, I practically worship the man.

"Life is too short to sing wrong notes"-Norman Zogaib

"Every day, I have to remind myself that it takes a very special person to be a Bass..."-Norman zogaib

"You know you're a music dork when you find your mistakes funny."-Norman Zogaib

" Don't accept half-assed work. You can do much better for yourself" - Norman Zogaib
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"The most sophisticated people I know-- inside they're all children. We never really lose a certain sense we had when we were kids."

-- Jim Henson

:yes:

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

" You have to be inside the music for the music to be inside of you."- Dr. Donald Lang

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

As everybody probably already knows, the legendary Forry Ackerman has died at the age of 92, even though we expected him to be around forever. :( I saw this quote Posted at TrekBBS; I have no idea who these guys are, but they got it right:

"Forry Ackerman died at age 11. He was 11 for 81 years."

--Don Webb and John Joseph Adams

RIP, Forry.

mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

RJDiogenes wrote:As everybody probably already knows, the legendary Forry Ackerman has died at the age of 92, even though we expected him to be around forever. :( I saw this quote Posted at TrekBBS; I have no idea who these guys are, but they got it right:

"Forry Ackerman died at age 11. He was 11 for 81 years."

--Don Webb and John Joseph Adams

RIP, Forry.
From here:
Don Webb is an SF/fantasy/horror writer and a writing instructor for the UCLA Extension Creative Writing Program (online) and a teacher at a reform school in central Texas. He first met Uncle Forry in 1990 at a dinner for the International Conclave of the Temple of Set, of which Forry was an honorary member. Don toured the Ackermansion on several occasions, and on his most memorable visit came across an old issue of Amazing Stories containing one of his earliest stories and had the pleasure of signing it for Forry. Like a few other thousand people, he would often sit at the feet of Mr. Sci-Fi at various Worldcons and other gatherings.
John Joseph Adams would appear to be a SF critic who blogs: http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/blog/author/slushgod/page/2/ He may do other stuff, as well, but this is one of the first things I found.

Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I guess Don Webb has been around for a while if he appeared in an old Amazing Stories, but I don't think I've heard of him. I don't recognize any of the titles listed on his Wiki page and it gives no indication of when they were published.

Since John Joseph Adams blogs for F&SF (or did up until last July, anyway), I checked the latest issue. He's listed as an Assistant Editor in the indicia; but then, Harlan Ellison is still listed as the Film Editor. :veryhappy:

mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Post by mudshark »

I hadn't heard of them before, either but I'm not that up on the goings-on of Ackerman's inner circle, anyway. I knew who he was and some of the things he's been involved with, but that's about it.

DeaconBlues
Lictor
Lictor

Post by DeaconBlues »

"Whatever it is, I'm against it. From morning until night, I protest it. I'm against it."
-sung by Grocho Marx in Horsefeathers

And since it is around time for the new administration in the US, another classic song of his
"The last guy nearly ruined this place. He didn't know what to do with it. If you think this countries bad of now,
just wait till I get through with it."
-Sung by Grocho Marx in Duck Soup
History is written by the victors, edited by the self appointed morally superior, stripped of life by education, and forgotten by the average person.