3D Printing...

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Re: 3D Printing...

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

RJDiogenes wrote:Fantastic. :geek:

You should do a time-lapse of something being printed. That would be amazing. :D
Lord_Plecostomus wrote:You drop the dice the top, a series of baffles roll the dice randomly and they collect neatly in a tray. No more dice under the table, stuck in cleavage, flying across the room never to be seen again or landing in the snacks. I hate when that happens!
That's a great idea. You could also print the many-sided dice. Which brings up another question: What about products that require stamping or painting?
3D printed dice would be troublesome for a variety of reasons though I'm sure I could make some large novelty dice....

RJDiogenes wrote:
My customer wanted two towers,
Guy by the name of Tolkien? :unsure:
Funny, I made the same joke over the phone. :D
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

:D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

I'm feeling quite a bit better than I was earlier, so I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

I was showing RJ my collection of failed prints, and explaining to him how I can recycle most of them. I am working on a method to turn soda bottles (PET resin) into usable material for printing. It's a bit more complicated than it seems at first glance. More on that tomorrow too... :)
Witty comment goes here.
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

RJDiogenes wrote: I wonder if it's possible to print out a 3D Mandelbrot Set. :lol:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:195169

Here is a model of one that I found while looking for something else overnight...
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lord_Plecostomus wrote:I'm feeling quite a bit better than I was earlier, so I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
I'm glad you're feeling better. :yes:
I was showing RJ my collection of failed prints, and explaining to him how I can recycle most of them. I am working on a method to turn soda bottles (PET resin) into usable material for printing. It's a bit more complicated than it seems at first glance. More on that tomorrow too... :)
That's a cool idea. Not only is it recycling, but it probably makes them worth a lot more than a 5-cent deposit.
Lord_Plecostomus wrote:Here is a model of one that I found while looking for something else overnight...
That's pretty sweet. Mandelbrot statuary is probably very marketable. What's the name of that place that sells nerdy merchandise, like the 2001 Monolith action figure? Geek-something. You could probably sell them Mandelbrot stuff.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

I prefer to sell directly to people not dealers.

So if you want one you know how to reach me. ;)

I'm thinking translucent material with a light behind it, might make a nice desk display. I'm not an artsy kind of guy I just handle the technical side of things.
Witty comment goes here.
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Hose adapter for a company that makes custom woodworking machinery.
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ You could make props for sci-fi fan films or independent films.
Lord_Plecostomus wrote:So if you want one you know how to reach me. ;)
Mayyyybe. How much would a Mandelbrot cost? :unsure:

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Nuked from orbit, see post below.
Last edited by Lord_Plecostomus on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witty comment goes here.
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Well.

I opened the file in my software, and there are significant problems with it.

Whoever rendered it, rendered certain sections too thin for the software to slice. Which means the curls and tails won't print at all.

You'd end up with a jagged ameoba-shaped lump of plastic. Frankly you can do that yourself by melting Lego in your waffle-iron. :D

I'll send a message to the author and see if we can't redesign it. Depends on the skill of the author and his software. I'm not up to the challenge -- I don't have the right kind of software for that kind of manipulation.
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Thank you very much. I don't want you to go to too much trouble, though. It may just be impossible to 3D print a Mandelbrot, the way all those little dendrites taper off into nothingness.....

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Well the way he modeled it he made the thin sections way too thin, and it lost a lot of detail.

You could increase the size of it and that would make the thinner parts thick enough to print.

Again, I don't do that sort of thing I don't have the ability to make those kinds of manipulations... but this shows that the technology does have limits. A lot of the focus is on all the amazing things it can do, but we haven't really pushed the limits of what we have already. This problem I am describing right now is one of the "classic blunders" in modeling-to-print however... He should have known better.
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, in hindsight, the Mandelbrot Set was probably a bad choice for 3D printing, it being an abstract notion and all. :lol:

Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

RJDiogenes wrote:Well, in hindsight, the Mandelbrot Set was probably a bad choice for 3D printing, it being an abstract notion and all. :lol:
Right I think I'll stick with practical things. Like glow in the dark bra-hardware and carbon-fiber reinforced aerospace grade spoons. :loopy:
Witty comment goes here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Those fancy bikini tops from the old Pulp covers would be a good product.