Science Tidbits #5

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Science Tidbits #5

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, that's fascinating. Apparently most planets are average size. :lol: It's kind of surprising, though, that a higher percentage of verified planets aren't gas giants-- there was a time when that's all we could see. Still, that's a good number of Earth-sized to double-Earth-sized worlds.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:13 pm
Orpheus wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:21 am
"Reality" shows are cheaper to produce than scripted drama. I guess that was the compromise that got them one final season.
Wait, are we still talking about SHIELD? :lol:
Yeah, SHIELD was a natural. They spend so much time cooped up together on various air/space craft, bases, maybe now ISS.

Stay tuned for the Big Brother: Social Distancing /Shield: ISS crossover.

Episode 1: Menstrual Synchrony and PMS meet Alpha Male Syndrome and Testosterone Poisoning
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The Real House-Spouses of SHIELD.

This is interesting: Ancient Frogs of Antarctica.. More evidence that Antarctica was a balmy paradise.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Antarctica was further north back then, so it shouldn't be surprising. But the article does raise an interesting thought: what were things like as the climate started to cool? When did the last tree die? :unsure:

And in other news: we might have photographed an exo-planet..
No word whether there are frogs there or not. :frog:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:46 pm
Antarctica was further north back then, so it shouldn't be surprising. But the article does raise an interesting thought: what were things like as the climate started to cool? When did the last tree die? :unsure:
That's a sad image. Dead frogs and dead trees. I wonder how they adapted to the six-month nights, or if everyone was dead by the time it got that far South.
And in other news: we might have photographed an exo-planet..
No word whether there are frogs there or not. :frog:
Where there's life, there's frogs. :frog1: I'm pretty sure. That's some really cool research and deduction. It seems like they could apply that to other stars as well. The inference about the massive ring system on a relatively small world is exciting. I really wish we could see this stuff.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Eventually.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:38 pm
Lupine wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:46 pm
That's a sad image. Dead frogs and dead trees. I wonder how they adapted to the six-month nights, or if everyone was dead by the time it got that far South.
There are Wood Frogs in Alaska, so I imagine that they Antarctica frogs hibernated.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That makes sense. My theory about hulking, hairy saber-toothed frogs was preliminary anyway. :mellow:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Though that would be far more entertaining.

Not to mention great B-movie potential. :Ahhh: :frog:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I put it in my idea file. :D :frog2:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Think the Antarctic frogs croaked? You are only half right..." .
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"The Global Warming threat that almost no one anticipated...."

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Now this looks pretty interesting. I haven't read them yet, but I'm going to bet that nobody anticipates a full-scale invasion. :D

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

I like that they ask about extraterrestrial life and not intelligent life.
For with the latter it'd be pretty difficult to find any on our own panet...
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 pm
Now this looks pretty interesting.
At the moment (sorry that I didn't notice this post before now) I'd guess that we'll either detect microbes in the geyser plumes on Europa or Enceladus or we'll telescopically detect chlorophyll on some exo-planet.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

huggle wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:49 pm
I like that they ask about extraterrestrial life and not intelligent life.
For with the latter it'd be pretty difficult to find any on our own panet...
I wonder if there are any planets where intelligence and stupidity are mutually exclusive. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:13 pm
At the moment (sorry that I didn't notice this post before now) I'd guess that we'll either detect microbes in the geyser plumes on Europa or Enceladus or we'll telescopically detect chlorophyll on some exo-planet.
Those are the most likely. I think the chances of detecting a high-end civilization are practically nil. Although the possibility of seeing artifacts of some kind is probably marginally more likely.