Check-In Thread #81: From Tennessee To Canada

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Check-In Thread #81: From Tennessee To Canada

Post by RJDiogenes »

And here we have our new Check-In Thread, inscrutable name courtesy of Jim.

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

My TV may soon be joining the broken things list. The picture is turning sporadically green. :unsure:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-In Thread #81: From Tennessee To Canada

Post by Lupine »

^That's not a good sign.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Or a good color. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM...am also keeping an eye on my stove - that may soon join the appliance failing list - it took me 50 minutes to cook my hash browns for dinner last night - and the bag says 15-20... :( i dont mind so much - i would enjoy a new stove - brand new, clean, spotless,drool drool...... BUT delivery/installation/removal of old one are a hassle, so i will wait a but longer if i can.
ahead today -0 sposed to be local council elections of some sort - shant bother voting - not supporting any of the candidates... but will do B duties and evening cleaning job and fill in thegap with something - maybe a plot trot or shop trek.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Today is Thursday, if my calculations are correct.... :unsure:
Madeliaette wrote:BUT delivery/installation/removal of old one are a hassle, so i will wait a but longer if i can.
Same here. I'd have to take my old TV to the dump, and the thing weighs about as much as I do. :no:

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Over here buying a new electrical appliance is more comfortable: if you buy a new electrical device in a shop, you're supposed to bring the old one if it's portable; if the new one is so large and heavy they have to deliver it to your place, they must take the old one back with them. In both cases they must bring the old device to the recycling center for you at no costs and regardless of where you bought it.
This way the government tries to ensure that as much as possible gets recycled. Germany is very poor in minerals and ores, hence we recycle almost everything. If you buy for example a BMW about one half of the car is recyled material. Not just the obvios (steel, aluminium) butparts you'd never suspect to be recycled: the rubber mats between the layers of metal that are supposed to dampen the rattling are made of old tyres, the underside if the dashboard is made of old wine corks and the dashboard itself was a heap of plastic flower pots in a previous incarnation. And if instead of leather you choose the cheaper plastic-fiber cloth for the seat covers, they were plastic bottles once. :D
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Howdy. :hello:

I think I forgot a check-in again.

Been doing a little spring cleaning. Every time I do chores, it just throws me right off! :lol:

Not much going on here. Same old, same old.

Hope everyone has a very nice day! :thumbsup:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Thursday, everyone. :hello:

I hope to get some writing done today. That's about it, besides lunch with a friend.
huggle wrote: If you buy for example a BMW about one half of the car is recyled material.... the underside of the dashboard is made of old wine corks
Glad to see that drinking and driving can go together in the drinking's afterlife. :lol:

Hope y'all have a groovy day B)
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

A green TV screen is a sure sign of imminent death for the TV.

I did not know that BMW's were made out of recycled material. Most stores here, will take the old appliances for a small fee. The average is $25. My city's garbage service will do 2 special pick-ups per household, per month, on Fridays.

Good morning!

Today, I am working at the church to help set up for the rummage sale. Although, I was there last night, and it looks like they got a pretty good head start on the set up yesterday. If I don't put in a whole day there, I will do some shopping. I need dog food, a few grocery items, and I want to browse the thrift store for some summer shirts.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

A lot of places here won't take the old appliances, and those that do will usually charge, can be anything from £10 or so through to £100+ depending on size of device, whether or not the company actually want to take old appliances, etc. We're really not good at recycling in the UK.

I have a boat trip on the Thames this afternoon, with afternoon tea included, so I'm skipping lunch.

This morning I've been catching up with admin.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Trash pickup today.
huggle wrote:Over here buying a new electrical appliance is more comfortable: if you buy a new electrical device in a shop, you're supposed to bring the old one if it's portable; if the new one is so large and heavy they have to deliver it to your place, they must take the old one back with them. In both cases they must bring the old device to the recycling center for you at no costs and regardless of where you bought it.
Wish they had that here, though when our now washing machine was delivered the guy did take a pair of old ones we had- which he will cannibalize for parts.
Jim Gamma wrote:We're really not good at recycling in the UK.
We're actually pretty good in the High Desert as collecting recyclables to sell is a cottage industry. It's a good way to make a little extra money.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

Like Jim says - it can be costly here...for delivery, discconnection/removal of old appliance and connection of new one i would be paying a minimum of £35 on top the stove itself - it also means having to be at home and not being able to go out all morning, or afternoon, or even day....if it was just delivery, i could get it here for £4 - but the plug thing goes thru an electrical box screwed in the wall so would have to be cut off and the wiring fixed into the box - i could get that done separately for £35 - so thats £39 before we look at tipping the old one - L might be able to fit it in the car, but i wouldntlet her shift it til her arm is 100% better instead of 'some' better. i might be able to get one from Currys - i think they charge £35 flat fee for delivery/installation/removal of old - but im not sure if its just computers or if its stoves too.
anyways day is done and i am super-pooped! i finished b duties And popped off to Rustingon after lunch to search for 2 items i couldnt get and one i could, plus dump some dollars in the bank machine. i then pottered off to the plot - wind strong but no rain, so.... watered and also fed the gooseberries, then i had my job.,.. now tis food, wine, flower-sniffing and zzzing
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Nietzsche was wrong. Today didn't kill me or make me stronger. :mellow:
huggle wrote:if you buy a new electrical device in a shop, you're supposed to bring the old one if it's portable;
There are some places here where I could do that. I think Best Buy will accept your old stuff. But the Quincy dump is closer, anyway.
This way the government tries to ensure that as much as possible gets recycled.
Our government likes to recycle, too. For example, our current president is made from recycled Boss Hogg from The Dukes of Hazzard.
jgc wrote:I think I forgot a check-in again.
:mellow:
Been doing a little spring cleaning. Every time I do chores, it just throws me right off! :lol:
If I ever did any cleaning, you may never see me again. :lol:
scottydog wrote:Glad to see that drinking and driving can go together in the drinking's afterlife. :lol:
:lol:
Cayla wrote:A green TV screen is a sure sign of imminent death for the TV.
Indeed. The green periods are increasing.
My city's garbage service will do 2 special pick-ups per household, per month, on Fridays.
That's a thought. I'm not sure if my city would pick up a sixteen-ton TV from 2002.
Jim Gamma wrote:I have a boat trip on the Thames this afternoon, with afternoon tea included, so I'm skipping lunch.
Whoa, that sounds nice.
Madeliaette wrote:it also means having to be at home and not being able to go out all morning, or afternoon, or even day....
True. And I also hate strangers coming into my house.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I'm a little territorial myself. It's my inner chimp.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Jim, did you enjoy your boat trip on the Thames? Someday The Wife and I would love to do that. :yes: